"Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum.
And the great fleas themselves, in turn, have greater fleas to go on,
While these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on."

Thanks GrimJack, I was quoting from that!

Bumsfeld and Ancient, you guys a right, infinity in space can go in both directions, very large or very small. Wow, that gets your mind going!

Infinity is the tangent of 90 degrees.

Infinity exists. There's a setting of infinity on my camera.

commented: hahahahaha. DUMBASS! -2

Infinity exists. There's a setting of infinity on my camera.

Great examples of infinity! I am convinced now that it exists, thank you MidiMagic! 1/0 does not even come close to that!

oh yeah... that thoroughly explained the concept infinity to me... *sigh* :P

I am infinitely impressed too.

The tangent of 90 degrees is NOT infinity you moron. It is undefined since pi/2 radians is not in the domain of the tangent function. Another dumbass post by midimagic! Seriously, someone needs to start keeping count..

commented: Don't be such a crybaby. -1

Josh had to ask me on the IRC channel before jumping on this. I like how he used radians to look smarter.

tan(x) certainly tends to infinity as x tends to 90 degrees from below. However, it tends to negative infinity from values above 90 degrees. In some circumstances it might be convenient to consider tan(90 degrees) to equal infinity (and to consider tan(-90 degrees) to equal negative infinity).

commented: don't be such a douche -2
commented: :D +6

[16:08] <Josh> tan(90 degrees) isn't infinity, right?
[16:08] <Josh> it's undefined :)
[16:08] <Josh> ya
[16:08] <sarehu> 90 degrees is not in the domain of the tangent function
[16:08] <Josh> exactly
[16:08] <sarehu> but lim (x->pi/2) (tan(x)) does not exist
[16:09] <sarehu> since on one side, it tends towards +infinity, while on the other side, it tends towards -infinity

commented: ? thanks idiot -2
commented: Heh. +6

Josh had to ask me on the IRC channel before jumping on this. I like how he used radians to look smarter.

tan(x) certainly tends to infinity as x tends to 90 degrees from below. However, it tends to negative infinity from values above 90 degrees. In some circumstances it might be convenient to consider tan(90 degrees) to equal infinity (and to consider tan(-90 degrees) to equal negative infinity).

hahaha.. thanks rash. I knew it was undefined, but I just wanted to make sure :)

I used radians so it didn't look like I just staight copied you from the IRC, rash.. not to 'look smarter' lol

technically it's neither undefined nor infinity, but approaches infinity asymptotically.
Infinity in that regard is actually well defined in terms of Aleph 0.

technically it's neither undefined nor infinity, but approaches infinity asymptotically.

Nonsense. The function is not defined at the point pi/2.

Infinity in that regard is actually well defined in terms of Aleph 0.

This is complete, unforgivable nonsense. One 'infinity' is a point that extends the number line, while aleph 0 is the cardinality of the set of integers.

It is an intresting post
I think in the future there wont be place for huge magnetic or optic drives as we see now
the flash memory is going to dominate the future

flash memory is very far from being able to replace serious storage like tivoli, emc or netapp. as for backup, with LTO3 being larger than anything flash memory can throw at it, and with SAS technology and large tape libraries everywhere - tape backups are there to stay for quite a few years longer than anyone thought

tapes will stay for years

theyve been here since the 1950s (maybe the 1940s but not sure)

a tape is still a decent backup medium (80gb+)

there are 400gb tapes out there, and the new standarts will be over 1Tb

wow

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.