God will punish smokers not for what they are doing to themselves, but for what they are doing to others.

Sure, and leprechauns will have their vengeance too, because they are really tired of ash falling on their heads. :-/

Are there any other dire warnings of retribution from make-believe land that we should be aware of?

Note to all: For *gawd's* sake, live and let live. :-)

God will punish smokers not for what they are doing to themselves, but for what they are doing to others.

I am in constant communication with my brother Jesus so I asked him about your statement. He told me to love you as he gave in the second commandment (after answering which commandment is the greatest). He also suggested that I post a reference to Matthew 7:1-6 for everyone because many who profess to be saved by their faith in him would benefit by following his way also. So for Christians, atheists, agnostics, and all those of any faith or belief here is a link to some very good advice (in my opinion). ;)
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%207:1-6&version=9;

I am a non smoker and the smell irritates me to no end . If you want to smoke and get its adverse effects fine with me . Just don't force me to do passive smoking . Thanks .

commented: Well said +21

I am a peddle biker and the smell of cars irritates me to no end . If you want to drive and get its adverse effects fine with me . Just don't force me to do breath noxious fumes . Thanks .

Now think about that. I dont think anyone is forcing you to breath smoke. If someone is smoking walk around them or stay away from where they are.

commented: Nice point man +3

I am a drinker and have spilled drinks on others. Will I be punished?

commented: heh! +11

Most definitely.

yes, that is called alcohol abuse.

Spilling is most definitely a drinking problem.

(... a problem of having less to drink, obviously)

One of the first things I noticed after I quit smoking was easy it was to smell who the smokers are. This is especially bad on the bus when you don't have any way to avoid the smell of stale smoke.

One of the first things I noticed after I quit smoking was easy it was to smell who the smokers are. This is especially bad on the bus when you don't have any way to avoid the smell of stale smoke.

I've noticed that too during the times I've quit; also the taste and smell of food. Pretty nasty.

[edit]That must be the reason we don't smoke in the house or the car -- prep for the "some day" that we've quit.

You know i have found the exact same. I now smoke about 1-2 smokes a day and if im walking down the street and a car drives by, I can tell if the person was smoking in the car. No joke, its like my nose has become supper sensitive to cigarette smoke.

this is just not right!

commented: Why don't you stop reviving old threads just so you can promote your signature. -3

? what do you mean jen?

It is why hotels now have non-smoking rooms - the smell of stale smoke is nasty. We used to smuggle Cuban cigars down from Canada but I started inhaling them like cigarettes and realized that that was a slippery slope.

I have promised myself that I can start smoking again when I turn 98 - will have to smuggle more Cubans down for the wife.

lol inhaling cigars like cigarettes = bad idea

My father owns a lot of tobacco stock, please don't quit smoking!

commented: Haha, nice one. +26

Just ran across a link to this thread so I thought I would update: I quit two months ago. One less smoker in the world.

commented: Great Job :) +36
commented: Congratulations :) +9

I managed a couple of months over Christmas, but am smokin' again. Thinking I will never quit now. One more smoker in the world... again.

If you want to look through any of them, I found some of these articles helpful: http://whyquit.com/ and Allan Carr's book "The Easy Way To Stop Smoking" is good too for dealing with the psychological "why" of smoking.

It took me many months (years?) of "next week..." or "in a couple of days..." before I bit the bullet and just put them down. It's still weird sometimes to not smoke, since I smoked for my entire adult life (23 years, started at 15), but realizing there is not one positive thing to offset all the negatives keeps me from picking up another one. If you decide to get free again, good luck!

I rarely smoke anything: to expensive, don't like coughing, and if you didn't like the smell of what you just had, it lingers and might leave you sneezing.

You can always try Schick Electro-Shock(tm) - they actually put electrodes on your (non-smoking) wrist, attach a pull-string to the little finger of the hand you smoke with, and you get a shock every time you bring the cigarette to your lips. You get a 'pot' (potentiometer) to adjust the strength of the shock. I set it as high as i could stand and watched my left hand spasm while I smoked.

That got old pretty fast - spastic fingers only go so far before the pain gets pretty overwhelming so I started 'watching' the pain while I smoked. I have been tobacco-free for 20 years (except that bout with Cuban cigars mentioned earlier).

I stopped smoking in Sep 2001 after roughly 40 years. Stopping is not easy and took many attempts. At 2 packs a day guy, and $4.00 USD/pack (cost when I quit), I figure I have saved at least 5,840 packs or $23,360.00 USD. Cigs are now about $6.00USD/pack where I live. I can buy a really nice new car for that much :)

Yeah, I guess I quit just before the recent price hike. I saw they're up to around $5.50 here. That's just crazy.

They are 5 something euro here, which is about 7 dollar. You get 19 cigarettes for that money. So I've been cutting back from 1-2 packs to 3-4 cigarettes a day.
I agree with AD, it's damn hard to quit, I've been smoking 10+ years, but eventually I'll succeed.

I agree with AD, it's damn hard to quit, I've been smoking 10+ years, but eventually I'll succeed.

I can understand how you feel! I started smoking 6 years ago and finding it very difficult to quit! I had quit for a week, but I didn't have enough will power to overcome the urge. :(
Even the *Smoking is injurious to health* sign on the packs too don't make much of a difference.

commented: baakaaaaaa =D +6

Yeah, it's definitely tough to fight with the urges constantly for days on end but it does get much easier to brush them off after about 3-4 weeks. The first 3 days are the absolute worst of it.

Thinking about the fact that I had already smoked 23 years and wondering how much longer I could get away with the roulette was enough to keep me from giving in - just barely though on many, many occasions.

OMG if i smoked tailors instead of rollies id be up for 12 aud for a pack o 25's i dont even want to know what that is in American dollars lol
and that would only last me a day if that lol

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.