2012 may not be the end of the world, but has been mentioned as the year when demand for oil will exceed possible new exploration for oil resources. A situation oil folks call the "Peak Oil".

2012 may not be the end of the world, but has been mentioned as the year when demand for oil will exceed possible new exploration for oil resources. A situation oil folks call the "Peak Oil".

So what do you think the price of petrol will be in the US in 2012? If it's close to $20 a gallon it would be the end of the world!

here its about 112.6p - 122.9p for unleaded and 124.2p - 136.0p for diesel

thats for 1 litre! (a litre is only about 0.2 imperial gallons!)

122.9 x 5 = 614.5

614.5p is about 12 and a bit dollars.

so yeah, your estimate is a true possibility for us in the UK

Nostradamus is notorious for making these kind of predictions. He predicted an end of world scenario but was wrong. He'll probably be wrong once again. Only his followers can bring about minor things, not a world ending one.

here its about 112.6p - 122.9p for unleaded and 124.2p - 136.0p for diesel

thats for 1 litre! (a litre is only about 0.2 imperial gallons!)

122.9 x 5 = 614.5

614.5p is about 12 and a bit dollars.

so yeah, your estimate is a true possibility for us in the UK

If I were you I'd walk, ride a bike, or ride public transportation. It is $3.85/gallen here today where I live. But it has always cost a lot more in europe than in US.

$12 a gallon comes out high because the US Dollar is so devalued compared to the British Pound. Also the US Gallon is 3.8 liters. Even though $9 per gallon for petrol in the US would raise some eyebrows.

public transport is crappy lol (and expensive)

and as if the govt. doesnt get enough from fuel tax, they get loads from road tax

on topic:

Here's a good article about the whole discussion

nice read on the myan calendar.

there's a general "feeling" held by many that something not good will come on 2012. judging by earthquakes & typhoons, it's already come in 2008! (and 7 and 5...)

the earth cannot end for 1007 + x years.
1007 = millennial reign + 7 yr. tribulation
x = unknown time
(if you believe the Bible...)

remember, even the apostles "knew" the end of the world was imminent.

should we live like there's no tomorrow? only if you're selling budweiser... :D

on topic:

Here's a good article about the whole discussion

Thanks niek, a real great web site!

It is possible that the smallest forms of life like a virus or even sublife like a misfolded protein or prion (Mad Cow) will do away with larger life forms eventually. Call it God's will.

It is easier to argue that a virus is sublife, as you call it, otheer then life since it is only dna/rna wrapped in a protein shell. A virus does not matabolize or reproduce. It is merely runs by chemical reaction brought about by the connection of a cell wall for which the virus is coded. It then injects its dna/rns inside the cell and the enzymes replicate the dna and protien shells until there is no more room in the cell at which point the cell ruptures and releases the thousands off viruses created by the cell.

It believed by most that viruses are not alive.

And your point about end of the world being caused by mocroorganism and alike is relevant but "god" having anything to do with it is definately not.

I think the mere action of injecting into another cell to replicate makes a virus a life form. Then there is the prion, just a protein, that gets replicated in its victim.

I guess one might stretch things a little and also throw in opportunistic cancer cells.

It must be God's will that those things exist.

Note: I really tried to follow the Keep it Clean rule here: A virus is like a penis. Not technically alive but some would say it is. It appears to have a mind of its own, even though it doesn't. It has to inject into another being to reproduce.
Viruses are not alive. They cannot reproduce on their own so they are not classified as living, although they are not dead either.

Jasimp - love the simile!
scholars disagree:Biologists debate whether or not viruses are living organisms. Some consider them non-living as they do not meet the criteria of the definition of life. For example, unlike most organisms, viruses do not have cells. However, viruses have genes and evolve by natural selection. Others have described them as organisms at the edge of life.
I have been interested in phages (anti-bacterial virii) for quite a while - I think with the current spate of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, the study of bacteriophages will come to the fore again (interest in phages stopped in the US with the discovery of Penicillin).

Look here for more info.

Ya its amazing how useless penicillin is becoming with the resistance of pathogenic bacteria growing. They will soon run out anti-bacterial chemicals produced by fungi and humans and then were screwed.

That when phages will come back into the limelight.

Ya its amazing how useless penicillin is becoming with the resistance of pathogenic bacteria growing. They will soon run out anti-bacterial chemicals produced by fungi and humans and then were screwed.

That when phages will come back into the limelight.

Mutating bacteria and prokaryotes could eventually become the ultimate undefeated enemy.

I had a sub in High School frosh bio class who kept telling us that viruses were alive.

Fun fact: According to the Mayans, the world will end the day before I reach the legal drinking age in my home country of USA! USA! USA!

Other fun fact: I don't trust it. The Mayans didn't predict the Spaniards...

Speaking of viruses, some author or other has written a few zombie books (including World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War). In these books, there is a virus called Solanum that turns humans into zombies.

Solanum is the genus name of the domesticated potato (Solanum tuberosum).

I had a sub in High School frosh bio class who kept telling us that viruses were alive.

Fun fact: According to the Mayans, the world will end the day before I reach the legal drinking age in my home country of USA! USA! USA!

Other fun fact: I don't trust it. The Mayans didn't predict the Spaniards...

It would make more sense for the world to end after you reach the legal drinking age! :)

It would make more sense for the world to end after you reach the legal drinking age! :)

Maybe a sticker on your car:
Danger, I am old enough to drink!

Maybe a sticker on your car:
Danger, I am old enough to drink!

Hey! Put that in the "What Bumper Sticker Would Your Car Wear?" thread. (Kidding!;))
...but good one!

some say that in 2012 december 21 we are going to enter a new era call the golden age and other says that a new sun cycle has already started and the sun storm will be too big and somehow kill us.thats by the NASA i think but yet another says that the world will not end as we know it but will collapse politically like the government we know will fall and soon the whole world will collapsedstarting with the superpower america first....check out this site mytelekinesis.com it has many article and a few on this...many powerful psychic are there with many powers...they are now organising a society call the dark moon society and is trying to save the world by helping the mortal son of the god back to power.

oh and the mayan calendar was made and predicts some 26,000 years ago i think=]

some say that in 2012 december 21 we are going to enter a new era call the golden age and other says that a new sun cycle has already started and the sun storm will be too big and somehow kill us.thats by the NASA i think but yet another says that the world will not end as we know it but will collapse politically like the government we know will fall and soon the whole world will collapsedstarting with the superpower america first....check out this site mytelekinesis.com it has many article and a few on this...many powerful psychic are there with many powers...they are now organising a society call the dark moon society and is trying to save the world by helping the mortal son of the god back to power.

Er, how do you define "powerful psychic? Do you have a link that supports your statement that NASA predicts sunstorms will destroy the world? Who is the mortal son of god? Where did he go? and Why would he want to come back?

it means that those people have super natural powers and they have proofs.they can move objects with their mind and have magical abilities and several of them have travelled to the astral plane.just go to the NASA official website i believe i was linked there from someone from mytelekinesis.com
there is this son of god and godness that is mortal and only he can stop the world from collapsing but he will have to go back to power before he can do this and the people of dark moon society is doing rituals to help the son of god back to power.if he does not come back ,the world with inevitably collapse.
oh and once the god come back,all the psychich on the earth will lose their powers but its for the greater good.=]

oh and once the god come back

srry i mean the son of god.the people have to give up their power to save the world.
and they are also planning to stop time on earth.[that can be done with psychic learning chronokinesis.the control over time.oh and everyone can be psychic you too can learn!]and join the world with the world of the fae.so that the faeries can help too.see for yourself in mytelekinesis.com!lol i think this is the third time i recommend people to go to this site.=]

Who exactly is saying these things? And what episode of Coast To Coast AM did they say this on?

commented: Balance++ (and then some) ;) +17
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.