oooo someones in trouble....

Ha i laugh when the zune isnt supported (windows 7?) . I have a 2003 PDA and it doesnt work with the newest version of activesync, WMP11, Office 2007 or Vista.

The first generation iPod was NOT compatible with anything except Macs.
It was only later (about a year I think) that Apple realised that there was a problem, that a lot of people couldn't use their shiny little device, caved in the the real world, and released a PC compatible version.

Only at that point did sales really take off.

My guess is that they'd expected people to buy a Mac just so they could upload music to their iPod and released a Windows version only when that plan didn't work.

Guess they're doing the same with the iPhone now...

As to the Zune, who knows what it will work with.
It's not on the market. And I've heard enough idiotic rumours about upcoming devices to not pay them any heed.

Why can't there just be a neutral company that has no people pulling them to either end of the market (Microsoft Vs Mac) and make something that looks good, works well, and is suported by all operating systems.
A big job, yes, but the market needs something like this.

The zune is on the market in the US just not europe

Yea, in the U.S., the zune is available.. I bought mine soon after it came out in December.. Actually, I had finally bought an ipod (despite the fact that I disliked apple very much), but soon found out that Microsoft had created their own mp3 device called the zune (apparently, Microsoft didn't advertise the product well if even I did not know it existed). Luckily, I was able to take that piece of crap ipod back and buy a zune instead :)

.. only to find that it was incompatible with XP 64-bit; however, since it was microsoft there were definitely some nice hacks that enabled me to make it work in the 64-bit version of Windows.

Anyway, as of right now, the Zune is doing okay in sales. It is actually behind the Zen, which is a piece of crap. However, Microsoft is planning a new release of Zune sometime next year, which will hopefully fulfill it's destiny of being the ipod 'killer'. :)

The zen and walkman is popular in europe (about the same as iPod)

oic.. I don't know any1 in the U.S. who owns a zen.

about 50% of people at college have a creative zen or a sony walkman. The rest have iPods

The first generation iPod was NOT compatible with anything except Macs.
It was only later (about a year I think) that Apple realised that there was a problem, that a lot of people couldn't use their shiny little device, caved in the the real world, and released a PC compatible version.

Only at that point did sales really take off.

My guess is that they'd expected people to buy a Mac just so they could upload music to their iPod and released a Windows version only when that plan didn't work.

Darn right. I think this is one of the biggest reasons for Electronic Arts' success, they write games for nearly every system imaginable (besides Linux), and is probably one of the biggest reasons why they didn't create their own game console.

Guess they're doing the same with the iPhone now...

I'm not entirely sure about that. I hear that Apple didn't have the easiest time ever pulling off the scheduled iPhone release date; Leopard development came to a screeching halt while they pulled their engineers over to the iPhone to work on it. I would imagine with that kind of commotion going on (like trying to work out all the bugs) the last thing they're thinking of is 64 bit drivers for Windows Vista.

I hate EA. They destroyed C&C

oic.. I don't know any1 in the U.S. who owns a zen.

I have a black micro and 2 of my friends have micros also (in white and silver). My ex-gf has one of the Nomads.

I know 2x as many people with Zens than IPoods, probably because the group I hang out with have hated Macs since their early days.

I hate EA. They destroyed C&C

They also borked BF2 :(

Yeah i know. Lol thier patch made the game crash to desktop constantly. 2142 is even worse

I wish westwood still existed...

I have a black micro and 2 of my friends have micros also (in white and silver). My ex-gf has one of the Nomads.

I know 2x as many people with Zens than IPoods, probably because the group I hang out with have hated Macs since their early days.

Really? Well maybe it's only people in virginia who have zens.. :D

I hear that Apple didn't have the easiest time ever pulling off the scheduled iPhone release date;

so you think they've just shipped it incomplete and will release a firmware and software update in a few months?

so you think they've just shipped it incomplete and will release a firmware and software update in a few months?

Worked for MS with vista

All the people i know have iPods, but they don't own macs! So they were puled in my the advertising, which has no effect on me. Come to think of it Advertising is pointless for me, because i would buy a product if it was or wasn't advertised.

Exactly. Its like PCS, you dont buy one because it sounds cool, you buy one because its good (maybe thats why i dont like apple macs ;))

They don't look good! They look grey and fragile, one step on it and it's bust, 1 scratch by a nail and the screen is gone. Crappy in my view. Plus of course, Battery Life = Issue.

Possibly. Anyway, it seems kind of silly to release the iPhone for Windows XP, Windows Vista, but not Windows Vista 64 bit. And it seems more like a technical difficulty than a deliberate attempt to get customers to switch over to Macs, but I'm not an expert in these things.

Whats nowdays shipped "complete"? How many updates MS has uploaded to your Xbox 360 or how many updates Sony pushes to your PSP?

I think its great thing that companies continue developing the software of their devices but releasing something buggy and unfinnished is another thing...

Just take the Battlefield series of games from EA (Electronic Arts), they have patches released surprisingly regularly! For Command & Conquer 3, as soon as i had installed it (2/3 weeks after release) there was a patch fixing bugs. I mean, come on EA, you are a rich company you should be able to make a game that isn't buggy and requires constant patching first time, not like 8th time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.