Astronomers have stumbled upon a tremendous hole in the universe.

That's got them scratching their heads about what's just not there. The cosmic blank spot has no stray stars, no galaxies, no sucking black holes, not even mysterious dark matter. It is 1 billion light years across of nothing. That's an expanse of nearly 6 billion trillion miles of emptiness, a University of Minnesota team announced Thursday.

source

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

The problem is that we don't know if that great nothingness still exists. If it took one billion years for us to see the void then it will take at least another billion years to find out if it was ever filled with anything. Maybe right now that void is filled with millions of liviing stars and planets. No one on Earth will not find out for another billion Earth years.

The problem is that we don't know if that great nothingness still exists. If it took one billion years for us to see the void then it will take at least another billion years to find out if it was ever filled with anything. Maybe right now that void is filled with millions of liviing stars and planets. No one on Earth will not find out for another billion Earth years.

Really smart! They would have to get in there faster than the speed of light, and most likely left another empty hole wherever they came from.

...and in The End:

"This is incredibly important for something where there is nothing to it."

Avoid a void...

Ethernal Noob

It'll turn out that the space telescopes still had the protective cap on.

haha, would be cool if it was.

Scooped.

Actual humor in the C programmig forum! Accidents can happen!

Maybe the void is in Minnesota instead.

:icon_mrgreen:

Now they are looking for an alien with an immense drill. :icon_cheesygrin:

Maybe the void is in Minnesota instead.

:icon_mrgreen:

That would be true in the winter! All the Minnesota folks are in Florida.

I like the winter. I think it is more fun than summer.

I've also found a massive hole. It's right there in the mind of our prime minister (though the one in his wallet is even larger, and he's trying to fill it by increasing the taxes I have to pay).

luckily i dont have to pay any taxes yet. my income is not high enough.

i am probably going to make history. when my boss offer me a raise i am going to turn him down!

well at least only if the raise brings me to the income bracket where i too have to start paying taxes.

that's not so weird. A (former) colleague turned down a raise a few years ago because after taxes he'd have less with the raise than without it.
And that wasn't the first time I've seen that.
Hasn't happened to me, never went past a tax bracket with such a small amount that I'd get out worse after taxes, but it's been close once or twice.

Why pay taxes when you really don't have to! The Enron folks never paid taxes, and made lots of money. Only got a mild slap on the wrist for cheating. Maybe one of them will let you in on the secret with those offshore accounts.

Is the hole just the edge of less?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.