Yeah with World War 2 only a couple of years earlier i think the focus would have been more on the War effort and less on learning how to read and write. There still would have been some of this going on but nowhere near what we would today.

Really though i never said that it would not have been a popular book just that it would not have been as popular and as big an uproar around it as we see with things like Harry Potter. What i have said is simply my opinion as to why this may be the case.

I don't know what year exactly it was that they started pushing for advanced high school courses, but after World War 2 we went into the Cold War and the United States HAD to be better than the Soviet Union and the government thought in order to do that our kids needed to be better educated so they pushed for much more advanced high school classes like Calculus, Physics, and things like that. I think that would greatly increase the literacy rate at the time.

But it would not be an imediate literacy increase it would still take a while for that to build up. Not only that but your starting with 1 generation getting those skills you still have everyone over the age you leave high school left without any of these skills.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. I just wanted to throw it in there.

Yeah with World War 2 only a couple of years earlier i think the focus would have been more on the War effort and less on learning how to read and write. There still would have been some of this going on but nowhere near what we would today.

Really though i never said that it would not have been a popular book just that it would not have been as popular and as big an uproar around it as we see with things like Harry Potter. What i have said is simply my opinion as to why this may be the case.

Well, I still don't think many people like the books.. more people love the movies and the games much more.. I personally have never read the LOTR books, and I don't know many who have. However, I like the HP books better then the movies.. I just think J.K. Rowling is a better author.

I don't know what year exactly it was that they started pushing for advanced high school courses, but after World War 2 we went into the Cold War and the United States HAD to be better than the Soviet Union and the government thought in order to do that our kids needed to be better educated so they pushed for much more advanced high school classes like Calculus, Physics, and things like that. I think that would greatly increase the literacy rate at the time.

Yea.. especially after sputnik (in the 50s?). Probably the 60s, 70s, and 80s were when education was becoming more and more important for the government.

i like books about lawyers, specially when they talk about specific laws and stuff, and it's weird cause I'd never want to be a lawyer.

Then I suspect you are a fan of john grisham.
I am one too! boy do I love court room brawls!

john grisham is also a great author

i loved the pelican brief, the client, the summons, the firm, a time to kill

my favorite is the chamber

ive only read the summons but i liked it

I listen to audio books now. I go through three or four a week.
At that rate I'm always looking for more material all the time.
I found a great website name http://www.podiobooks.com where
good authors read their books and distribute for free.
Some great books I can recomend to any lover of science fiction are:
7th Son: Book One - Descent by J.C. Hutchins
Science Fiction
http://www.podiobooks.com/podiobooks/book.php?ID=53

7th Son: Book Two - Deceit by J.C. Hutchins
Science Fiction
http://www.podiobooks.com/title/7th-son-book-two---deceit

Earthcore by Scott Sigler
Science Fiction
http://www.podiobooks.com/title/earthcore

I warn you. You can get hooked up. I'm not resposible for your addiction.

hehehe.. ok.. we will not hold you responsible if in case we got addicted..

I found a great website name http://www.podiobooks.com

Completely off topic, but I read that out loud and got a chuckle: "potty-o-books".

commented: funny American accent +5
commented: Tsk, tsk... +3

I listen to audio books now. I go through three or four a week.
At that rate I'm always looking for more material all the time.

hmm.. yea.. I prefer actually reading books myself..

Audio books work well while your driving and they cause less accidents then real books

wtf? While your driving? How is that not distracting? You try to pay attention to the novel and drive at the same time? How idiotic!

Or maybe you just cant multitask properly. Its no different to listening to music or what they are talking about on the radio

No.. I'd think it would be much more distracting than that. On the radio, you simply listen to music or short news stories with commercial breaks every once in a while. A complete audio story sounds a bit much.. but then again I have never tried it.

Its not as difficult as you might think maybe its just because im used to canberra drivers so you learn to do alot of things while driving

No.. I'd think it would be much more distracting than that. On the radio, you simply listen to music or short news stories with commercial breaks every once in a while. A complete audio story sounds a bit much.. but then again I have never tried it.

Maybe for you, but there are a lot of us that can handle listening to something and driving. I listen to audio books, too.

But maybe he's right. Josh seems to know more about the world than the rest of us... :icon_razz:

I've been listening to the Prey series by John Sandford. Get the unabridged versions. They are quite good driving fodder. Many books by Koontz are also excellent. Favorites are By the Light of the Moon, Odd Thomas, and the two Snow books Fear Nothing and Seize the Night

Does anyone enjoy listening to music and reading a book at the same time? I find that heavy metal music makes boring books much more fun to read. :-)

...and if that isn't enough to keep my mind occupied, I'll whistle along to the song. I think my mind was designed with a multicore CPU in mind.

commented: Got to make use of all those idle cycles. ;) +5

It really depends. I have a hard enough time of reading without accidentally reading through several pages only to realize I have no idea what happened that listening to music makes things just impossible for me.

hmm.. yea.. I prefer actually reading books myself..

Strange, from what you've said elsewhere I thought you preferred other media formats. I guess I was mistaken.

But maybe he's right. Josh seems to know more about the world than the rest of us

... When have I ever said such a thing?

... When have I ever said such a thing?

Never. No in so many words. You have used many, many more.
However that's irrelevant, if that's how you are coming accross to
many people.

many people.

How have I come across as so?

many people.

Sorry, my bad. I derailed this thread.
I really liked Digital Fortress by Dan Brown; same author that wrote The Da Vinci Code.

Sorry, my bad. I derailed this thread.
I really liked Digital Fortress by Dan Brown; same author that wrote The Da Vinci Code.

Yes, Digital Fortress was a pretty decent story. The only issue I have with Dan Brown's books, at least the three I have read, is that they are somewhat overly formulaic in the plot elements and development. Even so, they are at least an interesting read and he does have a good imagination for conspiracy fiction.

Many books by Koontz are also excellent. Favorites are By the Light of the Moon, Odd Thomas, and the two Snow books Fear Nothing and Seize the Night

Odd Thomas is my favorite of that serie by Koontz. Brother Odd, the latest, is not bad neither.
However I have the impression that this author, lately, is writing novels leading more to darkness, not horror, but ocult, mystic, I don't know how to say it. Nevertheless I enjoy his novels. The latest I read from him: Dark rivers of the heart

Yes, Digital Fortress was a pretty decent story. The only issue I have with Dan Brown's books, at least the three I have read, is that they are somewhat overly formulaic in the plot elements and development. Even so, they are at least an interesting read and he does have a good imagination for conspiracy fiction.

Did you enjoy Deception Point?. I presume you read it, since he doesn't have many and you read three.

Does anyone enjoy listening to music and reading a book at the same time? I find that heavy metal music makes boring books much more fun to read. :-)

I listened to hearts in atlantis while listening to a movie soundtrack i think it might have been resident evil: apocolypse. I found it too distracting and slowed me down in the end. Plus now when ever i listen to a song from that album i start thinking of hearts in atlantis. I would much rather have music and books seperate.

...and if that isn't enough to keep my mind occupied, I'll whistle along to the song. I think my mind was designed with a multicore CPU in mind.

Ever seen that episode of doctor who where they basically get an implant so that they can use their brain as a CPU to basically search through all the worlds events?

Did you enjoy Deception Point?. I presume you read it, since he doesn't have many and you read three.

No, I've not read that one yet. I've read 'Angels and Demons', 'Da Vinci Code', and 'Digital Fortress'. I'll probably pick up Deceptoin Point sometime from the used bookstore.

I've also read nearly all of Dean Koontz's, Stephen King's, Clive Barker's, and Robin Cook's novels.

No, I've not read that one yet. I've read 'Angels and Demons', 'Da Vinci Code', and 'Digital Fortress'. I'll probably pick up Deceptoin Point sometime from the used bookstore.

I found `Da Vinci Code' OK but overrated in my opinion. And `Angels and Demons' which is chronologically before `Da Vinci Cod' too forced.
Deception Point is different and intriguing until the end.

I've also read nearly all of Dean Koontz's, Stephen King's, Clive Barker's, and Robin Cook's novels.

So you have read `The Dark Tower' serie by Stephen King?. What do you think of them?. Where you happy with the ending?.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.