It's been a wonderfully fun flap in the news in this neck of the woods -- a simple search may provide you some details if you haven't come across it.

My question: can "elitist" "liberal" "intellectuals" even read?

Recommended Answers

All 32 Replies

Can conservatives do anything accept bash liberals?

Pot, kettle, black.

Yeah, we work for a living, without coveting anyone else's money in any form of social
program.

But a conservative is the one who is spending 1.2 trillion dollars on a war in Iraq. True not all Social programs are good, for instance I understand why, and think it was a good business decision, to the Bush veto on the change to SCHIP. It made sense on why he vetoed it. But some programs are good. Also if Bush did not spend so much money, maybe he could have cut taxes even more.

But a conservative is the one who is spending 1.2 trillion dollars on a war in Iraq.

I didn't know that Congress is made of Conservatives only. Nice hope, but unfortunaly not so.

I said a conservative, meaning Bush. It seems it is conservatives who do not know how to read. I think it is time to stop debating this because it would go on forever. Neither of us giving any ground and each of us fiercely opposed to the other sides ideals. George Washington was right when he said that having political parties would destroy America.

I said a conservative, meaning Bush. It seems it is conservatives who do not know how to read.

Getting a little `edgy'?
We understand you. We know how to read.
I gave you the benefit of interpreting you comment in a way that would make you look not ignorant.
Congress approved those expenditures, and Congress is not made of a single man, consevative or not.
In the same note I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt, that by 'It seems it is conservatives who do not know how to read', you are not refering to every single conservative, but only to me. In which case I would like to refer you to my previous sentence in bold.

But a conservative is the one who is spending 1.2 trillion dollars on a war in Iraq. True not all Social programs are good, for instance I understand why, and think it was a good business decision, to the Bush veto on the change to SCHIP. It made sense on why he vetoed it. But some programs are good. Also if Bush did not spend so much money, maybe he could have cut taxes even more.

You are waisting your time arguing against trailer-court conservatism. Looks like Mister Sinkular suffers from the incurable Limbaugh Rush disease!

I frankly don't know what that kind of low brow political nonsense (spread your hate kind of stuff) has to do in the Geeks' Lounge? I consider Geeks to be educated folks!

I said a conservative, meaning Bush.

Frankly, I find myself hard-pressed to call Bush a conservative. His "compassionate conservative" I see as neither compassionate nor conservative, though perhaps not in the same manner as someone across the aisle.

I frankly don't know what that kind of low brow political nonsense (spread your hate kind of stuff) has to do in the Geeks' Lounge? I consider Geeks to be educated folks!

Political discussions encompass wide ranges of intellect, social standing, etc. It shouldn't be surprising to find them in an area dedicated to 'Geeks' any more than you should be surprised to find them in an area dedicated to another such group. To say that it has no meaning here implies a form of implicit censorship; that is, you see no point in allowing certain forms of communication simply because they do not match some standard you hold.

I see in your statement one of two possible meanings. Either you are saying that in an area such as this all forms of political discussion should be prohibited, or else you are saying that political discussion that opposes your own beliefs should be prohibited. I will extend the benefit of the doubt and infer from your statement the first of the two meanings I have listed.

Attacking Talk Radio By Walter E. Williams

Interesting article. I guess we're all supposed to feel sorry for Rush now, because he's oh so often attacked by those evil liberals and femnazi's.

Sorry, but Rush is justifiably attacked. From his attacks on drug addicts to his piss poor "fact" checking. The guy takes hypocrisy to new levels. I mean really, the guy out and out lies and the only people that actually take him serious are his brain dead dittoheads who've never had an original thought in their miserable lives.

Now, that said, was the attack by the left leaning politicians disingenuous? Yeah, perhaps a bit, but remember, those same left leaning politicians attacked MoveOn for their ad attacking Patraeus(albeit less zealously than what they did with Rush).

And no, Rush wasn't only referring to one soldier when he mentioned the whole "phony soldier" thing. He was using a broad statement that pretty much covered any soldier that disagrees with the war in Iraq.

I'm so sorry you consider pointing out the truth "bashing liberals".

What you consider as truth I consider as opinion.

I'm so sorry you consider pointing out the truth "bashing liberals".

Right. The difference between the two parties is summed up nicely when checking out the Romneys most recent spot on tv compared to Obama's.

In the spot, Romney berates the the republicans for being too much like democrats and that when the republicans act like democrats the country loses.

In Obamas spot on the other hand, he claims he's worked with both parties to get things done and goes on to essentially say that this country needs more unity. Which is true.

The far right, which is what Romney is part of and our president and his gang of thugs, is so venomous and hateful towards anything the deem even remotely "liberal" its pathetic.

With Guiliani and Romney as front runners for the republican nomination, its going to be extremely hard for the democrats to screw up this election. They are trying, though, by supporting Hillary as much as they are.

Ya know, all of Washington should be flushed down the toilet. The majority of both parties are nothing but puppets of big corporation in this country and if anyone has even a modicum of sense, they'd realize this.

You get what you deserve, I suppose.

And we got Bush.

Also, if you ask a liberal what is wrong with this country you'll get a thousand different answers before they start blaming the conservatives for things.

Ask the conservatives whats wrong with this country, one of the first answers you'll receive is "liberals".

Frankly, I find myself hard-pressed to call Bush a conservative. His "compassionate conservative" I see as neither compassionate nor conservative, though perhaps not in the same manner as someone across the aisle.

Bush = Idiot

commented: Bush = American = idiot +11
commented: Please elaborate. You do a disservice to whatever point it is you are trying to make by commenting like a 14-year-old. -2

What you consider as truth I consider as opinion.

I hope you are not implying that because is an opinion is not the truth.

I think he's going for the "it's my reality, so whatever I say is true is" line, although I could be mistaken.

Bush = Idiot

Mistakes hes made:

Afghanistan (we still havent found bloody osama yet)
Iraq (the wmds dont exist)
War On Terror (terrorism has actually increased due to it)
Really screwed up hurricane katrina/new orleans aftermath
Made most of the whole world hate america
Generally destabilized the globe

I hope you are not implying that because is an opinion is not the truth.

Yes i was because an opinion is something that someone believes, yet others believe as false. I believe somethings that he says are false and and that is my opinion. The definition of opinion is a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter and belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge. An opinion is true to some, and false to others.

An opinion is true to some, and false to others.

Truth and falsehood are completately independent of opinions.
I know that you say that you THINK. Now, go and REASON.

When I said "An opinion is true to some, and false to others." It means that opinions are neither true or false, basically, as you said, "Truth and falsehood are completely independent of opinions."

Mistakes hes made:

Afghanistan (we still havent found bloody osama yet)
Iraq (the wmds dont exist)
War On Terror (terrorism has actually increased due to it)
Really screwed up hurricane katrina/new orleans aftermath
Made most of the whole world hate america
Generally destabilized the globe

Don't give the man so much credit. He's not that mighty.
Don't believe everything that you see on TV.

Interesting article. I guess we're all supposed to feel sorry for Rush now, because he's oh so often attacked by those evil liberals and femnazi's.

Yes. :icon_rolleyes: I see it more as a Rope a Dope, though. Similar to 'Barack, the Magic Negro'.

the only people that actually take him serious are his brain dead dittoheads who've never had an original thought in their miserable lives.

It that from the Talking Points?

Now, that said, was the attack by the left leaning politicians disingenuous? Yeah, perhaps a bit, but remember, those same left leaning politicians attacked MoveOn for their ad attacking Patraeus(albeit less zealously than what they did with Rush).

You've got your tit-for-tat as tat-for-tit.

And no, Rush wasn't only referring to one soldier when he mentioned the whole "phony soldier" thing. He was using a broad statement that pretty much covered any soldier that disagrees with the war in Iraq.

Odd how he was talking about the ABC news report days earlier, and when he mentioned it again it became news.

Can liberals do anything except bash Bush?

Yes. They can hold open conversational debates in a non-public arena without having to either scream invective or launch assaults. Although it is theoretically possible that liberals can do this as well, I admit that I have seen little evidence of this so far.

Both sides have a tendancy to behave during debates in public forums, so that's not as commonly seen. (Note that I am only referring to those actually attempting to discuss the issue, not to external hecklers...although most of the hecklers I've heard of were also liberal...)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.