not equal, but related... even more if you're a showoff...

now, drinking=party animal :p

that is always given... i mean... when you say party animal, immediately you get the picture of alcohol... lol

They just passed a law in Ohio making it illegal to smoke in indoor public places. I'm glad. If you can't go one meal in a restaurant without smoking you need to start backing off of it some.

Are you so full of yourself that you think it's your place to dictate how other people live their lives?

commented: I don't have any doubt that's the case. +5

Are you so full of yourself that you think it's your place to dictate how other people live their lives?

If people's choices are hurting others then yea, it is our business, and we can tell them how to live their lives (In a way.. they can always smoke outside).

When it endangers other lives. Of course!

>If people's choices are hurting others then yea, it is our
>business, and we can tell them how to live their lives

>When it endangers other lives. Of course!

And naturally you're qualified to make that choice. :icon_rolleyes: Tell me, have you ever thought to ask a smoker not to smoke around you? I have, and to date nobody has ever refused to give me space or put out their cigarette when I asked politely. Most of the time they immediately put it out and don't light up again while I'm around. Smokers aren't evil people who intentionally try to hurt you, so stop trying to act righteous.

commented: Asking is always nice. Forcing is "almost" always wrong. +5

And naturally you're qualified to make that choice. :icon_rolleyes: Tell me, have you ever thought to ask a smoker not to smoke around you? I have, and to date nobody has ever refused to give me space or put out their cigarette when I asked politely. Most of the time they immediately put it out and don't light up again while I'm around. Smokers aren't evil people who intentionally try to hurt you, so stop trying to act righteous.

Actually, I have and they refused. Not every situation is the same, "genius."

And we're not talking about just one person smoking, we're talking about smoking in public places such as restaurants.

commented: excellent point +11

Hmm.. you're taking it a bit out of context there.. Just b/c everyone you have asked to stop smoking has, doesn't mean that everyone will.. What kind of logic is that? :-/

And anyway, I know they don't do it on purpose.. it's an addiction, and they can't help it.. they like it.. And people have rights in this country. However, once someone's rights infringe upon another's then what happens? Smoking in public places like restaurants is dangerous. Non-smokers don't want to get emphysema.. We don't want to die b/c someone chose to light up. Making smoking illegal in restaurants is the right thing to do..

thank you very much... i though you would never defend me in any way... :D

and actually, no... we don't mind putting outour cigars when we re making other people uncomfortable... i even make sure to keep my distance to other people that are not smoking when it is possible...

i would say that i wouldn't care if they made it illegal to smoke in restaurants, but that's far from happening here...:P

>Actually, I have and they refused. Not every situation is the same, "genius."
Yet you want to apply the same extreme solution (ie. I'm God and can tell everyone what to do) to every situation. Brilliant.

>And we're not talking about just one person smoking, we're
>talking about smoking in public places such as restaurants.
I don't recall being forced to go to public places. Do you really choose to hang out in places where people smoke when you clearly don't like it?

commented: well said... +2
commented: no one wants to be restricted +0

>Actually, I have and they refused. Not every situation is the same, "genius."
Yet you want to apply the same extreme solution (ie. I'm God and can tell everyone what to do) to every situation. Brilliant.

Haha. You're really going to try and use that against me? It didn't even make sense to our discussion. Have you even read this thread?

>And we're not talking about just one person smoking, we're
>talking about smoking in public places such as restaurants.
I don't recall being forced to go to public places. Do you really choose to hang out in places where people smoke when you clearly don't like it?

...And you're the one talking about rights? =/

I hate having to double post, but I forgot to reply to you Josh.

>What kind of logic is that?
Statistical logic. If, given a significant random sample of smokers, all of them were kind enough to consider my feelings, it's safe to assume that the majority of all smokers will as well.

>Making smoking illegal in restaurants is the right thing to do..
You missed a few steps in your logic there. You don't want to die, so making smoking illegal in restaurants is the right thing to do...

Aw.. you didn't reply to my post.. :-/

>I don't recall being forced to go to public places. Do you really choose to hang out in places where people smoke when you clearly don't like it?

haha.. you're funny. So, basically you're saying that we should just not go to places where smoking inside is legal.. Oh, okay. So, if we want to go to our favorite restaurant, or shop at the mall, or go get some ice cream, etc. then too bad for us? Hell, no.. We should NOT be punished simply b/c others choose to smoke. Why should we be forced out of establishments simply b/c others choose to smoke??

>Have you even read this thread?
Yes. To summarize, Dave wanted to start conversation and a bunch of non-smokers banded together for four pages of intellectual masturbation.

>...And you're the one talking about rights? =/
I am? Where?

commented: The beer nearly went up my nose! +13

>I don't recall being forced to go to public places. Do you really choose to hang out in places where people smoke when you clearly don't like it?

haha.. you're funny. So, basically you're saying that we should just not go to places where smoking inside is legal.. Oh, okay. So, if we want to go to our favorite restaurant, or shop at the mall, or go get some ice cream, etc. then too bad for us? Hell, no.. We should NOT be punished simply b/c others choose to smoke. Why should we be forced out of establishments simply b/c others choose to smoke??

EXACTLY.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Aw.. you didn't reply to my post.. :-/

I agree with josh.

commented: Finally some logic +6

Statistical logic. If, given a significant random sample of smokers, all of them were kind enough to consider my feelings, it's safe to assume that the majority of all smokers will as well.

Okay, fine. Wheres the evidence that suggests the majority of smokers will stop b/c someone asks them to? Besides, smoke lingers in public facilities.. Just b/c they stop doesn't mean the smoke is no longer affecting you...

>Making smoking illegal in restaurants is the right thing to do..
You missed a few steps in your logic there. You don't want to die, so making smoking illegal in restaurants is the right thing to do...

Fine, here you go:

Smoking has been proven to cause cancer and even death to those who choose to smoke.

Second hand smoke can also cause cancer and death to those who DO NOT smoke.

People smoke in public facilities

Smoke does not just evaporate out of thin air, and there is no air tight barrier between smoking and non-smoking sections of an establishment, and therefore the smoke will remain in the building long after the smoker has stopped smoking.

I enjoy public facilities just as much as everyone else..

This puts me in a place with smokers.. which consequently puts me in danger of serious health problems; therefore, smoking should not be allowed in public facilities.

commented: Exactly. I don't think I've ever agreed with you more. :) +18

>Have you even read this thread?
Yes. To summarize, Dave wanted to start conversation and a bunch of non-smokers banded together for four pages of intellectual masturbation.

I guess that's your way of looking at it.

>...And you're the one talking about rights? =/
I am? Where?

Wow.

You're defending the right for smokers to smoke in public places where it puts other lives at risk. Duh?

hahaha... i like it when Narue adds some fire to discussions...

>Wheres the evidence that suggests the majority
>of smokers will stop b/c someone asks them to?
Um, I just gave it.

>Fine, here you go:
I suppose I'll accept that as a workable argument. Now, if you had done it in the first place, there wouldn't have been an issue. ;)

>I guess that's your way of looking at it.
No, I said something I don't really believe because I wanted to confuse you. :icon_rolleyes:

>You're defending the right for smokers to smoke in
>public places where it puts other lives at risk. Duh?
I'm not defending anyone. I'm all for making smoking illegal in indoor public places. What I'm doing is attacking your high and mighty attitude. :)

>hahaha... i like it when Narue adds some fire to discussions...
If I don't do it, who will? This place would be a snorefest without me around.

that's the spirit...

i think everyone here agrees smoking indoors should be illegal right?

>Wheres the evidence that suggests the majority
>of smokers will stop b/c someone asks them to?
Um, I just gave it.

I would hardly call that evidence.. perhaps the smokers where you live are nice, but the ones here in texas are rude.. The evidence needs to be documented and places from all over the USA tested.. or else it isn't valid statistical data..

>Fine, here you go:
I suppose I'll accept that as a workable argument. Now, if you had done it in the first place, there wouldn't have been an issue. ;)

hah.. Well, I'm a bit lazy.. and I assumed that everyone knew the argument..

>You're defending the right for smokers to smoke in
>public places where it puts other lives at risk. Duh?
I'm not defending anyone. I'm all for making smoking illegal in indoor public places. What I'm doing is attacking your high and mighty attitude. :)

lol.. well, I'd say that you have failed miserably ;)

>I would hardly call that evidence..
In a thread like this, it's about as good as you're going to get.

>lol.. well, I'd say that you have failed miserably
I wouldn't. But then again, you have no idea what my goals are.

I would hardly call that evidence.. perhaps the smokers where you live are nice, but the ones here in texas are rude.. The evidence needs to be documented and places from all over the USA tested.. or else it isn't valid statistical data..

So you have performed statistical research on the rudeness of Texas smokers then, right? I mean, without that documented evidence, some might think it was merely anecdotal... :wink:

I'm very glad that they have passed it here in AZ as well. There is nothing wrong with smoking just don't do it around me. I am not a smoker so this is a good thing.

i didn't really read this thread all the way through... but has anyone mentioned the fact that the FDA doesn't require the Nutrition Facts section on cigarettes but does on every other sort of consumable? why?

Is smoking really that good? I mean... if you had a contract that said:

Live for 80 years with healthy lungs but you can't smoke
or
Live for 75 years with possible cancerous lungs but you can smoke

would you honestly choose the later? just curious..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.