Re: broken system

People were complaining that people were giving each other profane comments in the rep system. I fixed that by making the reputation system public and thought that had fixed that problem. I then saw that people were giving people rep because they liked or disliked the person and pleaded for suggestions of how to fix this, but no one ever gave me any suggestions of what about the system to change - simply that it was currently not working. Finally I got the idea to remove rep points from counting in the Coffee House. No one ever mentioned that the carousel of requiring 5 people before hitting the same person would be something that could be abused by a bot. If that idea had been suggested, I would have done something about it.

We did mention the DevShed system. I was lax at mentioning the timeout.

The GD/Coffee House thing had been mentioned elsewhere that rep has been discussed, perhaps I missed in quoting that as well.

I had just, perhaps erroneously, figured you had been visiting other sites that used other variants.

I'd like to believe I had been posting links.

Link me to a specific post from the past where the suggestion is made to only let someone rep the same person once per day, which is the change that came from the rep bot. Had anyone made that suggestion pre-bot, it would have been implemented.

Sorry, it's hidden amongst the 'try the DevShed' stuff. Perhaps we had assumed that you had.

[edit]FWIW, an attempt to comply.
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/search56234.html
[/edit]

I visit DevShed but I am not a very regular member there so I see that they have public rep comments and that you can choose how many points to give. It was never even hinted that you could possibly have meant more than that when you mentioned 'DevShed's system'.

Additionally, I've just filtered profanity out of search results.

I visit DevShed but I am not a very regular member there so I see that they have public rep comments and that you can choose how many points to give. It was never even hinted that you could possibly have meant more than that when you mentioned 'DevShed's system'.

My bad then. I thought it was more fully hinted than we all recollect.

Rashakil accomplished more in a couple hours of festive hackery than in years of diplomacy.

What are you talking about? You should report bugs by reporting them, not by exploiting them.

The reason I didn't report the possibility of rep spam was because I was purely a malicious user, nothing else.

Had someone simply brought to my attention the idea that someone could go through the same 5 people over and over again in one day I would have done something about it, but no one ever did that.

While I did say 10, not 5, I do believe I said something about it.
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/post395029-105.html

GAH!! I wasn't following that thread and never saw that post :(

> While I did say 10, not 5, I do believe I said something about it.
Actually a PM to Dani for such critical things is the most logical thing... I have myself PM'ed her twice regarding the way code tags behave with Javascript code.

my personal viewpoint is tht its always good to point out any faults/flaws/bugs ect in any area of work to who it needs to be made known.

however when i was previously employed as a technician i repeatedly pointed out flaws in the security to my manager with no results, and since i had no contact above him i couldnt take it further.... therefore action needed to be taken, so i did just tht.... it almost cost me my job there however virtually straight after new security was implemented..... i wasnt happy about how i had to get my point across but it needed to be done.

i was happy with the end result as security was added, but i know its not the best way to do it, however it was a means to an end ....

*shrugs* - some people are just to proud to say they are wrong or to admit things could be improved... hell i am most the time lol :P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.