Sounds like a suggestive dance or exercise, but SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats) analysis has its champions and detractors. I am curious to know how many people actually perform a formal SWOT analysis when determining SEM and SEO initiatives? And for those who do or have done it, what is your opinion of the value of SWOT analysis for SEM and SEO initiatives?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I haven't done this kind of analysis. That sounds too complicated for me. I use SEO Elite to analyze my competitors. :)

I haven't done this kind of analysis. That sounds too complicated for me. I use SEO Elite to analyze my competitors. :)

Actually, it is a more manual analysis and it is a process that has been used throughout all areas for marketing. It is really just another way to look at what you are doing and check that you have all of your bases covered. Not complicated at all.

These all are used when a website promoted through all areas after analysis it completely.

I would say I do "informal" SWAT analysis. LOL

I do like bringing competitive intelligence methods to SEO strategy and planning.

Well, it's nice playing with acronyms and abbreviations or word plays in the SEO world but the main point is launching your web browser everyday and taking a look at our web rankings.

Well, it's nice playing with acronyms and abbreviations or word plays in the SEO world but the main point is launching your web browser everyday and taking a look at our web rankings.

If SEO and SEM were stand alone processes I would agree but they are both fully integrated into the marketing strategies of the companies whose websites you are optimizing. And that means that simply attaining top rankings is not enough. You have to prove the worth of your efforts, which mean dealing with another acronym called ROI. If you cannot lay claim to all or part of one or more revenue streams as being due to the results you have achieved, you are in trouble.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.