DimaYasny noted the Bartemius Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. I have read them and they are definitely worth reading. How is it anti-potter though?

I have spent the past hour reading this entire thread...I am astonished that nobody has mentioned Orson Scott Card...I absolutely LOVE his Ender's Game series...
(I thought the Speaker for the Dead trilogy was good but not as good as the rest of the other books...)
Additionally, I think only ONE person even mentioned Michael Crichton amid a full list of other authors...I didn't care much for his non-fiction books, but I LOVE his fiction books...
I don't think that anyone has mentioned the books co-authored by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child either...wonderful books...

DimaYasny noted the Bartemius Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. I have read them and they are definitely worth reading. How is it anti-potter though?

Bartemius? sorry about my spelling, I read it in Russian :)

anyhow, just think - every single concept in the book is exactly opposed to HP. HP says hogwarts - Stroud says - everyone learns at home. HP says gifted wizards - Stroud says anyone can learn, HP says magin in wands and the power is in the wizards - Stroud says all they do is use the demons' powers etc. but the way the book is written is pretty close to HP, I mean the way that a children's book manages to simply captivate adults as well as children :)

his Ender's Game series...

Its a series?

Ive only read one of them?
Battle school?

I think I mentioned one of his books and I love them. His fiction work is really amazing because he does a wonderful job of blending fact and fiction into a very well written and suspenseful story.

Its a series?

Ive only read one of them?
Battle school?

Yeah...Ender's Game was essentially a prequel to the Speaker for the dead trilogy (I liked the trilogy, but it was very slow reading - too descriptive...)
Then he wrote a whole bunch of other books based on some of the other characters from Enders Game about their life before and after Battle School - I liked those books much more than the trilogy...

Oh, and I'm currently reading the Recluce series by L.E. Modeslitt...Very good series so far...My only annoyance is that it's not chronologically written to follow the same characters all the time...Basically it's seperate books that tell the whole story of the world...

(I liked the trilogy, but it was very slow reading - too descriptive...)

Thats what i thuaght about the hobbit compared to lord of the rings

it was hard to get into (Lord of the Rings) but once I did I thought it was not to descriptive at all. I do think the movies are better and so do all the reading fanatics I talk to.

It depends on what kinds of books you like to read - do you like to-the-point ones, or aesthetic ones? I personally perfer the latter but like both.

I like both but it can depend on my mood on what I want to read at a particular time.

i meant the hobbit was too descriptive

The hobbit was not to descriptive at all. I thought it was less descriptive than the Lord of the Rings.

haven' read the hobbit.. is it true that they' re making a movie also?

yes

whatever the hell for? there have been a couple of cartoons...

If they take it seriously and try to make a good movie, like they did with The Lord of the Rings then it would not be a bad thing. I would watch it.

yeah.. i will watch it also.. return of the king won oscar best picture because it was made so great...

I finally got to read Stephen Kings Christine. It took me forever to find a copy.

If y'all like John Grisham, you should read Scott Turow...he's been referred to as "the thinking man's Grisham". I read John Grisham but find the characters and the stories about law pretty forgettable.I liked that "the Painted House" was a departure from his usual fare. One other non-fiction, I believe, I haven't read yet.

If y'all like John Grisham, you should read Scott Turow...he's been referred to as "the thinking man's Grisham". I read John Grisham but find the characters and the stories about law pretty forgettable.I liked that "the Painted House" was a departure from his usual fare. One other non-fiction, I believe, I haven't read yet.

i liked the painted house too. It was sad in the end though, that the crop got destroyed by the flood.

Sorry to interrupt you guys,but I've been reading Dracula and I think it is a pretty good book so far.I'm also reading The Waterborn and The Last Vampire.

A storehouse for books, usually accompanied by audio/video materials and magazine or similar materials. With rules regarding borrowing/returning of said materials. And you probably need to go to one; please look up those books I've listed elsewhere.

hahaha.

I lke to read "The Low Calorie Diet" by Marvin Small. Excellent reading!

Kenneth C. Davis' "Don't Know Much About Mythology" strikes my fancy.

Currently reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Just finished the first book and it's good so far.

i just finished stephen king "bag of bones" - i gave it a 3 out of 5 stars - kinda lengthy for me

and david baldacci's " the winner" - this one is a great read - 5 stars

I finally got to read Stephen Kings Christine. It took me forever to find a copy.

how was it? i plan to read a lot of stephen king

i love his the green mile series

dont like "bag of bones" that much though..

I am a really big Stephen King fan so I might be a little biased but I thought Christine was really good. I recommend his Dark Tower series to anyone, if they don't mind the length. It is not his usual horror genre, more of a fantasy, but not exactly. Very long though, probably around 3000 pages in length so it might take awhile to finish.

I am a really big Stephen King fan so I might be a little biased but I thought Christine was really good. I recommend his Dark Tower series to anyone, if they don't mind the length. It is not his usual horror genre, more of a fantasy, but not exactly. Very long though, probably around 3000 pages in length so it might take awhile to finish.

yeah.. i have friends who love the dark tower series also.. i'll try to look for christine here..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.