http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/071016/K101608AU.html

A Scranton woman who allegedly shouted profanities at her overflowing toilet within earshot of a neighbour was cited for disorderly conduct, authorities said. Dawn Herb could face up to 90 days in jail and a fine of up to $300. [more]

UNREAL!!!!!

You cant even swear in your own house anymore :D

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

I would sentence her to go to church every Sunday for one year. They will teach her not to swear! In jail she will only learn more profound swearing.

commented: . +0
commented: good +19

They are just words. People take way to much offense to them.

Like yelling fire in a crowded theater? Just words! Not too long ago heretics were burned at the stake by the religions in power. Just words? I think in some Muslim countries they still stone people for saying the wrong words.

Yeah and I bet they're the same people that spout "stick and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me".

I meant words that people say to themselves when they get upset, like dropping something on your foot or when your computer crashes. I was not including the "fire" type example or insulting people.

Now that's what I call a real potty mouth.

Now that's what I call a real potty mouth.

LOL!!

Mary Catherine Roper, a lawyer with the American Civil Liberties Union in Philadelphia, took issue with the citation.

"You can't prosecute somebody for swearing at a cop or a toilet," she said

I think you can get ticketed for swearing at a cop, but when he is off-duty he is probably just like anyone else unless of course there is a real crime being committed. This is only the second time I have seen the ACLU do anything that I agree with.

What!?! That's ridiculous!

Well, yeah it's ridiculous - if you wave your arms and point at only part of the story out of context.

When you include this part

Her next-door neighbour, a city police officer who was off-duty at the time, asked her to keep it down, police said. When she continued, the officer called police.

it's not so ridiculous.

She was screaming next to an open window. He asked her to be quiet. She did not, thereby essentially disturbing the peace.

Not really much of a foundation for melodramatic indignation.

Wouldn't she have been better off DOING something about it? Like turning the stopcock off or something? (or is it on?)

Yeah and I bet they're the same people that spout "stick and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me".

I saw a funny flash movie about that once. One stickman picked up the words and used them like a spear

yeah.. unbelievable!!!!

She might have had a long history of yelling! Imagine you would live next to somethig like that!

"Me-first" government at its worst.

Hey man, you don't have to make a trivial comment to EVERY thread

Hey man, you don't have to make a trivial comment to EVERY thread

You mean like that one? :icon_twisted:

commented: And this one Mr Disney? -2

Hoho, good comment!

Care to elaborate?

commented: He has no idea what he is talking about, so you are out of luck. :-) +21
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.