I have a domain name that is not relevent to the product I sell. I found that if I search on my domain name, not the URL, I come up on the top of the first page but I don't do well with my keywords. The keyword problem is heavy competition. I have 2 domain names already but one just redirects to the other. My question is can I have the other domain name seen by the search engines even though it is a permanent redirect? Can I have 2 domain names point to the same sight as seen by search engines? Is this against Google law? An example would be a domain name of mywheels.com selling cars. Searching "mywheels" puts the site on the top of the first page but searching "cars" puts it on page 45. If I owned domain name mycars.com, how can I get mycars.com to be seen and indexed by the search engines?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

IMHO and hoping I fully understand your questions, I don't think there's anything wrong in having different domains pointing to the same site.

Moreover its only obvious that your site would be #1, if your site is mywheels.com and you search for mywheels and it wouldn't rank the same for cars!

If you own mycars.com and you want it to be seen and indexed by search engines then you either submit same to the search engines or wait for the search engine to crawl same.

If you place a permanent redirect from mycars.com to www.mycars.com then I guess its www.mycars.com that would be seen in the long run.

I hope something out of all I just wrote makes sense?!

It won't hurt your rankings if you permanently redirect your first site to the second SEO-rich domain. And remember, having keyword in your domain just helps you somewhat better and it's not all. There are many sites that rank better than those keyword rich domains even though the former don't have the keyword in their domain.

I have a domain name that is not relevent to the product I sell. I found that if I search on my domain name, not the URL, I come up on the top of the first page but I don't do well with my keywords. The keyword problem is heavy competition. I have 2 domain names already but one just redirects to the other. My question is can I have the other domain name seen by the search engines even though it is a permanent redirect? Can I have 2 domain names point to the same sight as seen by search engines? Is this against Google law? An example would be a domain name of mywheels.com selling cars. Searching "mywheels" puts the site on the top of the first page but searching "cars" puts it on page 45. If I owned domain name mycars.com, how can I get mycars.com to be seen and indexed by the search engines?

If your domain is only for redirection, it can't rank well in Google as it has no contents. You should activate it to wordpress so that it can rank well in Google for any given keyword.

Also, if you have competitive keywords, you can always look for less competitive ones by researching.

Write articles out of the keywords and submit them to article directories and they can rank well in Google and will give you traffic.

I have a domain name that is not relevent to the product I sell.

Above all else, your domain name should reflect what your web site is all about.

Than you all for your responses. Want I'm really asking is "Can I submit a site to google and other search engines that is a just redirect to my main site? Google would see my original domain and the redirect pointing to the same site. Do they frown upon that practice?

You must start from the beginning to promote your new domain. Start submit to the major search engine, submit to social networking, social bookmarking and don't forget to put your comment at other blogs.....success for you....

the domain name is one of the most important keywords.It can boost your traffic only because it has keywords in it.Changing the domain though is not any easy thing.If you decide it do a 301 redirection to the new domain.surely it will not hurt you if you have many domains that point to a single domain and do 301 redirection.

This is how i understand your question. You have a domain which did pretty well in Google's serp. But it not contain your KW, if u keep your KW in the domian, the high competition will ne hard for u.
But, you know what, 2 domain names point to the same site will just seen as two sites by SE's eyes.And it envolved the duplicating issue. It may not work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.