To cure A.I.D.S, this is the recipe for the cure:

1. One 8 ounce (oz) glass of water

2. 1/2 teaspoon of salt

3. Mix well and drink once

This is known as The Philosopher's Elixir.

Recommended Answers

All 61 Replies

It's not as funny with Daniweb's preview tooltip.

Narue si back! Rejoicings!

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I don't get it.

That was a crappy joke. Love the avatar narue :)

I don't get it either..

It's a "Made you look, made you stare, made you lose your underwear" thing.

I'm not aware of any well known philosophers that died of AIDS and apparently a lot of them swore by a glass of salty water a day. Which shows even 'clever' people have flaws :)

Of course I had to go looking and found this:

Himself a homosexual, Foucault challenged our idea of what is normal in The History of Sexuality. As a visiting professor at Berkeley, Foucault frequented the San Francisco bathhouses and developed a passion for S&M. Though he kept his disease a private matter, he was the first (and to date only) major philosopher to die of AIDS.
Bonus: Pure Genius

here:

http://www.neatorama.com/2007/03/16/9-bad-boys-of-philosophy/

The sex laws of the Old Testament were designed to prevent STDs. If everyone had been obeying them, there would never have BEEN an AIDS epidemic.

hey!!! Narue is not dead!!!

woot woot!!!

The sex laws of the Old Testament were designed to prevent STDs. If everyone had been obeying them, there would never have BEEN an AIDS epidemic.

That might be true only if everyone in the whold wide world new about those sex laws. Since AIDS began in Africa its highly likely those people never heard of them. And from what I understand (maybe wrongly) AIDS started in monkeys, not humans. And I am certain those monkeys never knew about those laws either.

At what point (location and time) did the epidemic start? It is my understanding that Ethiopia, at least, has had (until relatively recently) a long-standing Judeo-Christian history.

And are you referring to the American definition of AIDS, or the African definition? The two are not the same, from what I've seen.

That was a crappy joke. Love the avatar narue :)

indeed great avatar narue!! as for the joke....it sucks....

At what point (location and time) did the epidemic start? It is my understanding that Ethiopia, at least, has had (until relatively recently) a long-standing Judeo-Christian history.

And are you referring to the American definition of AIDS, or the African definition? The two are not the same, from what I've seen.

I didn't know there was different definitions. Raised in the 1940s and 1950s my vision of Africa is from the old Tarzan tv shows and movies -- a bunch of uneducated (by our standards), superstituous, black people running around with spears and near naked bodies.

At what point (location and time) did the epidemic start?

Aids came to the West in the late 70s in sub-saharan africa (this has been calculated) but it begam there (presumably in the congo) in the late 1950s

Heres the monkey HIV:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simian_Immunodeficiency_Virus

Physical location?

Physical location?

physical location of what :?: :?:

I requested the physical and temporal (place and time) location of the supposed beginning of the supposed AIDS epidemic. I was granted the temporal information by jbennet, but not the physical. Africa is a rather large place; I would think the physical location could be more narrowly defined than just saying 'Africa'.

I said Sub-Saharan africa, most likely the congo. How much more specific do you want?

I'm sorry, at the time I didn't see anything in the post beyond the time listing. I apologize.

I think we will eventually find a cure for AIDS. Especially since the disease is fairly "young."

Thats not a very nice joke mate!!

Alot of people in this world have this and would love a cure to be found!!

Please think about what you post in the future!

Thanx

Thats not a very nice joke mate!!

How did you direct that to ? I didn't think anyone was making a joke of people with AIDS.

How did you direct that to ?

Er... the OP perhaps? just a hunch.

Er... the OP perhaps? just a hunch.

Ok, I get it now, your post was so far down the line that it was difficult to know. Most people today in the western world get AIDS out of their own stupidity, not because something awful just happened to them. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for them. There are, of course, exceptions, such as children and spouses to catch it from unfaithful spouse.

commented: agreed +19
commented: very right +3

Ok, I get it now, your post was so far down the line

Actually it was The Dude that posted not me, and it took me a few seconds to realise what he meant too.

There are, of course, exceptions

Absolutely

By blood transfusion, By inheritance.

Then large parts of Africa where they just don't have the wealth support and education to practice safe sex.

Comedy can help when used to raise money and support. But in this particular case (this thread) it is misguided to say the least.

commented: agreed +19

Yes, i must agree. I feel sorry for the people who got AIDS from blood transfusions and blood products (big scandal over here) but not for those who got it out of thier own stupidity e.g junkies who share works and people who have unprotected sex

@ midimagic in particular

std has nothing to do with the sex laws of the bible. many of the laws of the bible seems sensible.

one of them is the law which prohibits the eating of fat and these days we know that it does all kinds of things including causing diabetics if you are not carefull.

however the sex laws of the bible has little to do with std. think about it. viruses are mostly tissue specific. not gender specific.

While I agree with ye I also agree with MacBeth: "Who can be wise, amaz'd, temperate, and furious,
Loyal and neutral, in a moment? No man:"

My favourite bit of shakespeare:

SONNET XVIII

Shall I compare thee to a Summer's day?
Thou are more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And Summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd:
But thy eternal Summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow'st;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st:
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.