Unreal....... If he had commited murder he might get a lighter sentence!!

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/missouristatenews/story/2F37838AFD546C9A8625736D000B589F?OpenDocument

FARMINGTON, MO. — Shoplifters at Country Mart tend to favor cold medicines and packaged meats. They used to steal cigarettes, too, until tobacco was moved behind the counter. But the doughnuts were never a target for thieves. [more]

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

It is becasue of his prior record that he is getting such a strict sentence. Still, if you believe him he never touched the woman, and that is where all the years are coming from.

what a retard

Its his own fault. He knowingly broke the law. No sympathy.

He should have joined the police force, they usually get free doughnuts!

Rofl if he had stolen the donut from the cop shop, that would be a federal offence

or he could of just paid the 52c for the doughnut.....

lol

well, 3 strikes you're out. That's the law of the land, and it's working to put repeat offenders away for a long time.
If it deters a few kids from going into crime as a career it's worth it. After all, "it's all for the kids" so it must be good (to speak with our esteemed opponents on the political left).

Jean Val Jean with a sweet tooth.

Hoppy

He should have eaten the evidence real quickly!

well, 3 strikes you're out. That's the law of the land, and it's working to put repeat offenders away for a long time.
If it deters a few kids from going into crime as a career it's worth it. After all, "it's all for the kids" so it must be good (to speak with our esteemed opponents on the political left).

Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

The average cost for keeping one inmate in prison for a year is around $25,000. About $750,000 in 30 years for that one inmate. All that is taxpayer money. I really don't think he should cost the taxpayers that much for a stupid offense.

Really just sick that a judge would lock him up for almost half a lifetime for what is in essence shoplifting. It's like the Jena case where a few kids were accused of attempted murder for a fight. The difference is that in this case it's idiocy rather than racism...

The average cost for keeping one inmate in prison for a year is around $25,000. About $750,000 in 30 years for that one inmate. All that is taxpayer money. I really don't think he should cost the taxpayers that much for a stupid offense.

Indeed, the Chinese system is better.
A bullet in the back of the head, and bill the bullet to the convict's family.
No cost whatsoever to the taxpayer.

Taxpayers money is real cheap, just ask any "tax and spend" politician. Also taxpayer are in general pretty gullible, they just keep paying!

Look at this way, for stealing a doughnut the guy gets free housing, free food, free health care, free clothing, free TV and internet connection for a few years. Poor guy should not feel too much punished.

Lardmeister, I may sound impolite for saying this, but this is the second time in as many minutes I have looked at one of your posts and thought "What the hey???" (The first was the "world leaders' sense of humor" thread.)

Yes he gets free housing, but he also gets shut up for 30 YEARS!!!
And that's okay with you? Pardon my Spanish, but "¿es posible que estás en Texas?"
Only Homer Simpson (maybe) would trade a prison sentence like that for a donut from any retailer. Even <chuckle> LARD LAD! </chuckle>

On the topic of punishments working out well for someone:
Two years ago a student at my high school was caught hacking into admin-only areas of the school network. He was given a six-day suspension that could be served a day at a time throughout any part of the semester and would not go on his permanent record.
So he basically got to cut class for six days. :)

not quite venomlash. There are people who are homeless and desperate enough to commit a minor crime in order to get a night in a police cell so they don't have to sleep on the street.
Maybe this guy miscalculated and got more than he bargained for, the same deal for the rest of his life (lots of things can happen in prison...).

Lol I think the bullet would be a great way to save money on prisoners. Trouble is there are to many human rights wimps out there to allow it to happen.

I am a Firm believer in Swift Justice rather then the drawn out nonsense that we see today. If someone gets a death sentence kill them straight away. Elliminate Life in Prison and replace it with the death sentence. For everything else i think we should have punishments that fit the crime. For example if someone steals a 56c doughnut make him pay the 56c and any other money wasted on dealing with him if he does not have it make him sell something to pay for it. Or at least something that fits the crime properly and wastes as little money as possible. Obiously there would be exceptions in certain cases as well.

lasher511, you are right on many counts. I also believe that he should have had to pay for the donut and other costs, and I am a firm believer in sending drug addicts to rehab rather than prison. However, the bad thing about the death sentence is that if someone is later found innocent, there's no way to recompense them. Remember the work of those Northwestern University students to clear the names of some people on death row? If they were already executed, then the state technically would have committed the murder of an innocent.

Lol I think the bullet would be a great way to save money on prisoners. Trouble is there are to many human rights wimps out there to allow it to happen.

target practice...

I suppose your right. We do not have the death penalty here however im pretty sure it would be rather difficult to sentence someone with something like this without an overwhelming amount of evidence to back it.

Lardmeister, I may sound impolite for saying this, but this is the second time in as many minutes I have looked at one of your posts and thought "What the hey???" (The first was the "world leaders' sense of humor" thread.)

Yes he gets free housing, but he also gets shut up for 30 YEARS!!!
And that's okay with you? Pardon my Spanish, but "¿es posible que estás en Texas?"
Only Homer Simpson (maybe) would trade a prison sentence like that for a donut from any retailer. Even <chuckle> LARD LAD! </chuckle>

Okay venom, you made your low IQ insult.

This person would have gone to a similar prison that Martha or Paris went to. You sound like they would have locked him up in one of those CIA Torture Prisons in Poland or Romania.

Besides his 30 year sentence will most likely be over in six weeks.

I agree i really do not think that any parole board would keep him in prison for more then a few weeks.

I think these days we have lost sight of what a prison really is. It is meant to be a punishment yes. But the main reason for a prison is to keep a dangerous people off the streets and i really don't think someone who stole a 52c doughnut is exactly a danger to society. I think he should be forced to pay the 52c for the doughnut plus whatever it cost time wise for the Police, lawyers, judges and whoever else might have been involved in the case.

Or go back to the Old Testament laws and say he has to repay what he stole 10 fold. :P

I'd consider being locked up with Paris to be "cruel and unusual" punishment and therefore illegal...
I'd rather be locked up in a fictional CIA torture prison than that.

I'd consider being locked up with Paris to be "cruel and unusual" punishment and therefore illegal...
I'd rather be locked up in a fictional CIA torture prison than that.

Very funny! Paris must have some redeeming features though! I am too old for that!

In some countries a thief looses a hand or gets hit with a bamboo stick in public.

In some countries a thief looses a hand or gets hit with a bamboo stick in public.

To many human rights goodie two shoes over here to be able to do that.

To many human rights goodie two shoes over here to be able to do that.

After losing your hands you would definitely not be a thief any longer, not even on the internet.

After losing your hands you would definitely not be a thief any longer, not even on the internet.

I agree it would work extremely well. I just think there would be to many people prancing around calling it cruel and unusual punishment if we did start doing that.

I am a firm believer in not giving any mercy to people who have broken the law knowing exactly what the punishment for it is. Like what Australians call The Bali 9. Basically they were smuggling drugs in Bali and of course they got caught. Then everyone starts jumping up and down in Australia about how horrible it is that Indonesia still have the death sentence and they should not be allowed to kill these people. They went over there knowing full well that the punishment for getting caught smuggling drugs is the death penalty and yet they did it anyway. I have no sympathy at all for them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.