e.g. some dimension where our 3 dimensional universe can fit in a tiny box,
or what else can be a dimension, can mass be a dimension as well ?
Your thougts please.

Recommended Answers

All 32 Replies

uncertainty.

How are you defining dimension here? Only the physical dimensions?

Mass is actually a part of the 3rd dimension.

I think that the forth dimension is now pretty widely accepted as time. (depending on what scientists you talk to)

As for a 5th dimension i don't think that we have really developed enough as a race to understand or even comprehend what the 5th dimension might be.

Again, are we only working with the concept of physical dimensions? Because by some definitions I've seen, a non-physical structure could be defined in terms of vast numbers of dimensions.

Perhaps string theory?

It depends what is relevant to your space, in an economic space PRICE would be a dimension.

From what i have heard, they have found up to 20 different dimensions! So yeah physics could show infinite dimensions.

From what i have heard, they have found up to 20 different dimensions! So yeah physics could show infinite dimensions.

In an infinite universe, why not? One of my dimensions is money, or the lack thereof.

Evidence actually suggests the universe is not infinite. It is just expanding at an extremely fast rate, so fast that you would have to travel at the speed of light to go around it. And as we know travel at the speed of is impossible for anything with mass.

While the Universe is not infinite, there could be an infinite number of Universes.

Here is an interesting thought, if our universe is expanding, then what is it expanding in? A test tube in some other universe, or perhaps we are just a single atom on a blade of grass.

Actually the most popular theory at the moment is that we have a finite universe and it is merely expanding constantly.

They actually think that things like gravity might actually be escaping from a different dimension as well. None the dimensions that scientists theorise about these days really have much to do with the first 3 dimensions.

Actually the most popular theory at the moment is that we have a finite universe and it is merely expanding constantly.

Almost exactly what i said a few posts earlier.

Almost exactly what i said a few posts earlier.

Yeah sorry i realised that after i posted it that there was another page of posts.

No-one's mentioned the old Dell Dimension! :P
(shoot me now)

Well, a point is dimensionless, a line has one dimension (length), a plane has two (length and width, thus creating area where length and width are both a part of), a volume, which has length, width, and depth, creating the attribute of volume which includes length, width, depth, and area as well. Since we are three dimensional creatures we cannot really traverse a fourth dimension although we are a part of it (just as area is a part of the third dimension, like a picture on the side of a block). The fourth dimension is time. Something we are obviously a part of, but cannot control because to us, it is linear.

You can control time with gravity.
(I think I mentioned this somewhere else, it might have been the Dark Matter thread).

No-one's mentioned the old Dell Dimension! :P
(shoot me now)

That's what I was thinking yesterday but I was afraid I would get bashed if I posted it.

I nominate cognition as the fifth dimension.

In previous post, it was demonstrated that the 3 dimensions, line, plane, volume are attributes of 1 thing, space. Time was presented as, almost, a separate dimension. I say it is not, that it is but a 4th attribute of the one totality.

Can space "exist" without time? Can time "exist" without space? (Can that which is contained exist without its container?)

Can either "exist" without thought? The same questions apply. Can thought exist separate of time/space? Can Time/Space exist without thought (which perceives them?)

One has to wonder if there is indeed a separation between time and space and thought any more than there can be a separation between time and space, which there cannot.

Or so it seems to me.

One has to wonder if there is indeed a separation between time and space and thought any more than there can be a separation between time and space, which there cannot.
Or so it seems to me.

You are right, there isn't it, it is called space-time.

You are right, there isn't it, it is called space-time.

Okay, now, include thought / and cognition into it. Without it, you have an incomplete picture.

No you do have a complete picture, space-time is the fabric that space is made of.

I guess that 'spirit' would be an alternate dimension. Ghosts, angels, etc. They live in the same "time" that we live, but invisibly. They influence us so why not call that another dimension? What do ya' think?

in addendum: "they live in the same time that we live, but invisibly (In a different space).

Ghosts, angels, etc. They live in the same "time" that we live, but invisibly. They influence us so why not call that another dimension? What do ya' think?

I think they don't exist.

OK! that's cool, but do you not believe in them because you can't see them or what? I once had a person tell me he/she didn't believe in the ocean because they hadn't seen it. My response (when I lived in Houston) was just to walk south. I'm interested in your response.

Ghosts and angels are not a certainty for all of us. Therefore I must discount them as the topic under discussion. But conciousness (cognition) is something we all have we can agree on that, and it is a distinctly separate attribute. (Ghosts and angels would have it as well.) Thus, part of them would be defined by this ... what I am calling the fifth dimension, cognition (consciousness) (of which thinking is an aspect).

I think, therefore I am has more meaning than is generally assigned to the statement.

Time-space-thought .. That's the universe I see. There may be more, perhaps "layers" or coincident dimensions. After all, Time space and thought all "fit" in to each other.

We can sense them, that's what gives us knowledge of their existence, what gives them dimension. For us, dimension is just that... that which we can sense. In fact, we cannot sense something unless it has dimension.

I find it astounding that thought / cognition has been left out of the equation for all this time.

Will or intention might comprise a sixth dimension, but I will have to think about that for a while before I'm willing to state it outright.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.