Thoughts?

Recommended Answers

All 47 Replies

Yes definitely, they should get a good smacking when needed. Smack smack smack...

commented: Make sure you don't leave marks. ;) +6
commented: Leave marks on the face, like a good dude. +8

Corporal punishment is probably the best way to teach young children how to act.. So many kids are disobedient these days b/c their parents let them walk all over them.. The kids grow up to be braty, and are truthfully more hurt by not being physically punished. This was actually discussed a bit in another thread far away.. I'll see if I can find what I said..

If there's not a penalty for misbehaving, then there's no incentive not to misbehave. After a few years as a child, it becomes a trained habit, and a very difficult one to break at that.

Doesn't the UK have some stupid laws about corporal punishment?

>> If there's not a penalty for misbehaving
But what's to say that hitting kids is the only penalty? Rather than hitting them and letting them go back to play or whatever why not take away their toys and make them miserable? Obviously it depends on the situation. I don't believe you should hit them if they do anything wrong ... maybe reserve the wooden spoon for serious matters of national security ... Mushy peas, please.

in the uk you can smack just so long as you dont bruise them or do it for some sort of sadistic pleasure

i believe in the "mushy middle" option. if a kid is really bad, sometimes a smack is the only way to go but other times depriving them of toys etc... works just as well

i'd say its the best way to teach a child to behave... but i'd also give him treats when he behaves... not always, because he will behave expecting a prize, so when you stop giving him things, he will misbehave about you not giving him a prize... but teach him that if he behaves, there's more probability of being a treat... but when he misbehaves theres 100% probability he will get smacked...

>>but other times depriving them of toys etc... works just as well

yup... thats a good solution too... and if its really bad, then make him have a combo...

-smack and no toys with big fries to go please!!!-

in the uk you can smack just so long as you dont bruise them or do it for some sort of sadistic pleasure

I'm pretty sure that's the same in the USA.

corporal punishmen is not just good for kids.
Public whipping or caning could be a serious deterrent for minor crimes like pickpockets and jaywalkers.

Seriously, everybody sins from time to time, so they should electrocute entire cities at a time.

I wasn't saying that corporal punishment is always necessary; however, it does get the point across that some actions are not to be tolerated. Obviously one can't go around beating their child for every misbehavior. But strong discipline backed by solid consequences (timeouts don't count here) go a long ways in training behavior. Sure, a timeout is sometimes the appropriate measure to take; there are also times when it's not.

In order for punishment to be effective, it needs to administrate it as swift and intensive as possible in a very short period.

I am not talking corporal punishment specific. If you are administrating punishment for correction purposes, that is the formula. If that formula is unacceptable in corporal punishment, don't use that method.

Yeah....kids nowadys act pretty bratty.

Yeah....kids nowadys act pretty bratty.

We as parents condition them to be that way.
How many times I have hear mothers repeating themselve three or four times, what they are going to do to them if they don't obey?.
You know what the kid think?. She has only told me two times to pick the room up, I still can get away with at least one more time. Let's keep play around.

i was smacked a little and i turned out just fine

Say you, buddy.

Just joking with you.

++ :P

i say that a good beating brings good results and a halfhearted beating results in mediocre achievements. :-(. My father used to beat me and look at what i've become. I became a king!

Sorry. just kidding. i heard that that on children's program once.

seriously though. some parrents beat children with the sole aim of breaking those children's will. such parrents should be hanged. i think that they are a disgrace to the human race.

in general though i think that corporal punishment as a last resort should give better results than no corporal punishment at all.

but having said that. if I should someday have children i don't know if i would have the heart to do that. i am a tad soft.

also like jbennet i had a couple of smacks as well as hidings from a father I love and i turned out fine. now my younger brother whom did not have much or even any at all has a real self-discipline and respect for other people issue.

yeah, i mean, i only got smacked if i was really really bad and it was only a slap on the backside. i think thats good as it makes kids not do it again but its not necesarry for trivial things

My dad's leather belt worked wonders on my upbringing... :P

The threat of the belt was usually enough for me.

Matter of opinion ;)

I was smacked once that I remember: I calle dmy mum a bitch (when i was about 10) and she slapped me on the leg, i replied with "didn't hurt" but was crying inside. Needless to say, i never called her that again.... within ear shot ;)

The threat of my dad shouting was enough to keep me inline.

But I believe there should be some form of coproal punishment in schools and death penalties for murder. Actually to solve crimes turn all prisons into that one that's in arizona (?) where the dogs had more money spent on their christmas meal than the prisoners. Now THAT is a prison.

mmm in prisons here the inmates get xboes etc... its like a bloody holiday camp

I was smacked once that I remember: I calle dmy mum a bitch

Ohh hell, don't let Sanjay know you said that! ;)

Yea.. If I talked back, I would get slapped by my mom.. when I was young I'd get whipped with the belt whenever I screwed up.. but as I got older they just started grounding me, and taking away stuff like my phone, car, etc..

The death penalty is definitely a good idea.. A severe punishment for the most severe crimes. It's something that criminals would (well, should) fear.

However, corporal punishment in school is a bad idea. Everytime my mother checked that corporal punishment was fine on the school enrollment form I always marked it out and unchecked it lol.

is corporal punishment allowed in US schools?

I don't know about other states, but here your parents must sign something indicating that corporal punishment can be used in school if the principal finds it necessary.

Why only punish the corporals? How about the sergeants and lieutenants?

That's private. ;)

You know what the kid think?. She has only told me two times to pick the room up, I still can get away with at least one more time. Let's keep play around.

That's the thing... when you warn your kids about what you are going to do to them... keep your promise... that way they will learn that when you say something, you want results at the first time...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.