druggies are a drain on society. They're not productive (if you're always either high or low on something you can't hold a job), criminal (because they steal to fund their habbit), and tend to require more medical care than others.

The Singapore system works best: mandatory death penalty for posession of any amount for any purpose, and no silly 20 years sitting in prison while your lawyers try to get you off at the expense of the taxpayer.

The Singapore system works best: mandatory death penalty for posession of any amount for any purpose, and no silly 20 years sitting in prison while your lawyers try to get you off at the expense of the taxpayer.

Not too long about (maybe 100 years or so) we had similar speed of death penalty -- watch nearly any old american western movie and you will see the bad buy is tried, convicted, sentenced and hanged all in the same day.

druggies are a drain on society. They're not productive (if you're always either high or low on something you can't hold a job), criminal (because they steal to fund their habbit), and tend to require more medical care than others.

Some druggies are a drain and not productive. I've known many people though who smoke marijuana and performed exceedingly well in professional careers, handled their finances responsibly, and led active lifestyles with no more health issues than what would be considered normal. In the same vein, I've seen alcoholics ruin their lives, jobs and families. Severe obesity also limits productivity, incurs high medical care needs and is a contributing factor in some of the top causes of death - Coca Cola and McDonalds are still legal and not subject to any more taxation than celery.

Destructive and irresponsible behavior is not limited to those who indulge in illegal substances. People will make their own choices and must live with those consequences for the good or bad.

a large % of city workers (bankers, stockbrokers, lawyers) etc... do cocaine

commented: If you can't type the word 'percent' all the way out, why not try learning a different keyboard layout which uses less finger movement? -2

a large % of city workers (bankers, stockbrokers, lawyers) etc... do cocaine

jbennet, you are a very brave man. I don't know if I could have the
`cojones' to say that.
Do you realize, now, you are a moving target?.
Lawyers will sue you. Bankers will deny you any loan application.
The stock market is going to collapse, bringing chaos into our lives.
On top of that, now the city workers commonly called `janitors' are
going to start demanding cocaine in their union benefits contracts.
Like I said: You're a brave man. Many people are going to be mad
at you pretty soon.

commented: SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECHCHCHCHCCCCCHHHCCHHCHHHCCCHHH! -2

I really think we should just get rid of anyone who is found in possesion of anything more the Pot. Think of th money our countries could save on medical bills care and the Doll on these people. Whats its cost for a bullet 10c? compare that to the millions if not billions being spent worldwide keeping these people alive to suck the system dry another day.

I really think we should just get rid of anyone who is found in possesion of anything more the Pot. Think of th money our countries could save on medical bills care and the Doll on these people. Whats its cost for a bullet 10c? compare that to the millions if not billions being spent worldwide keeping these people alive to suck the system dry another day.

I suppose we should also shoot elderly people, those with severe injury that cannot work, those with severe mental retardation, the lazy, the extremely fat... hmm, who else can we off to save on medical care and social programs?

For a start none of those things are a result of taking illegal substances. There is a distinct difference to someone born with a disability or someone with an eating problem and someone who has made a choice to take a substance that they know is illegal due to its effects on the body and the general public.

Not only do these people do damage to themselves but they also do damage to the innocent when they run out of money and feel they have to go stab someone for the $15 in their wallet or feel that they can pass through any solid object in their car just before plowing into a crowd of pedestrians or through a school zone.

There is no doubt in my mind that the use of these substances would dramatically decrease if there were actually severe concequences for the choice to use them. At the moment in most first world countries if a drug addict was to OD they would be put in hospital nursed back to health and released back on the streets to do it all again. They have their drugs paid for by the government with the welfare scemes in place. In the event they do get arrested they get stuck in jail although when compared to the way they live on the outside world its like a holiday.

All this time their children who never got a choice as to their parents are growing up in this enviroment.

Why should we have to continue to pay for their mistakes?

thats the same sort of reasoning that Hitler used

never ever legalize drugs except marijuana and cocaine cause they aren't harmful if you took a real small amount of them and i don't know about other people addicting to it i mean i control my self i heard that in America a guy would suck just to get some weed i mean those people are just sick smoke weed or marijuana or whatever the hell you do 1 a month 1nce every 2 months I've been clean for 4 years so hurray for me i never touched any kind of drugs since except cigarettes but i left it without using nicotine gums i just quited for 4 months clean and i used to smoke daily 2 packs of cigarettes so another hurray loooool

I hereby invoke Godwin's Law on the grounds of reductio ad Hitlerem and declare Lasher511 to be the winner in this dispute.

hua????

Stupidity causes accidents as well, though as yet it is still legal.

That will always be legal, because if it weren't, most lawmakers would be illegal.

Talking to someone in the car while driving causes accidents - legal.

This shouldn't be legal. It is legal because stupid lawmakers want the convenience.

Both of the auto accidents I was in were caused by the other driver not paying attention while on a cell phone. In fact, in both cases, the police officer had to tell the other driver to get off the phone and pay attention aftrer the accident.

Taking too much cough syrup, allergy medication, or sleeping aids may cause accidents - legal.

NOT legal. It is against federal law to use medication in violation of the printed instructions.

At some point people must be responsible for and held accountable for their own behavior. The accountable part is where government comes in. Making everything illegal is not the solution to keeping everyone safe from their own irresponsible behavior.

There are levels above which the activity must be restricted because it causes TOO many accidents. That's why we have speed limits.

Using these drugs causes carelessness without the user being aware he is careless. So any use of these drugs is itself carelessness.

I have also noticed that many people who have used in the past have lost the capacity to reason logically.

Not too long about (maybe 100 years or so) we had similar speed of death penalty -- watch nearly any old american western movie and you will see the bad buy is tried, convicted, sentenced and hanged all in the same day.

yup. Public entertainment, law enforcement, and justice all rolled into one nice little package.
And it would be perfect for a 30 second soundbite on the evening news, no need to have a story stretch out over years and years and in the end the punters no longer know what it was all about.

Damn it i was going for more a USSR party leader. Oh well just as good and i suppose i wasnt going to charge the family for the bullet so it probably does make me more like hitler.

The difference between me and hitler however is that i am talking about people who are actually a drain on the system and good for nothing but. In hitlers case he just had something against the Jews. When it boils down to it its just good old fashion racism.

ok thats it close this thread NOW!!!

cause i said so :P

And on what authority should we listen to your demands?

people often associate the holocaust to the jews but the fact of the matter is that nearly the same number of:

homosexuals
disabled people (both physical and mental)
gypsies
people who he didnt think were pure e.g albinos, people with webbed feet

were also exterminated. Hitler was a bad, bad man

Hitler's primary hate was towards the Jews. He basically wanted to wipe out all of the Jewish population. By Genocide. And if other nations didn't get involved with WWII, he probably would have succeeded.

Edit: how did we get on this subject?

someone equated an opinion not agreeing with his own with being Nazi...

Anti-semitism was pretty much the norm in Europe in the 1930s, the Germans just took it to the extreme but if they hadn't someone else would have (and indeed the Soviets killed more Jews between 1930 and 1945 than did the Germans).
Where the Germans were different is that they explained it away as removing an inferior race rather than being honest about it and claiming they didn't like Jews because they were economically successful and didn't want to adopt the religion of the general population.

Same with concentration camps. Pretty much every country had them in the 1920s and '30s to take up the overflow of a rapidly growing prison population as well as to house immigrants waiting to be processed (mostly economic refugees).
That's how the German concentration camps started, and that's what most were until the end of the war (albeit with a stricter regime than in most countries, especially the forced hard labour and starvation rations weren't the norm at the time but started in large part due to a lack of workers and food resources during the war when law abiding Germans were in ever larger numbers absorbed into the armed forces).

But all that has little to do with the topic of drugs legalisation, except insofar as that too is a terrible idea.

lol we used to send prisoners to australia

Yeah i think one or two of my ancestors was sent here as a crim. Although when you actually look back at alot of the crimes they were sent here for they are not very bad by todays standards. Quite often it was for something as simple as stealing a loaf of bread. Anything worse then that and you would usually be hung by the morning and they wouldnt waste much time shipping you off to australia.

yeah

Maybe thats why we have such a strong Welfare system these days because our country was pretty much built by the hungry just trying to feed themself and their family

ive always wanted to go to australia

Most of australia is a really nice place. Mainly because there are not that many people here. For all our land mass we only have 20 million people here.

We do have a few problems and like anywhere there are some places i would suggest avoiding. Mainly areas populated by the "original" habitants.

yeah i know that there is some ghettoish bits but thats how it is here too :)

lol we used to send prisoners to australia

yah, those were the days...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.