For those using social media or planning on using social media as part of their marketing plan (and ultimately their SEO and SEM efforts), Facebook is the Claude Raines of social media. Facebook is invisible to the search engines and there does not seem to be an abundance of work arounds available on the net. Two options are News Feed Optimization (NFO) and News Feed Marketing (NFM) within Facebook. And while these are nice tricks the reality is that a small percentage of feeds get listed.

Has anyone tried NFO and NFM within Facebook and are willing to share the results? I wonder if Microsoft, in their attempts to move ahead of Google as the pre-eminent search engine, will try to get Bing to recognize and list Facebook content.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I have never use NFO or NFM but I think there are many more media around to do your marketing.

Surely the point of marketing on Facebook is to reach the audience of millions within FB, rather than to use it for SEO purposes?

Surely the point of marketing on Facebook is to reach the audience of millions within FB, rather than to use it for SEO purposes?

Actually, you can probably accomplish both. You can have a web presence and an FB fanpage that you could/would market within FB. The FB fanpage and the website are linked together with the goal of increasing page rank due to the links but the benefits are probably minimal. But, since the most basic goal of SEO is to increase site traffic, the FB fanpage's fans would seek out your website which is linked within the FB page. The FB page should not be a full restating of your website but rather serve in the same way banner ads did originally, to give a sense or sample of the website content in a way that attracts the FB fan to visit the site to learn more. Would you agree on this rather basic hypothesis?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.