Read about it here

Recommended Answers

All 59 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

That's terrible.

I know. It makes me wonder how safe rides really are.

commented: I'm sorrie that was wrong of me :( +11
Member Avatar for iamthwee

Does that mean she won't be able to wear her ankle bracelets anymore?

commented: grow up. -1
commented: That wasn't necessary. -4
commented: You have a bad sense of humor, grow up my young friend. +23
commented: you're mean you know... +0
commented: Briiiiilliant! +8

>It makes me wonder how safe rides really are.
Very safe. It's certainly unfortunate, but the occasional accident shouldn't scare you away. The design, construction, and maintenance of these rides are done with a careful eye toward rider safety. From the story, it sounds like defective material somewhere along the line slipped through QC.

commented: love your new avatar;) +2
commented: No, it sucks! Screw wolfy, you shoulda gone with mine! ;) -3
commented: Nope. My choice was the best. +10

that won't stop me from rding those monsters... it's too unlikely to happen... i know it happens... but chances are relly low...

Scary.. "Williams' daughter had traded seats with the 13-year-old, and was sitting on the other side of the ride. "

Well, I'm glad I dislike amusement parks, and I'm afraid of heights ;)

no way... it's the best there can be... unfortunately, there are not that much amusement parks here... :(

>It makes me wonder how safe rides really are.
Very safe. It's certainly unfortunate, but the occasional accident shouldn't scare you away.

Agreed. How many people ride these rides in a summer vs how many get hurt. It's not like we see these stories every day.

Yeah, it's just a scary thought.

Too bad, but I guess nothing can be done which would predict or stop such things.

I tell ya,they need to close down all these stupid amusement parks!!!

THE QUALITY AND MAINTENCE OF RIDES HAS GONE DOWN THE TUBES (As most everything else)

I hope they sue for every dime!!!!! (For not taking better care of thier rides)

Well you can be sure that they will get rich off that law suit..

>> THE QUALITY AND MAINTENCE OF RIDES HAS GONE DOWN THE TUBES (As most everything else)

tell me about it... i've got no guts to ride one single ride in here... i'd rather get kicked real hard in the nuts... that's why i better go to REAL amusement parks...

lol.. Thats because you live in Honduras ;)

maybe... *hmm... i had never seen it that way*

though, in Guatemala there's a real amusement park... and it's not that crappy... actually it is pretty good... there's an amazing waterpark too...

I tell ya,they need to close down all these stupid amusement parks!!!

Oh, and I suppose whenever you see an accident on the road you want cars to be banned. :icon_rolleyes:

THE QUALITY AND MAINTENCE OF RIDES HAS GONE DOWN THE TUBES (As most everything else)

*huge yawn* You think so?

I hope they sue for every dime!!!!! (For not taking better care of thier rides)

Accidents happen occasionally. It's a fact of life.

This reminds me of an incident when I was in high school. It was near the end of gym class, and the teacher wanted us to move some bleachers into place for a basketball game that was happening that evening.

Now the gym had this enormous curtain in the middle (I think it was so that two gym classes could use the gym at the same time). It had a heavy metal bar at the bottom of the curtain to hold it in place.

While we were moving the bleachers, one of the cables snapped on the curtain, and it came crashing down. It probably could have given someone a concussion, and I was a few feet away from it when it came down. The teacher (who was Christian, by the way) could be clearly heard yelling "OH S***!!!" Fortunately no one was hurt.

I don't think it was due to poor maintenance that the curtain cable frayed. It probably got derailed, and in short order, frayed quickly. My point: accidents are always going to happen, unfortunately, people often get injured, resulting in tragedies like this one. That certainly isn't going to stop me from going on that ride. Besides, the ride is probably at its safest point right after it's been fixed and reopened. It goes downhill after that.

commented: That's it... you read my mind!!! +2

Man,the last time I went to an amusement park, I was too scared to ride the superman like ride.I can't ride anything practically because of my height fear.I'll ride a couple of scary rides, but you'll never see me on a ferris wheel.The hitman game scared me out of doing that.

I'm afraid of heights too :(

Yeah,I read about it.Have you ever rode any of those roller coasters.I'd never ride a wooden one like in liberty land.

commented: This is b/c we both like the Mavs, and we're both afraid of heights! :) Oh, and iamthewee's theory is way off. +15

The only roller coaster I have been on is runaway mountain at 6 flags.. It's all in a dark area so I can't see how high up I am :)

I should ride one of those.The place I'm going in a couple of weeks has no amusement parks anymore because of the hurricane.

The only roller coaster I have been on is runaway mountain at 6 flags.. It's all in a dark area so I can't see how high up I am :)

You want a scare, ride a ski lift. Some of those go pretty high up and you just dangle from it. Add in some winds and you feel like you have to hold on for life.

omg I know.. I went skiing somewhere in Colorado, and I was about to wet myself on one of those damn lifts..

...what a tragic story. Someone just expects to go on a fun ride and all of a sudden something happens that changes you for the rest of your life. We can talk about how seldom these accidents happen and it's true, but it doesn't change the fact that this thirteen year old girl will never have feet for the rest of her life. It's really sad.

Yeah,but at least she survived the thing.I would be extremely sad if that happened to me, but at least I would still be alive.I'm just not going to ride roller coasters.

Oh, and I suppose whenever you see an accident on the road you want cars to be banned. :icon_rolleyes:

Hmm... That is about the 5th time I've heard someone use that same analogy for several different threads.

Haha, I've seen it too. But I think that it is a very unlikely event. But the fact is it still happened. You can't say, "Look how many people it didn't happen to" because the amusement park is still responsible. She was told she would be on a safe ride where almost never does anything go wrong just as we're saying right now, but she lost her feet. It may be a freak accident, but the amusement park is at fault and they understood that when they entered the business. I think she is at the very least entitled to "every penny they're worth" as Christina put it. What I thought was just horrible was how the owner of the park was just talking about how safe the rides are and how unlikely the event was. He seemed he was only trying to convince people to continue paying him for visiting the amusement park. If it were me I'd feel much different about a girl that just lost her feet because of the lack of quality in safety, for this instant at least, despite the fact that it is so rare.

It's called business. The owner needs people to continue going to the amusement park or he loses his job. Money makes the world go round.

The scariest roller coaster I've been on is The Borg at Carowinds. You lay down instead of sitting or standing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.