A comment in another thread here got me to looking for something like this. How would the world change if we USA we no longer considered the most powerful nation? How would your life change ? Below is some speculation, or sci-fi if you will.

from here

Is everybody happy with the way the US is behaving as the world’s most powerful nation? No? Well, when has everybody ever been happy about anything? So let’s think about what other nations might do a better job.

What if Russia had won the cold war? How much do you really enjoy vodka? And do you long to drive a Zil?

How about if China hadn’t decided that military conquest would be too self-destructive and opted to give economic conquest a go? Wish you could dress like Chairman Mao? Or wonder when you look at the rulers in Beijing why you never see a woman? Could there be such a thing as the wonton ceiling?

Now let’s move ahead to the contentious moment in which we find ourselves. Who qualifies as being especially pestiferous? Who else? Iran can. And the leaders there seem to think they have all the right ideas, not only for their own repressed populace, but as the way the whole world ought to conduct itself.

So let’s go with that. Iran is now the most powerful nation of earth. What happens?

First, let’s deal with the response. Nations worldwide rejoice. Even some people in America rejoice. They just love the fact that the U. S. is no longer the title holder.

Prime Minister Jacques Chirac, lounging in the Élysée Palace, attired in a robe with a turban, Koran in hand, expostulated, “Actually, I’m looking forward to becoming a fundamentalist Muslim. All of France is. We’ve had Western Civilization for long time and, to tell you the truth, we could use a change. So out with old – like Plato, Aristotle, Shakespeare, Rembrandt, Voltaire, Mozart, Beethoven – and in with the new,” he apostrophized, holding the Koran high, “like my new favorite author Mohammed. I’m just not quite sure how to break the news to the folks in Bordeaux that wine is now forbidden fruit.”

Tony Blair, refusing to accept that Iran has any influence in the UK, addressed Parliament, maintaining, “I don’t care who’s on top in Tehran. In England, we’re going to go on as we always have. That means we’ve still got Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Keats, Shelly and, yes, Dickens, too, and I wish you, one and all, a very merry Christmas!”

And on the home front, President Bush requested TV time to address the nation, and said, “It’s my sad duty to tell you that the United States of America is no longer the most powerful nation on earth. We have surrendered the distinction to Iran. Worse yet, a lot of people around the world seem pretty happy about it. But we can be proud. We did our best to defend and spread freedom and democracy. A lot of people seem upset with that. So let me just say, let’s see how much happier they are with Iran running the show.”

Meanwhile, in Tehran, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, now the leader of the unfree world, gave a speech acknowledging his newfound imperium. It was unexpectedly harsh.

“Welcome to the first worldwide Iranian Empire. Darius couldn’t do it, but Ahmadinejad did. Here are some new rules of conduct. Everybody is hereby ordered to buy a Koran. Start to memorize it. During your period of indoctrination, you are forbidden to read anything else. There will be a test in one year. All those who haven’t committed it to memory will be in danger of losing more than their memory. Next, all fashion houses in France, Italy, and 7th Avenue are henceforth only allowed to design conservative robes and turbans for men and bourkas for women. On a social note, no more dating. All parents must do the matchmaking. No more music. It is forbidden. No more drinking – no wine, beer, hard liquor or the infidel beverages Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola. No more bikinis, either. We’re quite repressed sexually and we want you to be, too. More rules as soon as the mullahs who are really running the world give me my marching orders.”

The reaction was swift and Ahmadinejad, who had by now acquired the nickname of Ahmadinejab, because he always seemed to be poking his fist in where it didn't belong, had begun to learn the harsh lessons of empire – mainly, no matter how nice you are, or in his case, not so nice, the underlings will grumble.

Thus the great question came to hang over him like a scimitar. What is better, to be loved or feared? More challenging still, is either manageable?

Even as the most humble servant of Iran's Muslim clerics adjusted to his new role, a few people in scattered corners of the world began to ask, secretly and with fear of being detected even by their fellow fundamentalist family members, the most appalling question of all. Were they better off when the US was the most powerful nation on earth?

Tom Attea, humorist and creator of NewsLaugh.com, has had six shows produced Off-Broadway. Critics have called his writing "delightfully funny," "witty," with "great humor and ebullience" and "good, genuine laughs."

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Tom_Attea

Recommended Answers

All 65 Replies

Cool

Tony isnt the PM any more though, rather hilariously, the UN decided to make him envoy for middle east peace (what dumbass thaugt that one up, maybe he thaught that theyll kill tony and be happy)

lol bennet!
Tony Blair is as bad as Gordon Brown, silly Scottish people running England. Curses!
Why can't England run itself?!? Silly Scotland...

scots want england to run itself, dumbass

It's Scotland's revenge for centuries of English tyranny...

Gordon Brown -- very impressive resume. He certainly is no idot and has lots of political experience.

Prior to this he served as the Chancellor of the Exchequer under Tony Blair from 1997 to 2007, becoming the United Kingdom's longest serving Chancellor since Nicholas Vansittart in the early 19th century. He has a PhD in history from the University of Edinburgh[2][3], and, as Prime Minister, he also holds the positions of First Lord of the Treasury and the Minister for the Civil Service. He has been a Member of Parliament since 1983; firstly for Dunfermline East and now for Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath.

He actually was a child genis, went to uni very young (16 or something?). Interestingly, hes almost blind in one eye due to a rugby accident.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Maybe, but he lacks the charismatic traits a leader needs to thrive in today's tumultuous political arena.

"Brown" that name has a good ring to it!

So Gordon Brown has never worked a day outside politics, has no experience in how the real world works, has only ever lived off copious government handouts awarded politicians.

I'd call that a person who's utterly out of touch with reality ;)

There are plenty of world leaders that are totally out of touch. He shouldn't feel lonely. I still think is one cool dude.

So Gordon Brown has never worked a day outside politics, has no experience in how the real world works, has only ever lived off copious government handouts awarded politicians.

I'd call that a person who's utterly out of touch with reality ;)

He was a very pro-union and pro-working class labour MP back in the past though.

I think England has a fine man here. Girlfriends of Gordon Brown called him interested in only politics, even at an early dating age. He shares many ideas with President Bush, is pro Iraq war, pro Israel, pro nuclear and somewhat dour. Gordon drives a 4.2 litre Jaguar XJ V8 (Ford) which has one of the worst emissions, but what the heck is sure fun to drive.

Jaguar is owned by Ford?

Yes, Ford went on a shopping spree when the Dollar was mightier and bought Volvo, Land Rover and Jaguar. Now all these companies are for sale. Wait a while and you might pick up the whole Jaguar factory with your pocket change.

Ford also own Aston Martin as well :P
Then you have the other two giants along with Ford, Daimler-Chrysler and GM (General Motors), which own a multitude of other car makers

Of course Daimler-Chrysler is now Daimler only and Chrysler is on its own again. Actually Daimler had to buy its name back from Ford. They lost close to $30 billion buying Chrysler and then dumping it as unprofitable.

Oh yeah, Aston Martin of James Bond fame!

Back to the title of this thread, in all fairness AD, the author of that articel is one sick puppy and not a comedian at all. The government is paying Fox News big bucks to spread stuff like that, maybe the guy should cash in on that.

Now back to Gordon Brown and his taste of cars. As PM wouldn't he drive a government issue Bentley or Rolls-Royce?

I think he has a stretched Jaguar.
The Queen has a Rolls Royce, that is bullet proof!

I think he has a stretched Jaguar.
The Queen has a Rolls Royce, that is bullet proof!

If you want an bulletproof car you can get them from http://www.edisposals.com

From the description of a bullet proof vauxhall omega 3.0 litre:

" Driver and passengers protected for 7.62. Also Roof and floor protection for blast and shot to Manufacturers approval. Air Conditioned, PAS, 5 speed manual gearbox, Run Flat tyres etc "

£2,000 exc VAT

From iran to bullet proof vehicles....what next? What do you think about the iranian president visit to the USA?

WTF £2000 ???

you cant even the cheapest standard car for 2k

200,000 sounds more like it for a bulletproof one

isn't that 2,000 just the tax? VAT = tax?

"£2,000 exc VAT " means cost without tax

else its inc vat

ValueAddedTax is 17.5% of total

I thought it was funny. Cocky guy right there. His smirk rivals George Bush's.

I think he can taunt...because he had russia and china as backing. Also, Chavez calling Bush a devil...world leaders...can make things look bad for a country.

What If The Most Powerful Nation On Earth Was Iran? Reminds of the movie "The mouse that roared" (not sure about the exactness of the title). Iran is such a tiny country compared to the biggies, that this would never be possible!

such a tiny country compared to the biggies, that this would never be possible!

The "tiny" countries of japan/germany once conquered most of the world, as did britain

The "tiny" countries of japan/germany once conquered most of the world, as did britain

You forgot Mongolia, Persia, Italy and Spain.

Honestly, in todays world Iran wouldn't stand a chance in hell to conquer the world. Unless of course you believe in the power of prayers.

Well a bunch of farmers and poorly trained army men beat the most powerful army in the world to gain independence (American Revolution) so I am sure it is possible.

He was a very pro-union and pro-working class labour MP back in the past though.

like I said, out of touch with reality...
Unions are definitely NOT pro-working class, and politicians who say they are aren't either almost by definition.
Think Lenin, Mao, Pol Pot, Chavez, Mugabe.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.