De ne savoir pourquoi

Sans amour et sans haine

Mon coeur a tant de peine

~ Paul Verlaine

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Fliba dib dob dee

I don't understand "Pour un coeur qui s'ennuie"

It cries in my heart As it rains on the city Which is this languor Who penetrates my heart O soft noise of the rain By ground and on the roofs For a heart which is bored song of the rain It cries without reason In this heart which is nauseated What? Null treason This mourning is without reason It is well the worst sorrow To know why Without love and hatred My heart has such an amount of sorrow

lasher511's translation made as much sense. Hooray for irrelevant gibberish.

~ Paul Verlaine

Le poème très agréable ! !

Merci Beaucoup :)

Does that mean we can call them "French Fries" again? I never liked the name "Liberty Fries" anyway!

Does that mean we can call them "French Fries" again? I never liked the name "Liberty Fries" anyway!

I think they were "Freedom Fries" :P That was one of the dumbest things I had seen in a long while, which is saying a lot for a bunch that routinely does dumb things.

Given that it's Lardmeister saying it, and his responses elsewhere in this forum, I'm assuming he was mixing them with 'Liberty Cabbage' (aka sauerkraut).

Given that it's Lardmeister saying it, and his responses elsewhere in this forum, I'm assuming he was mixing them with 'Liberty Cabbage' (aka sauerkraut).

Heh, I never heard about the "liberty cabbage" thing.

Clearly a major mistake by Lardmeister, here is the official story ...

On 11 March 2003, Representatives Robert W. Ney (R-Ohio) and Walter B. Jones, Jr. (R-North Carolina) declared that all references to French fries and French toast on the menus of the restaurants and snack bars run by the House of Representatives would be removed. House cafeterias were ordered to rename French fries "freedom fries". This action was carried out without a congressional vote, under the authority of Ney's position as Chairman of the Committee on House Administration, which oversees restaurant operations for the chamber. The simultaneous renaming of French toast to "freedom toast" attracted less attention[2] but was mentioned in the film Clerks 2.

Here are other possibilities, I can just see "France" being renamed to "Freedom":
French kissing, French poodles, French salad dressing, French dip sandwiches, French ticklers, French horns, French augmented sixth chords, France and French letters.

French's mustard, was sufficiently concerned to clarify that their brand name was derived from a family name, and to issue a press release affirming its patriotism.

For those of you who are interested in "liberty cabbage", here is some background ...

... anti-German sentiment during the First World War, when sauerkraut was renamed as liberty cabbage, dachshunds (wiener dogs) as liberty pups, frankfurters as hot dogs (a name that has stuck), German Spitz as American Eskimo Dogs, hamburgers as liberty steaks or Salisbury steaks. Even the German measles were instead called liberty measles. [11]

Blind patriotism and hatred does strange things! Let's all laugh and forget about it!

Liberty...measles? I'd think they would have wanted to leave that one to Germany...

Liberty...measles? I'd think they would have wanted to leave that one to Germany...

No one wanted anything German to have infected their children. Having them infected with rabid nationalism is far better! :)

The only thing they left to the Germans was the "German Cockroach". Also the fact that Germans only play evil characters in Hollywood movies.

Accepted, but that's why I'd expect them to leave a disease in that name as well. Blame Germany (or Japan, I guess) for the bad stuff.

In the Hollywood movies I have seen the French play the sexy stuff, and the Germans play the bad stuff. Must be by design!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.