corporal punishmen is not just good for kids.
Public whipping or caning could be a serious deterrent for minor crimes like pickpockets and jaywalkers.

I agree, we could do with a caning policy over here in the States.

Caning for jaywalkers? You people have serious psychological issues. Or maybe just jtwenting.

Caning for jaywalkers? You people have serious psychological issues. Or maybe just jtwenting.

hehe I should have qualified a bit. I think that is a bit harsh for jaywalking. Petty thieves, vandals, assault perps - yeah, cane them.

What is jaywalking? - and why s it illegal?

In general it's just ignoring pedestrian traffic rules, such as only crossing the road at a crosswalk, etc. Some places have laws about such things, others don't. Even in places who have such laws it is often not enforced for obvious reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaywalking

I have not heard of anyone getting so much as a ticket for many years, but a google search showed this recent arrest. And another version of the same arrest here.

When I was a kid, my parents were shopping for a car and the car salesman got ticketed for jaywalking between car lots... :P

wow i googled it

its not illegal here, its commonplace - your almost expected to do it as if you sit there waiting for the light when you could have managed to run across, it annoys drivers

hah.. yea, thats what people here do.. even though it's illegal.

Jaywalking was obviously just an example of a minor offense.
And yes, it should be IMO better policed (of course after real crime gets taken care of, not instead).
If you've tried to drive through cities you'll soon find how annoying it is to have people jump in front of your car all the time, crossing the street without watching (and if you hit them you're the one who's financially and criminally liable for any damages to the pedestrian, even if you could do nothing to prevent it, at least that's the situation here).

not here and here kids are taught at school to cross the road whenever and wherever they want, by observing the green cross code:

look left
look right
look left again
walk (dont run)

Jaywalking was obviously just an example of a minor offense.
And yes, it should be IMO better policed (of course after real crime gets taken care of, not instead).
If you've tried to drive through cities you'll soon find how annoying it is to have people jump in front of your car all the time, crossing the street without watching (and if you hit them you're the one who's financially and criminally liable for any damages to the pedestrian, even if you could do nothing to prevent it, at least that's the situation here).

What? How is it your fault if a pedestrian runs in front of you? From what I understand, as long as you are traveling within the speed limit, and obeying traffic laws.. then it is the pedestrian's fault (even though we are taught to always yield to pedestrians). If you are obeying traffic laws, and accidentally kill some kid who ran out to get his ball then it is not your fault. If you are speeding or something then you can be charged with man slaughter. Isn't that how it works in the U.S.?

thats how it is here but in europe its different, everything is on the driver

same thing here... and i think it is actually stupid... since pedestrians cross in the middle of a boulevard right underneath a pedestrian bridge... why should it be the drivers fault if he kills some stupid guy that doesn't want to use the bridge?

It's almost a game outside college where there's a dual carridge way (two lanes either side) and lights (press button wait for green man - pelican?). There's a few people who wait, but most (me included) leg it whenver possible. Yes kids have died. Yes I've nearly been hit. No, I won't learn.

Afterall I'm following the green cross code ;)

What? How is it your fault if a pedestrian runs in front of you? From what I understand, as long as you are traveling within the speed limit, and obeying traffic laws.. then it is the pedestrian's fault

That's the difference between law (made by politicians) and logic.
Their logic goes that the pedestrian is a "vulnerable participant in traffic" and therefore if you're driving a car it's always your fault if they get hurt.

One example that was totally baffling (and was overturned in court, or all hell would have broken loose as you can imagine):
A drunken cyclist ran into a (correctly, legally) parked car and broke an arm.
The owner of the car was held responsible for causing the accident as well as for legal and medical bills of the cyclist.
He fought the decision in higher court and won, that time.

That's just wrong. I don't understand how a judge would make such an idiotic decision..

It's almost a game outside college where there's a dual carridge way (two lanes either side) and lights (press button wait for green man - pelican?). There's a few people who wait, but most (me included) leg it whenver possible. Yes kids have died. Yes I've nearly been hit. No, I won't learn.

Afterall I'm following the green cross code ;)

same. thing is though, if you hold up he traffic by hitting the button, when you could have ran across, drivers swear at you

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.