That's what I see this time of year. That and the Walton kids getting richer. Save America export Wal Mart.

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

it's your choice to take part in the collective raping of an ancient religion, personally i could care less. i just enjoy spending time with my family.

xmas is just a marketing scam to make up for what would otherwise be a terrible time for selling anything to anybody.

There's always a profit to be made from the prophet.

> i just enjoy spending time with my family.

Crazy bugger ;)

>There's always a profit to be made from the prophet.

haha good quote!

Personally I hate christmas, for the religious and noon religious reasons.

That's what I see this time of year.

So what. Christ has been co-opted for pushing things onto people since inception. Nothing new to see here really.

That and the Walton kids getting richer.

And it makes you angry that they are making a lot of money? Well, so are a lot of others. You resent all of them as well? Get over it.

Save America export Wal Mart.

What are you saving America from exactly? Capitalism? Cheap socks and radios? Peoples' desires to buy cheap crap will survive the the extinction of a single large retailer.

commented: I think you need a hug too +0

I personally do not like Christmas and the whole "tradition of giving". The way i see it is everyone buys presents for each other. You buy someone something. They buy you something. The only person who comes out on top is the person that sold you those things.

I do however like getting time off work.

Talking about Xmas, China is the clear winner here!

Awww, why does everyone here hate Christmas? :(

Awww, why does everyone here hate Christmas? :(

Look at the title, you are supposed to react/think about the commercialized part of the holidays. Give your wooden nickels worth of outcry about the demeaning of the holy man's birthday.

Look at the title, you are supposed to react/think about the commercialized part of the holidays. Give your wooden nickels worth of outcry about the demeaning of the holy man's birthday.

I just tend to think of it as giving like Christ would give.

commented: Good Point. Thank you. +3

>I just tend to think of it as giving like Christ would give.

By buying low quality crap from Wal-Mart which tacitly supports American materialism and consumerism? Sure sounds like "Christ" to me. Holidays are just excuses for corporations to sell you crap.

I believe, Sturm, that she was putting the focus on the giving...that is, as opposed to the 'GIMME! GIMME!' mentality that some people seem to have about the season. THAT, I would say, is what really supports 'American materialism'.

>I just tend to think of it as giving like Christ would give.

By buying low quality crap from Wal-Mart which tacitly supports American materialism and consumerism? Sure sounds like "Christ" to me. Holidays are just excuses for corporations to sell you crap.

Now when did I ever mention Walmart in my comment?

I believe, Sturm, that she was putting the focus on the giving...that is, as opposed to the 'GIMME! GIMME!' mentality that some people seem to have about the season. THAT, I would say, is what really supports 'American materialism'.

Exactly. Giving, Sturm.

>Exactly. Giving, Sturm.

Do you give presents to people who don't return the favor?

I think people tend to get involved in the whole Christmas thing for their kids. I know if I didn't have kids/stepkids, I wouldn't even bother with Christmas and would just enjoy the time off work (and the rubbish on TV ;))

I must agree...there is no Christ in Christmas..it's comercialized...i didn't really see how the whole giving, santa claus, family gathering was related to the birth of Christ?

Rms calls it grav-mas... (Newton's birthday)

Look at it this way, even in WW2 the shooting stopped for a short moment. Christmas is a celebration of a wonderful event, that is more important than the silly credit card shopping.

>Exactly. Giving, Sturm.

Do you give presents to people who don't return the favor?

Yes? Don't you? Some people do not have the money to give... but that doesn't mean they should not receive anything.

>Yes? Don't you? Some people do not have the money to give... but that doesn't mean they should not receive anything.

They always receive less.

>Yes? Don't you? Some people do not have the money to give... but that doesn't mean they should not receive anything.

That is the way the cookie crumbles.

Bruce Almighty was a cool film.

As in my previous post, I probably wouldn't bother much with Christmas if it wasn't for the kids. But I would never give presents on the condition that I was guaranteed to receive something back. It's the season of giving :)

I agree with sturm on this one. Just because they "should" get things regardless does not mean that they do. While in an Ideal world this would happen. In the Real world this does not happen.

"It's the thought that counts".
In other words,
Your present sucks in the worst possible way and I'm trying REALLY hard to sound thankful, but I desperately want to leave the room and throw up.

I agree with that, just because the majority of our society would "give less." But to me, they should receive more. This Christmas, I am giving $100 worth of presents to a girl that goes to my school who is very unfortunate and will probably receive nothing this year. And to me, it is still not enough, but $100 is all I can do.

I agree with sturm on this one. Just because they "should" get things regardless does not mean that they do. While in an Ideal world this would happen. In the Real world this does not happen.

I know, and it saddens me.

"It's the thought that counts".
In other words,
Your present sucks in the worst possible way and I'm trying REALLY hard to sound thankful, but I desperately want to leave the room and throw up.

Now there is a man with experience. I don't want to scare you, but that's how I feel too at times!!!!

I personally do not like Christmas and the whole "tradition of giving". The way i see it is everyone buys presents for each other. You buy someone something. They buy you something. The only person who comes out on top is the person that sold you those things.

I do however like getting time off work.

What about the people who WORK for the people who sold you stuff? They get paid too, as do the factory workers who made the stuff. And some people who are out of work can get temporary jobs during this period.

The thing I always hear is that Christmas marketing starts "too early." But look at everything they sell in stores nowdays. If you don't buy seasonal items 3 months before the season starts, you can't get them.

Just try to get winter boots or gloves in January, when you discover that yours fell apart in the closet over the summer. They are having the clearance sales for those now, to make room for the swimsuits for Spring Break.

It's not just Christmas. All of marketing is three months ahead of the actual season.

I did see one bright product this year: Solar powered Christmas lights.

commented: Cute. Real cute. +3
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.