hi guys!!.. this thread is for everybody who want to suggest book titles that they enjoyed reading and loved, we can also talk about anything about books..:)

Recommended Answers

All 287 Replies

the whole Dragon Lance series is the best. The drizzt series is also awesome. Both are far superior to more popular books (e.g lord of the rings, harry potter, eragon)

commented: Hey, the first on-topic reply of the thread! +6

They're not high fantasy, but I've enjoyed the Thursday Next and Nursery Crimes books by Jasper Fforde. I'd say they're worth checking out.

commented: On-topic. +6

The Harry Potter books are awesome :)

I also enjoyed the Da Vinci code, 1984, Grendel,..

i loved lord of the rings trilogy.. can't wait for harry potter 7... im not sure if Dragon Lance series is available here in the Philippines @Sturm..
im reading david baldacci's first novel "absolute power".. it's a great thriller..

i dont understand what everyone sees in the lord of the rings i found that they just crapped on way too much those books....

I like harry potter always good for an easy read although the cover on this new book just looks.....Gay almost enough incentive not to buy it.

I liked Memnoch the Devil. I think that its one you would probably enjoy Josh although there is sort of a gross part towards the end involving that certain time of the month...

I also liked Hearts in Atlantis and The Dark Tower(still on the 7th one big ass series)

My advice: history books. Go to an actual library and find books that are a little older and pick your favorite topic. Read them now, because in 20 years the history you read is likely not to be the same.

commented: Good advice. And in particular, an on-topic post. +6

Some of my more-recent favorites (in no particular order).

The Innocent Man
By John Grisham
ISBN: 978-0385517232

Speak
By Laurie Halse Anderson
ISBN: 978-0141310886

Plague Maker
By Tim Downs
ISBN: 978-1595540225

commented: ... +6

i dont understand what everyone sees in the lord of the rings i found that they just crapped on way too much those books....

I agree, the movies were tight though

I like harry potter always good for an easy read although the cover on this new book just looks.....Gay almost enough incentive not to buy it.

I'm excited too.. I have no clue what is gonna happen now that Dumbledore is gone.. :( I haven't seen the cover.

I liked Memnoch the Devil. I think that its one you would probably enjoy Josh although there is sort of a gross part towards the end involving that certain time of the month...

:D

My advice: history books. Go to an actual library and find books that are a little older and pick your favorite topic. Read them now, because in 20 years the history you read is likely not to be the same.

Library? :-/

Here is a Picture of the Childrens version of the book

heh heh he has a mustache

"children's version of the book" ?

I like detective books

harlen coben
ian rankin
michael conolly

etc....

commented: How am I supposed to down-rep you if you post on-topic things? Huh? Geez you're mean. +6

I like high fantasy and science fiction.

commented: I have no idea what 'high fantasy' is. +6

Library?

A storehouse for books, usually accompanied by audio/video materials and magazine or similar materials. With rules regarding borrowing/returning of said materials. And you probably need to go to one; please look up those books I've listed elsewhere.

commented: Informative! +6

I think he knows what a library is.

Here is a Picture of the Childrens version of the book

I have serious reservations about harry potters' books. One could read it but for the depth of incantations and voodoo/magic involved.
Yes, Yes it is fiction, but one wonders whether those things written about in such detail are sincerely the figment of the writers imagination!

To my mind, the writer does know in reality what is being written about. Definitely not recommended for children:S

John grisham books are heluva! That guy is real tight!:icon_cool:
check out :
The Last Juror
The runaway jury
The Pelican Brief

i like john grisham

the rainmaker
the testament
the runaway jury
the firm
the partner

also harry potter rocks

commented: Okay okay you're making an on-topic post... +6

I have serious reservations about harry potters' books. One could read it but for the depth of incantations and voodoo/magic involved.
Yes, Yes it is fiction, but one wonders whether those things written about in such detail are sincerely the figment of the writers imagination!

seriously? You got to be kidding. You got to wonder if god is a figment of YOUR imagination. You think the writers delusional? So your saying that if you write in detail, essentially being a good writer, your delusional. Sure.... I have written a few short stories before and I seem quite sane.

And whats wrong with "voodoo" magic besides the fact that it is a bunch of crap?

And whats different with harry potter? The next thing you will be saying is that fiction should be illegal.

commented: Have some self control. You derailed the thread like a baby on a cliff. -1

jehovas witnesses dont let thier kids read harry potter or watch lord of the rings.

commented: Thanks for the harmless discussion amid fire. +6

they are fanatics and fundementalists.

commented: Why are you being flagrantly off-topic? -1

To my mind, the writer does know in reality what is being written about. Definitely not recommended for children:S

whoa.. Are you proposing that perhaps magic is real? lmfao.. Well thats quite interesting..

The Harry Potter books are a great read.. yes, even for children.

jehovas witnesses dont let thier kids read harry potter or watch lord of the rings.

thats cuz they're retarded

commented: One or two whine posts was enough. Don't encourage the children. -1

> thats cuz they're retarded

I'm not a jehova's witness, but please don't insult them.

commented: Off-topic? Trying to quash the off-topic bigotry? Which way to rep? +6

> thats cuz they're retarded

I'm not a jehova's witness, but please don't insult them.

pity them, perhaps...

commented: When trains derail, you're supposed to push them back on, not flip out and kill people. Er, threads. -1
commented: Equalizer +18

thats cuz they're retarded

yeah, i know you meant that in a nice way but youd better apoligize or it may turn out like the jackson thing all over again :(

commented: An attempt to rerail? Or more off-topic chatter? Hmm... +6

It is just an opinion dude.You guys should lighten up.

commented: Bullshit, it's elitist bigotry. But your post moves the conversation in an on-topic direction. +6
commented: Ah, screw off Rashakil +12

Heinlein and Philip K Dick, and Tolkien of course.

Stranger in a Strange Land
The Man in the High Castle
Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep?
Starship Troopers

and many others.

commented: Thread rerailment operative! +6

if I had kids I'd want them to READ the Lord of the Rings instead of watching the movie, which is very weak and has several glaring errors in the representation of the storyline.

And I don't see what anyone sees in Harry Potter, I'd rather try to interest those hypothetical kids in other things to read...

commented: You made an on-topic post! +6

Anyone read "The Soddit"?
It's a book that takes the mickey out of the Hobbit :)
It's got some really gd sketch art in it!

commented: An on-topic post. +6
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.