SP1?

For Vista. Is that really almost out already? Wow, time flies...

I wonder if theyll make SP3 acrappy security rollup like they did for 2k or if it will be a proper new-feature SP like SP2 was

The point of a service pack is to put a bunch of important updates together. Critical security updates are delivered as soon as they're available, but functionality fixes are almost always either put into the service pack or pushed back till the next release. SP3 will probably be more security or functionality fixes, but I don't really know anything about what they're doing with it...

i also object to the fact that microsoft have basically given people no choice but to upgrade. That and you have to buy bussiness or higher to be able to run it as a virtual machine or in boot camp on a mac.

Forcing people to upgrade is a very difficult process with computers. If it were easy, the x86 architecture would be long dead and only remembered as "that horribly designed assembly we used to use." For Windows, Microsoft is starting to force people to upgrade for similar reasons: there's some really crappy designs in XP and older versions, things that really need to be cut even if it means sacrificing compatibility. Several of those issues have to do with security models in the OS, which is obviously important.

As to the hardware requirements, while it's an unpopular move, the effort is meant so that people who can afford a nicer computer will also get a nicer OS. People who can't will get a less costly OS. This is really similar to a car, if you think about it. Example with Toyota's line: you could buy a Lexus (Vista Ultimate), or a Camry (Vista Home Premium), or a Corolla (Vista Home Basic), or a bicycle (Vista Starter). The bicycle seems like a total ripoff, but it's targetted at 3rd world countries, where even a little bit is a good thing. Of course, with the typically falling prices for hardware, even Vista Ultimate will run on what the average family (around here at least) can affort.

SP1 for Vista. I diddn't know that they were even going to make a SP3 for XP

The bicycle seems like a total ripoff, but it's targetted at 3rd world countries, where even a little bit is a good thing.

That is, by far, the most insulting thing I've ever heard. We even hate Vista Basic.

Home premium, ftw!

EDIT: FYI, we have cars; everybody doesn't ride around on bicycles...

Forcing people to upgrade is a very difficult process with computers. If it were easy, the x86 architecture would be long dead and only remembered as "that horribly designed assembly we used to use." For Windows, Microsoft is starting to force people to upgrade for similar reasons: there's some really crappy designs in XP and older versions, things that really need to be cut even if it means sacrificing compatibility.

The next windows server (not longhorn, the one after) will be 64 bit only so we can assume that the next desktop windows, or the one after that, will be 64 bit only too

people who can afford a nicer computer will also get a nicer OS. People who can't will get a less costly OS. This is really similar to a car, if you think about it. Example with Toyota's line: you could buy a Lexus (Vista Ultimate), or a Camry (Vista Home Premium), or a Corolla (Vista Home Basic), or a bicycle (Vista Starter). The bicycle seems like a total ripoff, but it's targetted at 3rd world countries, where even a little bit is a good thing. Of course, with the typically falling prices for hardware, even Vista Ultimate will run on what the average family (around here at least) can affort.

ms rip us off - they really screwed things up with the european prices, we pay nearly 300% what the US do.

That is, by far, the most insulting thing I've ever heard. We even hate Vista Basic.

Home premium, ftw!

EDIT: FYI, we have cars; everybody doesn't ride around on bicycles...

It wasn't meant to be insulting, and from the sounds of it I wouldn't call you 3rd world anyways. If you're runing Home Premium, then your computer is obviously fairly up to date. I was thinking more along the lines of the starving children in Africa, to whom corporate America has decided to give new laptops.

The next windows server (not longhorn, the one after) will be 64 bit only so we can assume that the next desktop windows, or the one after that, will be 64 bit only too

It's still largely based on the x86 architecture, and still a huge mess. The only reason x64 has been able to make its way into the market is because of the compatibility. And some clever marketing, which makes people think that 64-bit will improve performance. Really, I'd hesitate to call them different architectures; x64 is more like a desperately needed upgrade from x86, which in turn was an upgrade from 16-bit, etc... I'd point out the Itanium architecture, now only seen in commercial servers, which has a vastly improved architecture. It was originally created to take over the PC market and at that it managed only to belly flop... hard. Switching to it would have required re-tooling almost the entire software industry, and so it only fell into a very small niche market.

ms rip us off - they really screwed things up with the european prices, we pay nearly 300% what the US do.

Sucks to be you. On the other hand, the EU really tries its best to screw things up for Microsoft, so look to them for help...

I'd point out the Itanium architecture, now only seen in commercial servers, which has a vastly improved architecture. It was originally created to take over the PC market and at that it managed only to belly flop... hard. Switching to it would have required re-tooling almost the entire software industry, and so it only fell into a very small niche market.

Yeah, ive got an intel based workstation with an itanium 2 and a special version of xp pro. MS pulled the plug on this thoigh

MS pulled the plug because consumers were never in the boat. The Itanium architecture sounds pretty sweet from what I hear though...

yeah but they never released any decent updates for XP Ia64 so its full of holes, they did for server 2003 i think though

That's because nobody uses IA64 except for servers. Why spend effort (see: money) developing a product that never gets used?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.