The sex laws of the Old Testament were designed to prevent STDs. If everyone had been obeying them, there would never have BEEN an AIDS epidemic.

Wow, now that is just plain ignorant..

hey!!! Narue is not dead!!!

woot woot!!!

Heck yes!! Hurray for Narue being alive! Hip Hip! ..

I think we will eventually find a cure for AIDS. Especially since the disease is fairly "young."

The reason HIV is so difficult to fight is because of it's ability to replicate so very quickly. There are many 'cures' for AIDS, but the hiv virus is always able to replicate quickly and adapt to that cure. It's a super-virus, if you will.. using evolution and 'survival of the fittest' to its advantage. Truthfully, I believe it will be these 'super-viruses' and diseases such as Alzheimer's, all forms of cancer, etc. that will be humanity's greatest threat. Forget controlled nuclear and biological warfare.. we cannot even stop the spread and evolution of deadly diseases. If we don't stop overusing the cures we have now (penicillin), and start spending more money on research.. humanity may have a difficult time surviving the next century :p

well put

@ hollystyles

>wealth support and education

i dont know about africa further north but in south africa there is a great deal of education. some people just seem to want to live by that risk. of course many also insist on condoms but a great many just dont seem to care.

and then you get the stupid but i suppose they can be from any country. i once worked with this guy who used a pin to make small holes in the condom while the condom was still in its packaging.

@ jbennet

cool poem. i was never a fan of the guy. only liked macbeth. but this one is cool.

Yeah i studied it in school. IMHO hamlet and othello are better than macbeth

Yeah i studied it in school. IMHO hamlet and othello are better than macbeth

i could very well be biased. when i was small i liked anything with swords and armies. and i never read any of his work in full. i watced the animated series. so the swordsplay was fine. especially that part where he tell that other guy: "thou art of woman born!"

by the way. do you like any other classic writting? i am currently reading paradise lost by john milton. i like stanza 240 to 275 of book one. especially if you consider the preceding stanzas. to a considerable extend one can agree with the guy.

In english at college i did wuthering heights (hated it) and now im doing modern american stuff, Billy collins, Arthur Miller

In english at college i did wuthering heights (hated it) and now im doing modern american stuff, Billy collins, Arthur Miller

i started reading wuthering heights but then decided that it is not for me.

now dont get me wrong. the book is well written. the author is good(cant ever remember which bronte it is.). back then when everybody believed in overloaded style she already knew that it is better to tell a good story in clear and simple language.

but she took a bit to long to reach the point. that is why i mostly read children books. they get to the point quickly.

Yeah. I didnt like it. I do like some books of that stle though, e.g Jayne Ayre.

I love WH! Heathcliff is one of my favourite fictional characters. Did you know that when the book was released a critic reviewed it and said: "How anybody could write a book like that and not commit suicide is beyond me", or something.

If the sex laws of the Bible (especially the adultery, promiscuity, and homosexual ones) had been obeyed by everyone, AIDS would not have ever infected more than a few people, and the epidemic would have been over by now.

If the sex laws of the Bible (especially the adultery, promiscuity, and homosexual ones) had been obeyed by everyone, AIDS would not have ever infected more than a few people, and the epidemic would have been over by now.

And if the rabbit had not stopped to take a crap he would have caught that damed turtle too. People lived in promiscurity for over 4,000 years and didn't get aids until the last 50 years. So I doubt what you claimed is very relevant.

that's so true {and it makes you wonder about HIV}... What is also true, is that when people of the western societies became aware of this spreading virus they should be more careful in their sex life....

A recent study (Check the bbc website the story is on there under health I think) proved that a large % of westerners believed (falsley) that AIDS was curable.

Cripes! You've said that 2 times now - why not post something that makes sense.
What sex laws of the bible?

What do you offer as proof of your statement?

Ok, I get it now, your post was so far down the line that it was difficult to know. Most people today in the western world get AIDS out of their own stupidity, not because something awful just happened to them. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for them. There are, of course, exceptions, such as children and spouses to catch it from unfaithful spouse.

Also from spilling monkey blood on an open wound in areas where they eat monkeys.

What I posted does make sense, unless you think that having sex is somehow a civil right.

It isn't, because it always requires the permission of the other person.

My point is that, IF everyone obeyed God's law, there would be no widespread transmission mode to spread AIDS widely. There would be NO STDs at all.

The fact that they don't obey God's law provides the means needed to spread the virus.

This is a logical fact, not religious propaganda.

The spilled monkey blood might give one or two people AIDS, but without the promiscuity, it would not spread beyond a few people.

I think God's rule is there for this reason.

What I posted does make sense, unless you think that having sex is somehow a civil right.

It isn't, because it always requires the permission of the other person.

What? Are you a dumbass? Sex is a civil right.. and usually when you have sex both people agree to do it.. otherwise, thats called rape.

My point is that, IF everyone obeyed God's law, there would be no widespread transmission mode to spread AIDS widely. There would be NO STDs at all.

The fact that they don't obey God's law provides the means needed to spread the virus.

This is a logical fact, not religious propaganda.

You moron.. that isn't logic. You are using god in your argument! How is this not religious? You are presupposing that a god exists.. so using a statement like 'god's law' automatically makes your argument unsound.

The spilled monkey blood might give one or two people AIDS, but without the promiscuity, it would not spread beyond a few people.

I think God's rule is there for this reason.

God invented AIDS to punish those who disobeyed him? Wow.. what a forgiving god.

What? Are you a dumbass? Sex is a civil right.. and usually when you have sex both people agree to do it.. otherwise, thats called rape.

Sex is not a civil right. If it were, there would be no such crime as rape.

You moron.. that isn't logic. You are using god in your argument! How is this not religious? You are presupposing that a god exists.. so using a statement like 'god's law' automatically makes your argument unsound.

Your emotional response and name calling are not logical. They are the usual response of a liberal who can't find any logical response.

Actually, the assumption that God exists is not a requirement to my argument. I call it "God's law" because that's what the original source calls it. But if you call it "Peabody's law" instead, the same argument applies. If people obeyed it, there would be no STDs epidemics.

Do I detect a hatred toward God swaying your judgment?

God invented AIDS to punish those who disobeyed him? Wow.. what a forgiving god.

How in the world did you deduce that from what I said? It certainly is not a logical conclusion. Did you make it up? Or is it more of that liberal emotional "logic"???

What I said is that God predicted that people would spread epidemics through promiscuity. He prohibited promiscuity to prevent the spread of disease.

Using the same faulty logic, I could say the police enforce speed limits just to make sure that people always obey the laws the legislators pass (rather than to keep people from having terrible accidents and killing people).

The main purpose of every moral law in God's law is the protection of innocent people from unwanted hazards or malices. Only a selfish person wanting personal pleasures for himself at the expense of others can't see the truth in this.

From AIDS---->Narue's avatar---->Bible-----> What next? Well, sexual perversion has been around in Biblical times....according to the Bible...people in Soddom & Gomarah lived perverted lives...no indiciation of aids. Also, those who had multiple partners, such as Solomon/David...no aids either...but other problems..

What do you offer as proof of your statement?

Wow. Human density still surprises me to this day.

I agree with MidiMagic. His statements are purely logical...

Even my ValueBrand processor can understand them...

Actually, the assumption that God exists is not a requirement to my argument. I call it "God's law" because that's what the original source calls it. But if you call it "Peabody's law" instead, the same argument applies.

You obviously have no knowledge of logic and reasoning at all. Using ANYBODY's law as premise in an argument automatically deducts from the argument if the law cannot be held up. So simply using "peabod's law" makes the argument unsound.. and possibly invalid depending if the law is true or not.

Let me show you an example of a REAL argument:
1.) People who are constantly wrong are stupid.
2.) Midimagic is wrong about everything
Therefore, Midimagic is stupid.

You see, this is a sound, valid argument. The truth of the premises is evident in the conclusion, and the premises can all be easily proven to be correct.

This is starting to drift into the atheism v. god argument we have had many times.. if you want to be proven stupid in that area too, then go post something in that thread.

You obviously have no knowledge of logic and reasoning at all...

...if you want to be proven stupid in that area too, then go post something in that thread.

Do you need a hug?

commented: Midimagic is the dumbest human on the planet :) +12

Midi, There are so many different readings of different bibles, it might help if we knew what the laws against "adultery, promiscuity, and homesexual one" to which you refer. In truth if all laws in the bible were obeyed by everyone, there would probably be a lot of stone throwing and sandel tossing. Just wondering

Actually, GrimJack, as I recall it the 'stone throwing' was the penalty for breaking the other laws. Ergo, if all the laws were obeyed, the stone throwing wouldn't matter. I don't recall the 'sandal tossing' bit; I'll have to reread and see.

Actually, GrimJack, as I recall it the 'stone throwing' was the penalty for breaking the other laws. Ergo, if all the laws were obeyed, the stone throwing wouldn't matter. I don't recall the 'sandal tossing' bit; I'll have to reread and see.

Snort - almost blew more B&C onto my screen - heh,heh. Er, let me rephrase - if half the people followed all the laws of the bible half the time then everybody would be throwing stones at everybody else.

Midi, There are so many different readings of different bibles, it might help if we knew what the laws against "adultery, promiscuity, and homesexual one" to which you refer. In truth if all laws in the bible were obeyed by everyone, there would probably be a lot of stone throwing and sandel tossing. Just wondering

You have to read each different Bible versions according to the language that was in use by the public at the time that particular version was created. One of the biggest mistakes is to read the King James version using word meanings that did not yet exist in 1610.

Language changes over time, as people find new uses for words. Look at these words, all of which got new meanings in the 20th century:

bank, battery, comic, cassette, cloverleaf, computer, curb, dossier, environment, drive, gay, hang, hello, hit, housing, interchange, jet, medium, missile, overtime, plane, pot, rod, stop, tank, tap, transmission, truck, waste, welfare

Are you aware that, before the telephone, "hello" was a Norse war cry and sort of a mild swear word? This changed because the first telephones didn't have any bells. People started yelling though telephones to get the attention of the person on the other end (the phones didn't hang up either). The two most common words used were "ahoy" and "hello", although some people blew horns into the phone. "Hello" won out, and it continued to be used after telephones had bells. This changed that word from a war cry into the friendly greeting we use today - in many different languages.

If ALL of the Bible laws were obeyed by everyone, there would be no penalties enforced, because people would not be breaking the law. So there would be no stone throwing.

Sandal tossing? Sandals were handed to people to ratify contracts for land sales by custom, not law.

> Are you aware that, before the telephone, "hello" was a Norse war cry and sort of a mild swear word?

Can't seem to find any mention of this elsewhere. Are you making things up again? :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.