Recently the C.I.A. released a 700 some page report detailing illegal activities from the early fifties to the mid seventies. They claimed to have illegally wiretapped people, attempting to poison Fidel Castro's food, tested LSD on people without their knowledge, among other things. What does everyone think about it?

Recommended Answers

All 108 Replies

i really wouldn't like to be in the middle of that... it might get pretty nasty...

You're from Honduras?

yup... that's why my location says so... lol... why?

Just wondering. Hey, I have a question though. Really off topic but who cares. How do you type when you want accent marks and tildes (the little things over some of the n's).

spanish keyboards have these equipped, but if you're on an english keyboard, things are like this:

á--->Alt + 160
é--->Alt + 130
í---->Alt + 161
ó--->Alt + 162
ú--->Alt + 163
ñ--->Alt + 164
Ñ--->(Can you guess it?) Alt + 165
¿ (Yeah, in spanish you open a question with question marks...) ---> Alt + 168
¡ (Yup... exclamations are opened with exclamation marks too) ---> Alt + 173

by the way... the ñ is pronounced as an 'n' with a short 'i'-like sound in the end...

That's the only way around it? I'll never remember that. So what do you think about the CIA's illegal business?

i guess that since those years were like they were (with the mafia and hitmen and all that stuff) maybe it was the only way around... as for Fidel,everything goes in love and in war, doesn't it?

it's not like i'm celebrating their acts or anything... but, they sure do have the power... after all, they are the American Intelligence office, aren't they?

P.S.

it's not that hard... it's Alt + 160 through 165, except for the 'é', which is 130

130 is kinda random.

But I don't think there is anything stopping them from doing illegal things today even.

imagine if they were unstoppable before... it is impossible to stop them now... they can practically do whatever they want... there's no way to control them anyway...

just look at it this way... all the other letters are in the 160's... 'é' is in 130... one row below the rest...

To our Honduran friend: my apologies, I've never been able to understand much about Central America (I don't know why not). Did Nicaragua end up communist? And what's the state of Honduras?

Recently the C.I.A. released a 700 some page report detailing illegal activities from the early fifties to the mid seventies. They claimed to have illegally wiretapped people, attempting to poison Fidel Castro's food, tested LSD on people without their knowledge, among other things. What does everyone think about it?

This is news? I suppose it is because they are admitting it, but their actions have been common knowledge for decades...

Anyway.. back to the topic at hand ;)

I personally think the CIA is kick-a$$, and should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want.. So long as America is not attacked I really don't care how the CIA handles their business. I think it would be awesome to work for them.. or the NSA.

To our Honduran friend: my apologies, I've never been able to understand much about Central America (I don't know why not). Did Nicaragua end up communist? And what's the state of Honduras?

ok... actually we're under command of an idiot that thought he could be president just because he could ride horses and feed cows... and the worse part is that people are so stupid (i'm not included... i couldn't vote... fortunately, 'cause all candidates were complete ignorants...) they voted for him... even though there were leser evils... people die because it rains (you might be able to imagine how well our infrastructure is going)...

but it's not all that bad... we beat the hell out of mexico the gold cup... haha

nicaragua did not end communist... but nearly did... things are finally getting set down more peacefully... actually my dad got a job there and he's going pretty well... though they've got a political party that remains with communist ideals and stuff...

and there's no need to apologize... i live in central america and even i don't understand what the heck is going on in here... it's nice though... (sometimes)

commented: nice one my dear. Stay positive +2

Ah, thanks.

I knew some company representative originally from Nicaragua, and it sounds like a pretty nice place -- outside of the political what-not.

In regard to language, for you is the ñ a different letter than n? As in, in a dictionary, items beginning with ñ are separate from those beginning with n?

I think their alphabet is just about the same as ours except for the addition of "rr" and a few other minor differences.

yup... that happens with 'ch', 'll' and 'ñ'... our alphabet has 29 characters...

commented: Ñichito no es lo mismo que Nichito. ;) +6

yup... that happens with 'ch', 'll' and 'ñ'... our alphabet has 29 characters...

Danke.... errr, gracias!

haha... de nada (ur welcome for those who don't know)...

Member Avatar for Rhyan

Guys,

Don't you think that the CIA is just a decoy for the real 'secret service' in US?
I mean - the CIA is so popular already that it is not secret anymore. In my opinion they were most active during the cold war and the mid 60's early 70's. Now CIA is a face to show to the masses, that keeps the attention away from the real 'secret' agency.

And besides, about the recently opened archive and published malicious intentions - there is much that goes on behind the back of the masses. The big players on World's political scene play a game, that has been planned ages ago, we are all just part of the scene and we cannot change a thing.
You believe you're free...that's what they want you to believe, that's what will keep you from asking the questions that shouldn't be answered. So, in case you ask the wrong questions, ok - find your answers in the CIA archive, be glad that you were right the CIA are the bad guys and keep on believing in what they want you to believe in.

i dont like the CIA after the whole torture scandal was uncovered (cia were flying terror suspects through british airports "under the radar" so to speak in order to take them to "ghost prisons"

Member Avatar for Rhyan

i dont like the CIA after the whole torture scandal was uncovered (cia were flying terror suspects through british airports "under the radar" so to speak in order to take them to "ghost prisons"

Why do people criticize only the CIA? Do you approve the ways of the "Al Kaeda", or whatever you want to call the terrorirsts?
What is a terrorist anyway? Aren't we all?
Smoking in public, driving fast, eating too much, drinking too much - in one or other way whatever one does, it is an act of oppression or terror to another person. You smoke - the non smokers get oppressed. You don't smoke - you are oppressed! You don't smoke and you're nervous because you need a smoke, you get angry, still you can't have a smoke, so your anger reflects on the others, and you become a terrorist for them and they become for you! Who has right in this case? Who is the terrorist?

Both the CIA and the terrorists have their ways - ones fly "below the radar", others board the bus with an explosives belt...everything is ballanced.

Guys,

Don't you think that the CIA is just a decoy for the real 'secret service' in US?
I mean - the CIA is so popular already that it is not secret anymore. In my opinion they were most active during the cold war and the mid 60's early 70's. Now CIA is a face to show to the masses, that keeps the attention away from the real 'secret' agency.

Okay, so in your opinion, who are the real secret agenc(y|ies) we ought to be worrying about?

And besides, about the recently opened archive and published malicious intentions - there is much that goes on behind the back of the masses. The big players on World's political scene play a game, that has been planned ages ago, we are all just part of the scene and we cannot change a thing.

Are you certain there's no way to change things? Not even by coordinated planning along RFC 1149 transmission networks? That type should still be valid even if other transmission networks get compromised.

You believe you're free...that's what they want you to believe, that's what will keep you from asking the questions that shouldn't be answered. So, in case you ask the wrong questions, ok - find your answers in the CIA archive, be glad that you were right the CIA are the bad guys and keep on believing in what they want you to believe in.

The 'bad guys' from whose perspective? And which 'they'? The CIA? Or your hypothetical 'real' agency?

Guys,

Yay, another cynic. Interesting idea.

Why do people criticize only the CIA? Do you approve the ways of the "Al Kaeda", or whatever you want to call the terrorirsts?
What is a terrorist anyway? Aren't we all?
Smoking in public, driving fast, eating too much, drinking too much - in one or other way whatever one does, it is an act of oppression or terror to another person. You smoke - the non smokers get oppressed. You don't smoke - you are oppressed! You don't smoke and you're nervous because you need a smoke, you get angry, still you can't have a smoke, so your anger reflects on the others, and you become a terrorist for them and they become for you! Who has right in this case? Who is the terrorist?

Both the CIA and the terrorists have their ways - ones fly "below the radar", others board the bus with an explosives belt...everything is ballanced.

Wow, I really like the kind of stuff you say. It's good to have someone that questions the norm and isn't just a mindless follower of the government/party/bureaucrcy/etc.

Wow, I really like the kind of stuff you say. It's good to have someone that questions the norm and isn't just a mindless follower of the government/party/bureaucrcy/etc.

Does the /etc. value include the white-coated priests of the lab?

Hmm...possibly. There's a lot we don't know. Some of these scientists serve the pharmacies which have plenty of problems in themselves. For example here's something to think about. The purpose of pharmacies is to get and keep people healthy yet they make their money from people getting sick. It's a paradox.

This post seems to have died. I expected a lot of people to go on rants. Lol.

Hmm...possibly. There's a lot we don't know. Some of these scientists serve the pharmacies which have plenty of problems in themselves. For example here's something to think about. The purpose of pharmacies is to get and keep people healthy yet they make their money from people getting sick. It's a paradox.

.. the same is true of many professions: doctors, police, firefighters, etc. Just because a particular profession has a paradoxical purpose doesn't mean they are inherently evil or that they purposely try to harm us.

Very true, but it means that there should probably be things to help protect against injustices from these parodoxes. In this case, universal healthcare.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.