So, how's this? Sunday is the last day of sign-ups and Tuesday the brackets become available. The first round games should be played and reported by the following Sunday. Does that give everyone enough time to get prepared for things?

Sounds good to me. Sunday we will post all the people who said they wanted to play.. perhaps I will pm a few people, and try to get others to play :)

Nice! just in time i finish my last final exam! yepee!

Thats cool.. I live in central time.. I think Eastern is just an hour earlier.

This is in reply to Jocamps and sk8ndestroy.

Sorry guys but that does not help the rest of us. Why not make it Greenwhich meridian time. That way everyone can calculate his own time from there.

Or at least make it New York time so that the rest of us can compute it more easily.

New York uses Eastern time...

Besides, the damn time doesn't matter.. Everyone will have about one week to play be4 an automatic forfeit is declared (I guess).

Actually I like the idea of Greenwich time better. But yeah, it really doesn't matter. You just have to communicate with the person that you are up against.

Hypothetically, if I were to join, how would I compete with my opponent? Do I have to post the moves here? Or somewhere?

It will be hard for me though, being in a place 11-12 hours ahead of US.

Im on GMT and i still magage to play JoshSCH sometimes

Hypothetically, if I were to join, how would I compete with my opponent? Do I have to post the moves here? Or somewhere?

This is exactly what i meant in bringing the "time" factor for this tournament. a day in the US time would mean late at night on some countries and even dawn on others. It would certainly be stressful for some to play late nights.

What if both players can't agree on the time?

Oh well, for me, i love the game so much that i can play it anytime. and by the time this tournament starts, it will be in time for my summer break. got nothing else to do :)

*just concerned with the others

It will be played instantaneously on yahoo games. You will have to communicate with your opponent, possibly using this thread, so you can schedule a game with him or her. I know the time zones may make it difficult, but I don't actually anticipate it to be too much of a problem. I believe if you are 12 hours difference, you could play at 9 am and the other person at 9 pm and that would be reasonable. Anyway, there's not really much other choice in this aspect. There's no way to get around the time difference and postin each individual move would take farrr too long to finish the entire tournament.

Oh, ok. I think I'll pass. Thanks.

You don't want to play? Why?

Hey SCUDZILLA, i noticed you from the "pearl of the orient seas" the Philippines right? (for sure) so are you a filipino?

=) i am too =)

You don't want to play? Why?

Because of the time difference bro. If I were to play in the evening, opponents from the US will play in the morning where they will be preparing for work/school. Opponents in Europe are probably already in work/school by then. I surely can't play in the morning until afternoon because I too go to school. The only day I'm free is Saturday and one game a week will surely stagnate the tourney. Those in the eastern hem will be the only ones I could play with much.

Hey SCUDZILLA, i noticed you from the "pearl of the orient seas" the Philippines right? (for sure) so are you a filipino?

=) i am too =)

Hey, that's cool. We should learn to associate more with other people be it in the virtual or real world.

Because of the time difference bro. If I were to play in the evening, opponents from the US will play in the morning where they will be preparing for work/school. Opponents in Europe are probably already in work/school by then. I surely can't play in the morning until afternoon because I too go to school. The only day I'm free is Saturday and one game a week will surely stagnate the tourney. Those in the eastern hem will be the only ones I could play with much.

Hmm well, I don't want people not to play simply because of the time difference :-/

I'm sure it wont be that big a deal..

at least give it a try. i am sure that we can work something out. i for one am willing to make reasonable compromises. and if it does not work out, no real harm will be done.

i'd bet it's because you don't want your ass kicked like the rest of peeps that have signed in... this will be soo much fun...

i'm already polishing my shoes for some ass-kicking...

Well, it's summer so no school for most people, and you could probably play during the weekends. I'm expecting about one week for each round as it is. So one game per week would not be a big deal. It's understandable. But no pressure, you don't have to if you don't want.

> Well, it's summer so no school for most people
Oh yeah, and here it is raining so heavily, I feel as though this is my last post. ;-)

commented: We can only hope... -2
commented: Happy Independence Day! :p +15
commented: iamthewee is such a pain in the butt +3

NNNOOOOOO, the last post of sos the great. Let's cherish this moment. Lol. Only two days left to sign up everybody.

> Well, it's summer so no school for most people
Oh yeah, and here it is raining so heavily, I feel as though this is my last post. ;-)

yay! :D

If you want to be in the Daniweb chess tournament. Signup here. Just let me know that you want to be in and I can have a few people help organize it.

I'll help :)

Sounds like fun.. I can help develop the bracket by randomly selecting people for each starting point.. Hopefully we get a lot of peps who want to play.

Can i sign up as it were.
I could do with becoming better...
And it gives the better players an easy match :P

i'll play..

anything i can do, just let me know...

Ok, I'll play.

What are the rules? How much time goes on the clock?

sign me in!

Can I sign up too? My name on yahoo is coertquinton. Like here only reversed. I have not played in a tournament since high school and am really looking forward to it.

I'll play.

Im on GMT and i still magage to play JoshSCH sometimes

Okay, I have these nine people signed up (I don't think you singed up James, but I'm putting you in the tourney anyway cuz your pretty good)

I will give yall a few hours to make some changes before I create the bracket (Probably 17 hours from this post.. sound good?)

Yey!

Cool, nine people sounds good. If a certain game in the bracket is never played for whatever reason within the first week (the next sunday) and one person reports back at that time but the other person doesn't, then the person that reported back will be announced as the winner for that game. Hopefully we won't have a game that isn't played with both players reporting back. If that happens we'll deal with it then.

Okay, here is the tournament bracket. I made it double elimintation, and randomly selected each name per seed. As soon as I hear confirmation from sk8 that it is okay, I will pm all those who are participants.. I personally think double elimination games might make the tournament last too long, and single elimination might make it too short.

Anyway, I guess the winner gets +rep from all the participants ;)

Also, The higher seed is always white. If there are any games disputed.. please pm me or sk8, and we will work it out.

Daniweb Chess

Looks great. Good job with the bracket. Everyone have fun with your games. You can use this thread to communicate with your opponent to set up a game or communicate in other ways. Narue, tell me when you are available to play. My time is pretty flexible.

Good Luck everyone!

Serunson, can you tell me when you are available to play?

Cheers

Oh by the way, Josh, what does the date after the game number means? (eg. Gm13 :7/8/07)

Is that our deadline to finish the game and report back?

Right. Those are the deadlines.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.