>I'm still unsure whether online RPGs are for me or not.. WoW seemed really dull to me.
WoW shouldn't be used as a gauge for online RPGs. Everquest is the definitive MMORPG, but it's old and hardcore. Everquest II is prettier and more player-friendly. Vanguard will be a good game once they work out the kinks. LOTR Online is turning out to be incredible. And there are tons of others out there spanning all kinds of genres. And WoW isn't one of the better ones. ;)

I tend to dislike MMO's which discourage you from playing in groups and exploring regardless of your level and race. In WoW, you are on your own, with your own set of quests. Players with different races spawn at different points in the world not to mention the sucky concept of good v/s bad.

I like Ragnarok for its open ended game play and allowing players to play in groups irrespective of their class, race and level. Really looking forward to Ragnarok II.

>I like Ragnarok for its open ended game play and allowing players to
>play in groups irrespective of their class, race and level.
Now if only the game looked less like a console RPG. ;)

I played lotr during beta. It was all right. Getting exp through quests is a nice change, but I got bored with too many quests being "talk to random npc's"

Not a bad game, but not something I want to pay money for.

FFXI is my main MMO, if I got a second it would be Dungeons and Dragons

Runescape was tight :)

ick... The only problem I have with runescape is its leveling system. When I want to be a mage why am forced to multiclass so I can fight decent people?

You don't have to.. there are plenty of Mage pures. The only problem is if you want to do certain quests or mini-games that involve specific skills.. These are centered around all skills so if you want to be a pure then some quests/mini-games will be impossible for you to do.

yeah it sucks.

I tend to dislike MMO's which discourage you from playing in groups and exploring regardless of your level and race.

Most MMOs I've tried the problem isn't so much the game preventing you from working as a team as the other players.
Mostly you find highlevel players who won't have anything to do with lower level players, guilds that require you to be level 100 or more to even be considered as a member, and general hostility to inexperienced players overall.

As a result I tend to go it alone (as you're pretty much forced to) from the outset.
Games that make that impossible tend to turn me off...

i personally never got into those sort of games, bf2, C&C3 etc just as good online functions + they are all free! ~ no subscriptions to pay

Mostly you find highlevel players who won't have anything to do with lower level players, guilds that require you to be level 100 or more to even be considered as a member, and general hostility to inexperienced players overall.

Guess I am really good at making friends, since I always manage to find someone to team up with me. ;-)

They prolly just feel really bad for you..

Where does 'feeling bad' fit in an MMO scenario where its almost natural to team up with someone to attain your goals.

lol I was just joking..

Besides, people usually look for others who are not noobs to team up with..

Low level players != n00bs

Yes, of course people don't like teaming up with n00bs, but they would at least try to help out low level players who know the tricks of trade.

Low level players = noobs 99% of the time;

Noobs are the low level players unless someone has decided to start over in the game, and wants more than one character.. which I don't understand at all.. why have multiple characters when you can have one super-powerful one?

> Low level players = noobs 99% of the time;
Everyone has to go through that phase so that is not a valid statement.

> why have multiple characters when you can have one super-powerful one?
Because they don't play only for power. Some real hardcore fans play the game with each and every class just to enjoy the game to its fullest.

> Low level players = noobs 99% of the time;
Everyone has to go through that phase so that is not a valid statement.

Yea, it is a valid statement. Everyone must go through the 'learning' phase, and thus everyone was once a noob, no?

Low level players are beginners
Beginners are referred to as noobs
Therefore low level players are noobs ;-) Some of Aristotle's Logic for ya

If you must know, n00bs is a derogatory term for someone who is really thick headed not to understand things even after doing them for a while, one who is lazy and lousy and is a troll.

Beginners is the word you must be referring to. ;-)

I would think that technically, a beginner proper would be referred to as a 'newbie', the original, mostly objective phrase. 'N00b' and similar variants are basically a subjective, insulting, variation on the original, and seem to refer not to beginners per se, but to those who not only don't know anything, but won't know anything...the ones who seem to take a strange pride in being willfully ignorant about the subject.

Please note that this is not directed at any specific game; it's quite possible I'm incorrect there. I'm basing my statements off of what I've seen at various message boards online, and I freely acknowledge that the internal cultures may be different.

From the games that I have played, "noob" does refer to newbie, or beginner. Most of the time it is used in this manner to recognize players who are new to the game.. but, it is also used in a derogatory sense to criticize those who make 'noob' mistakes or who appear to not know what they are doing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.