http://www.ultrasonic-ringtones.com

I only heard to 12Khz (And just barely heard 12)

I wonder if soundcards are able to reproduce a pitch that high correctly!

Recommended Answers

All 35 Replies

I was able to hear up to C# (17.7 kHz) with my speakers on their normal volume. I'll be 25 on Sunday.

I got up to about 16 the other week. I'm 21. I was using some ultrasonic transducers I'm doing work on. It's weird. They're meant to have a narrow bandwidth at about 40 khz with 20dB/dec either way around the peak but you could hear well enough up to your threshold.
Oh, The Dude, it's your soundcard. There's no way you're that deaf. Most things are under that-ish level. Why make a card which can play sounds which can't be heard?

I couldn't really hear C#, C was just fine for me though.

I could hear all of them except the last (the F).I'm 19 :)

I heard them all up to D# (age: old fart)

Could yall really not hear the others? They all sounded clear as day to me :P

There were only two that I couldn't hear.

Hearing test results
You aren't even a teenager yet!
Your hearing rules! You're either quite young or you've looked after your ears.

If you can't hear as much as me than either (1) you need a new soundcard in your computer or (2) you need to stop going to those rock concerts or turn the radio down in your car.

haha.. I didn't know there was an evaluation:

You are a dog
Or maybe you are a mosquito, you certainly can't be human.

The highest pitched ultrasonic mosquito ringtone that I can hear is 21.1kHz

My roomate could hear all them except one too.. I keep playing the 21.2kHz one, and it's annoying him lol :D

Yeah, I've actually never really been to a concert.

Yeah, I've actually never really been to a concert.

Good -- a lot of young people loose their hearing (and probably other things too) in such places because of all the excessively loud noise. You can also ruine your hearing if you play lots of computer games while wearing head phones.

>>You are a dog
The author is jealous :)

Damn 19.9kHz is pretty good for older people.. Apparently once you become middle-aged most can only hear 8kHz.. I guess you haven't been to many concerts either :)

I don't go to concerts or night clubs nor do I play lots of computer games and I very rarely wear headphones, but I do keep the tv and car stereo up relatively loud. (My excuse for the car stereo is that I often keep the windows open and so I need to counteract the noisy wind.)

No night clubs or video games?! What do you do for fun? :P (Besides this awesome online community, of course :))

They have recently discovered that old age has very little to do with hearing loss. It's cumulative damage from exposure to loud noise.

Doctors in the 1940s concluded there was age-related hearing loss, but it is now known that most people were exposed to damaging noises from factory work, steam trains, and firearms. Soldiers in war were especially likely to show hearing loss.

NIOSH recommends that exposure to any sound over 85 dB SPL be limited to short intervals, and that no person be exposed to any sound over 115 dB SPL. The EPA recommends exposure control starting at 70 dB SPL.

Also realize that you might be experiencing a limit from your soundcard or speakers.

I had changed stereo speakers back in the 1970s, and thought I had a sudden hearing loss. I heard up to 22KHz with the old speakers, but up to only 17 KHz with the new ones.

I could hear up to 20K but a few lower I couldn't hear such as 13K and 16K.

Could yall really not hear the others? They all sounded clear as day to me :P

You might be able to hear, but can you listen?

They say that married men lose the ability to hear the higher frequencies of the female voice. Apparently a survival mechanism.

commented: lol +1

How high can you hear? On the lighter side, last time I flew to LA I was at 39,000 feet and could still hear perfectly well.

>> I could hear up to 20K but a few lower I couldn't hear such as 13K and 16K.
That's possibly due to aliasing with your sound card. The sampling theory applies to sound too, right?

Of course testing your hearing using an audio device with the response of a wet sock is going to give you the wrong impression.

Do you test your eyes by holding up various glass bottles and jars to see which gives you the best "improvement"?

You're a little frustrated that you can't hear all the tones that the young 'uns can but will be more than happy if it means you don't have to listen to their damn ringtones on the bus anymore.

The highest pitched ultrasonic mosquito ringtone that I can hear is 14.9kHz

I was able to hear up to C# (17.7 kHz) with my speakers on their normal volume. I'll be 25 on Sunday.

Happy birthday!

Didnt we make a thread about it last time? ill try and revive it...

I can hear 18.8 but nothing above that (my hearing rocks)

I don't even use headphone for the chronice pain they cause me, or listen to loud music. Not fair *sulks*

i suffer from server tinitis (i was premature) but i can still hear, so long as its not the exact pitch of the whining.

You know 11/11 11:11 has quite a significance. It is the start of Carnival season that ends with Mardi Gras! That means that you could or should be quite a party girl. Well anyway, happy birthday!

According to: http://www.paulsadowski.com/BirthData.asp

Your fortune cookie reads (are you hiding someone from us?):
The one you love is closer than you think.

Celebrities who share your birthday:
Leonardo DiCaprio (1974)
Peta Wilson (1970)
Calista Flockhart (1964)
Demi Moore (1962)
Marc Summers (1951)
Bibi Andersson (1935)
Jonathan Winters (1925)
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (1922)
Alger Hiss (1904)
Pat O'Brien (1899)
George Patton (1885)

11/11 11:11 has quite a significance. It is the start of Carnival season that ends with Mardi Gras! That means that you could or should be quite a party girl. Well anyway, happy birthday!

11/11 at 11:11 is when WW1 ended (the armistance)

we all have a minute of silence to remember war dead and wear a poppy (like those in flanders)

Imagine, the end of WW1 is also the start of Carnival! Death, followed by joy! I got to go and drink one glass of wine to that!

Almost forgot, happy birthday Dani!

do you not celebrate the armistance in france? thats odd if you dont, as prettymuch most of the war occured in france - i know its a big deal in belgium for sure.

do you not celebrate the armistance in france? thats odd if you dont, as prettymuch most of the war occured in france - i know its a big deal in belgium for sure.

Well, I know they don't celebrate it in the USA, even though they were involved. But then, there are too many other war victories to celebrate. I think we just throw all of that stuff into Veterans Day. Maybe some old timer relates that to the end of WW1. Usually you see some old guys with funny hats collect money in front of stores.

yeah veterans day is on the same day its kind of a combined thing.

Ours is getting like that now as theres only 1 guy left from word war one, so there shifting the focus to the other wars

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.