http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6979138.stm
Not content with having the highest density of CCTV in the world, now they're after tagging everyone like cattle.

I'll submit to this only when the Queen has been publicly humiliated by having her DNA taken.

I tell you, this country is heading down the crapper in a big way.

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one.
-- President Thomas Jefferson. 1743-1826

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

That database and tattooing a large number on everyones forehead should just about eliminate much of the lower class crimes in your country.

And what number, precisely, would that be?

And what number, precisely, would that be?

A computer generated unique number consisting of letters and numbers similar to a car license plate. Care should be taken to avoid letter combinations such as SEX.

Isn't it somewhere in the book of Revelations (Bible) that indicates we are in our final days when people are required to have a number tattooed on the forehead? I'm sure you said that in jest, but then ....

Here I thought it was the Antichrist thingy, where only the Reborn Christians will enter Heaven. The rest of us get butchered to fill some valley in the Holy Lands with our blood. As far as I know, numbered foreheads were not required.

Don't you just love the picture of DNA Lord Sedley, right out of an episode of Benny Hill!

Isn't it somewhere in the book of Revelations (Bible) that indicates we are in our final days when people are required to have a number tattooed on the forehead? I'm sure you said that in jest, but then ....

Revelation 13 is the reference you're after. The specific verses are 16-18, listed below.

16And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
17And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Note: the 'He' in verse 16 refers not the the beast who's number is being given, but to a second beast who basically exaults the first one. The scriptures refer to him as a beast coming up from out of the earth, as opposed to the (number) beast rising from the sea at the beginning of the chapter. I do not know if this beast from the earth is the same as the False Prophet listed in scripture; the two seem to have similar functions, at least. I'll look into that.

offtopic but the wig looks pretty stupid... Do all UK judges wear them?

Sorry to say that, but it doesn't even look like a wig, it looks more like a leftover piece of carpeting.

Ontopic, wo needs numbers or marks when you have DNA? Then of course, corrupt judges, politicians and the like would hardly leave DNA evidence behind.

offtopic but the wig looks pretty stupid... Do all UK judges wear them?

LOL -- I recently recarpeted my house with carpet that looks very much like his wig.

On topic - I have no problem whatsoever with having a national DNA database (No, I'm not a Briton, but we've had the same debates here in the US...) - (And no - I don't know the specific numbers, but how can one know unless a database were established?!)
I do believe that it would deter crime and I can't see how that would hurt...
I don't care if you've been picked up for petty theft or murder - you're still a criminal...hell, I admit, I've gotten a speeding ticket and that made me a criminal...(I'll not delve into software piracy and plead the fifth...)
As far as there currently being a larger number of blacks on the database, (and I am NOT intending or trying to be racist here...) well to put it quite bluntly, I'm SICK of hearing it blasted as being simply "Profiling"...The simple fact remains (at least in my area - I don't know about the UK, or any other areas for that matter) that blacks commit the majority of the detected crimes...Don't give me the excuse of them being underpriveleged or whatever - they are human and thus have the ability to choose between right and wrong...
My argument is not meant to be totally aimed at blacks....it holds true for any human being...We all have the ability to choose between right and wrong...(I concede the criminally insane issue...)
I have heard many of the arguments surrounding the DNA database controversy but none of them has convinced me that a national database is NOT the way to go...It's a far leap from having your DNA record on file to having the branding as described in revelations...
(And this comes from a born again Christian!!)

Member Avatar for iamthwee

It's just another example of the nanny state taking over, along with the "smoking ban" in public places. Who knows where they'll draw the line?

It's more a case of where we'll draw the line. I'd just refuse to give a sample if it came to that. Same with identity cards or having to tell the government the moment I move house. In any case, the real solution in the UK is not having a load of horrible "types" around in the first place. Can't say I can come up with an answer to that one.

Steven.

>>Same with identity cards
If you have a driver's license then you already have an ID card :)

>>or having to tell the government the moment I move house
Do you pay taxes ? Does the tax form(s) ask your address. If yes, then you do that doo.

I don't have a driver's license and I don't pay any taxes yet! Boy do I feel free!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.