The gravitational collapse of time and space would be when the universe, if it does, collapses into a single point. That is what i thought he meant by it anyways.

Yeah, the closed universe theory in which gravity stops expanding the universe, and the universe contracts until it ultimately collapses into a single point (the "Big Crunch" I think is what they call it).. what does that have to do with a nuclear explosion?

I think he was talking about Lardmeister's list of things that will end the world as we know it.

Yeah, the closed universe theory in which gravity stops expanding the universe, and the universe contracts until it ultimately collapses into a single point (the "Big Crunch" I think is what they call it).. what does that have to do with a nuclear explosion? Or was he just talking out his ass again?

If you actually read back through the thread rather then the last 2 posts you might have a little bit more of a clue as to why that was posted. We were actually talking about a list of things that actually could be the end of the world. This isn't the Nuclear Power thread. This is the end of the world thread and there is no reason to give me bad rep just because you have not read the title of the thread or the posts in it.

If you actually read back through the thread rather then the last 2 posts you might have a little bit more of a clue as to why that was posted. We were actually talking about a list of things that actually could be the end of the world. This isn't the Nuclear Power thread. This is the end of the world thread and there is no reason to give me bad rep just because you have not read the title of the thread or the posts in it.

Actually, the thread had derailed and we were discussing nuclear explosions (for some reason), and for you to jump into the middle of it with something like

You forgot total collapse of time and space into a quantum singularity.

is completely confusing.. you derailed the derailed discussion lol.. if you are planning to change the subject then state it!! How the hell were we supposed to know what you were referring to, if you don't say so? We can't read your mind.

.. and anyway, this thread was designated to the Mayans, and their prediction that the world would end in 2012. The Closed Universe theory does not apply here at all.. so your comment was completely irrelevant anyway. The Universe is still expanding, and as of right now we have no reason to believe it will stop anytime soon.. it would take about the same amount of time for the universe to contract back to one point as it would for the universe to expand to its maximum (assuming this theory is correct). So, either way you are wrong.

Did you actually look two at the posts directly behind mine or did you just assume that you are always right? The posts right before mine involved a list of things for a Poll that would be the cause of the end of the world.

Did you actually look two at the posts directly behind mine or did you just assume that you are always right? The posts right before mine involved a list of things for a Poll that would be the cause of the end of the world.

Ignoring your terrible English, two posts before yours was this one:

I agree with you! Should have put "Those were the good old times!" into the rumination of the day thread!

..and two before that post was this one:

I think you are correct! My dad tells me that not too long ago people only worried about "Nuclear War" and "Communism". Those were the good old times!

So yeah, obviously you commented a bit late.. had you paid any attention you would have realized that we had moved on. Next time either pay attention or specifically state in your post that you are changing the subject.

Ignoring your terrible English, two posts before yours was this one:

..and two before that post was this one:

So yeah, obviously you commented a bit late.. had you paid any attention you would have realized that we had moved on. Next time either pay attention or specifically state in your post that you are changing the subject.

I actually did use Quote tags back to that post but for some reason it did not post with them properly.

Well appoligies from those of us who are not perfect like josh and have enough time to post in realtime like him.

Last time i checked a Forum was not an IM system and hence does get a little bit scew wiff like that. But hey if josh thinks otherwise then i guess i was wrong. If i had of known that it was to confusing for you josh i would never have posted it.

The Mayan Calendar is something profoundly different than just a system to mark off the passage of time. The Mayan Calendar is above all a prophetic calendar that may help us understand the past and foresee the future. It is a calendar of the Ages that describes how the progression of Heavens and Underworlds condition the human consciousness and thus the frames for our thoughts and actions within a given Age.

The Mayan Calendar is not predicting the end of the world 2012, but the start of a new era; the golden age.

<snipped>

orrrrrrrrrrr

He was just reeeeeeealllly good at math.

Um, I think you are a bit misinformed. From my understanding, the world will pass into the next age of man, in which humanity becomes more spiritual and godlike. However, there is indeed supposed to be a catastrophe that kills most of the human race.

I actually did use Quote tags back to that post but for some reason it did not post with them properly.

Well appoligies from those of us who are not perfect like josh and have enough time to post in realtime like him.

Last time i checked a Forum was not an IM system and hence does get a little bit scew wiff like that. But hey if josh thinks otherwise then i guess i was wrong. If i had of known that it was to confusing for you josh i would never have posted it.

Shame on you for running afoul of Josh's infallible judgement of relevance and acceptable posting practices. Did you not take account of his High Inquisitor Of Relevance And Forum Mores badge? Dare you question the Order and sow chaos in the Pattern of asynchronous communication?! Instigator!

commented: haha.. FU -2
commented: Even Josh's negative rep out for you. +3
commented: Rep doesn't matter in the Geek's Lounge. +6

Anyway, back on topic...

Apparently, there have been numerous predictions that reveal December 21, 2012 as doomsday. Most notably, the Mayans predict the Earth to undergo a pole shift in which there is a massive pole reversal which will cause cataclysmic natural disasters. Einstein himself also said this would happen, and scientists can confirm that the Earth has reversed poles before. There is also an ancient Chinese book(I ching) , when analyzed properly shows a graph of the highs and lows of civilization (fall of the Roman Empire, world war 1 and 2), and ironically this graph ends abruptly on December 21, 2012. Also, the ancient Hope civilization predicted that on this date the world will have been destroyed for the fourth time. Many other supposed prophecies have been made, and have surprising accuracy (that of Merlin, the cybil, Revelations, etc.). Also, this 'web bot' program has apparently made predictions that say 2012 is the end of time...

It's soo very interesting and exciting! :) As a realist and a skeptic, I believe it is improbable for such an event to occur in 2012, but not impossible. It is inevitable that the world will be destroyed.. why not 2012? I dunno what's gonna happen, but I'm definitely throwing a party on that day :)

Shame on you for running afoul of Josh's infallible judgement of relevance and acceptable posting practices. Did you not take account of his High Inquisitor Of Relevance And Forum Mores badge? Dare you question the Order and sow chaos in the Pattern of asynchronous communication?! Instigator!

I know. I think its just that im an over all terrible person. Poor Spelling, Grammer and sense of humor (apparently). I Thought that it was just because i was human and therefore make mistakes but my blindness has been lifted since meeting josh.

Anyway, back on topic...

Apparently, there have been numerous predictions that reveal December 21, 2012 as doomsday. Most notably, the Mayans predict the Earth to undergo a pole shift in which there is a massive pole reversal which will cause cataclysmic natural disasters. Einstein himself also said this would happen, and scientists can confirm that the Earth has reversed poles before. There is also an ancient Chinese book(I ching) , when analyzed properly shows a graph of the highs and lows of civilization (fall of the Roman Empire, world war 1 and 2), and ironically this graph ends abruptly on December 21, 2012. Also, the ancient Hope civilization predicted that on this date the world will have been destroyed for the fourth time. Many other supposed prophecies have been made, and have surprising accuracy (that of Merlin, the cybil, Revelations, etc.). Also, this 'web bot' program has apparently made predictions that say 2012 is the end of time...

It's soo very interesting and exciting! :) As a realist and a skeptic, I believe it is improbable for such an event to occur in 2012, but not impossible. It is inevitable that the world will be destroyed.. why not 2012? I dunno what's gonna happen, but I'm definitely throwing a party on that day :)

Or it could all just be a coincidence that all these things happen to fall on the same day. When you think about all the literature and information in the world today its not very hard to find at least a few things that complement each other. Be it in fiction, history or otherwise. Using this method you could probably find enough of this sort of information to support any idea its just that when it is all singled out it looks like it is alot more overwhelming then it actually is.

To be honest i almost hope something big does happen on the 21st of December 2012. Something that takes us all back to square one or close to it. I am not however counting on it.

"In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway."

Natural disasters and other such disasters can happen at any time. I think we would be much better off focusing on those rather then some theory that something big will happen in 2012.

I think we are missing the invasion by a outerspace intelligence that by poor choice lands in Washington DC, and consequently looks at us as just one pest to be exterminated.

I can't tell if that is sarcasm or not, because you write so terribly.

His post makes grammatical sense so you cannot use the argument that he writes terribly.

His post makes grammatical sense so you cannot use the argument that he writes terribly.

One can write a grammatically correct sentence, yet it can be incoherent and still make no sense.

For example: There were no aliens that were intelligent enough to devour the huge green rocket which was stuck on the end of the propeller within the large, oval endowment.

Does that make any sense? No. Is it grammatically correct? Yes. Would anyone consider this sentence well-written? Well, if it makes no sense then no it is not well-written.
Thus, you are wrong, jasimp.

No, it will be everyone in the middle east attacking Israel.

Why does everyone think Christians want war? Christians just don't rabidly oppose it like the PC people do, because death is not the end to Christians.

War is prohibited in the Baha'i Faith. PC was plagiarized from the Baha'i religion.

I can't tell if that is sarcasm or not, because you write so terribly.

Dear Mister Freedom Toast: "Written well enough for even stupid folks to discover sarcasm."

I think we are missing the invasion by a outerspace intelligence that by poor choice lands in Washington DC, and consequently looks at us as just one pest to be exterminated.

Terrible writing skills or not, I wish my French skills would be as good as your English skills. Besides, my reading skills take care of any "bad writing" on your part. Looks like that joshSCH character just can't read well.

This would make an interesting Hollywood movie! Thanks for your contribution.

Another note on 2012, that is the year that crude oil production will reach its maximum.

Good grief lasher511, I like your posts a lot better than the predictable poppycock posted by joshSCH. He seems to intimidate a lot of posters with his "terrible English" jerk stuff.

commented: I just dislike dumbasses, sorry. -2
commented: Thanks. Evened up josh's bad rep for you. +3
commented: >.> +3

Good grief lasher511, I like your posts a lot better than the predictable poppycock posted by joshSCH. He seems to intimidate a lot of posters with his "terrible English" jerk stuff.

Cheers. I must say the threads are alot more enjoyable when josh does not post on daniweb for a while.

I still think that alot of the arguments based around 2012 being the end of the world because all these things match up are nothing but selective hearing/reading. Picking out the things that are relevant to the theory that the world will end in 2012, bunching them up together and ignoring anything that might say otherwise. This makes the whole thing seem more significant then it really is.

What i really want to know is why are all these people so obsessed with an inferior civilization and their dating system. There is no evidence to say that the myans knew something that we don't.
As far as i can tell this whole thing is the equivilent of believing a childs predictions of the end of the world.

commented: well said +20
commented: Actually you didn't even up my bad rep, retard -2
commented: Just a little more, just for saying it +1

The Mayan way of time keeping was actually more precise than our current way of keeping time.. their calender has been known to be prophetic, and it's predictions have come true.. this is why people are so 'obsessed' about it.

The Mayan way of time keeping was actually more precise than our current way of keeping time.. their calender has been known to be prophetic, and it's predictions have come true.. this is why people are so 'obsessed' about it.

Whats this based on or rather what did the Mayans base this method on? Also in what sense is it actually prophetic? What did they base their predictions on? Also how accurate have these predictions been?

The clocks are messed up because of Daylight-Stupid Time

They could predict eclipses over thousands of years away.. their calender's time is precise within a fraction of a second.. much more accurate than our own.. no one knows exactly what their predictions were based on b/c one day most of them simply disappeared from their cities.. and no one knows what happened to them.

As for the prophecies, they apparently predicted the exact day that the spanish conquistadors arrived.. That's the only prediction I am aware of.. saw it off the history channel :)

They could predict eclipses over thousands of years away.. their calender's time is precise within a fraction of a second.. much more accurate than our own.. no one knows exactly what their predictions were based on b/c one day most of them simply disappeared from their cities.. and no one knows what happened to them.

As for the prophecies, they apparently predicted the exact day that the spanish conquistadors arrived.. That's the only prediction I am aware of.. saw it off the history channel :)

That is pretty impressive that they could predict things like eclipses based on the time period that they lived in then.

I never really got into South American history(more into european ancient history) so excuse all the questions but how accurate was the prediction that the Spanish did arrive though? Because anyone can predict something and chances are it will happen eventually. Also does anyone know how they actually went about Prophesizing these things? Was it drug induced/Divining (sitting in a cave full off smoke sort of thing) or was it something more to do with the sacrifices etc.

In the 8th century AD, it predicted that "..white skinned bearded gods would arrive from across the sea on march 5, 1519." On that precise date, Cortez and his conquistadors arrived in the new world.

i am always a little skeptical about things like that but that sort of accuracy is kind of trippy.

Yeah, and nostradamus predicted everything, but somehow it always seems to be some kind of revision after the fact.

Plus if all these modern day "future seers" are so damn good, why are they not using their skills to play the stock market or at Vegas, instead of peddling mush to those people who've only got mush between their ears.

Put this in your local paper, and see what happens...
"Wanted - psychic. You know who to call".

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.