the original daniweb domain used to be a puppy site
check it out - http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://daniweb.com

Recommended Answers

All 64 Replies

haha.. interesting trivia..

Yup, back when I was 14 years old, DaniWeb was about my two puppy dogs. But even then, elements of the person I would become were present ... mixed into the dog site was a server-side search engine, a collection of webmaster tools, and an html tutor.

Yeah, I give ya props for having your own domain at the age of 14 ;) You must have been a tech guru from the get-go. But, I'm glad you decided to change the website into what it is today :)

yeah I dont think we would all be here if it was still a puppy site :)
And my computer would still have problems :D

yeah... unless your computer was named spike and you were looking for a toy for it...

i guess it'd still have problems...

Three cheers for dani and her brilliant techie forum.

cool... i always liked to think of myself as a puppy...

when I was 14 we didn't have a computer, let alone a modem or internet access...

How times have changed, that even kids operate websites ;)

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

when I was 14 we didn't have a computer, let alone a modem or internet access...

And hacks Pentagon too... ;)

This site is full of programmer pupies, come to get house... er I mean programmer trained. :)

I love puppies!

Specially the ones that come in pairs !

Specially the ones that come in pairs !

I assume we are keeping this clean?

I like puppies better than pussies...

commented: brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiilant +13

what happened, what made daniweb change?

Wha' ?????

No no no, pussies are better by far. I have two: A tabby and one that's Brazilian.

I assume we are keeping this clean?

What do you mean?

>>What do you mean?
If you don't know by now you will probably never know :) Which is why I would never ever refer to a cat in mixed company using that word. I got in a lot of trouble while stationed at RAF Miltenhall during the 1970s. I was in a pub talking to a friend. He was backed up to a fireplace warming his butt when I said "Warming your fanny huh?". His face turned all colors of red and he told me what it meant in UK.

>>What do you mean?
If you don't know by now you will probably never know :) Which is why I would never ever refer to a cat in mixed company using that word. I got in a lot of trouble while stationed at RAF Miltenhall during the 1970s. I was in a pub talking to a friend. He was backed up to a fireplace warming his butt when I said "Warming your fanny huh?". His face turned all colors of red and he told me what it meant in UK.

Cat? who mentioned cat? I was talking about a fox ... I think ... oh I'm lost now.

I know this is a weird country! Fanny is a perfectly legitimate female name, yet used in any other context it is loaded.

We have come a long way since the 70's. I doubt 'fanny' would create so much fuss now. I remeber even as a student in the early 90's. There were two pubs on opposite sides of the street in Plymouth's Barbican. One called Dirty Dicks and the other called Fanny's! He he :)
Dick also being a legitimate shortening of the male name Richard.

"Dirty Dicks and Fannys"

lmao.

Jwenting, pushing the boundries as always ;)

daniweb as a dog site... I'd never be here :S

nice thing to play with this Wayback Machine... how the hell do you find this stuff?

The Wayback Machine (archive.org) is owned by Alexa / Amazon.com. It's rather popular and has been around for a long time.

where in the world do they come up with this stuff? definitely, people should find something to do... :P

What year was it when you were 14 though?

I am a child of the 90s so i grew up on DOS/3.x/NT/9x

The puppy daniweb owns!

Dani should upload it to here so we can all see it again ;)

I had DaniWeb as a dog site throughout most of high school, so figure ages 13 through 17. We're talking about 1996 through 2000.

I started high school with both dial-up AOL and dial-up MSN and I remember that I got a cable modem in my junior year, when I was 15 or 16.

Then I started college and focused on school my freshman year. Then, my sophomore year I started TechTalkForums.com - a Perl-based forum providing free tech support and computer programming help. The next year it evolved into DaniWeb where it was relaunched in PHP using the domain I had lying around from my old high school site.

I can remember in college when the first visual browsers were starting to show up (Mosaic being the first). Most everything available was just text. Not long after, everyone and their dog was creating useless personal home pages with animated gifs, music, and links to crap that no one else cared about in the least.

(My first computer was a Commodore Vic-20 in the early eighties :P )

... Not long after, everyone and their dog was creating useless personal home pages with animated gifs, music, and links to crap that no one else cared about in the least...

The Dude cares. He seems to spend all day trawling through it!

The Wayback Machine (archive.org) is owned by Alexa / Amazon.com. It's rather popular and has been around for a long time.

Yup i know :)

>The Dude cares. He seems to spend all day trawling through it!

Oooo Burn.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.