Hello Good people,am not so sure if this should go here,i am student who is interested in developing a search engine that indexes pages from my country.I have been doing my research on Algorithm to use for sometime now and i have found HITS and PageRank as the best out there.I have choosing to go with PageRank since it is more stable than the HITS Algorithm(so i read).

I have found countless articles and university researches about PageRank but my problem is that i do not understand most of the mathematical symbols that form the algorithm in this papers.Currently,i cannot understand how the Google Matrix(the irreducible,stochastic matrix) was calculated with the algorithm,i do not seem to understand the Algorithm used.

I did my reading from the articles below:

http://online.redwoods.cc.ca.us/instruct/darnold/LAPROJ/fall2005/levicob/LinAlgPaperFinal2-Screen.pdf
http://ilpubs.stanford.edu:8090/386/1/1999-31.pdf

Please i need you to help me go through it,i need a basic explanation(examples will be nice) with less mathematical symbols.

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Thanks for sharing the pigeonrank system. It had be going until I saw one of the questions regarding if the smartness of pigeons and then I realized it was an April Fools prank. Thanks for the chuckle.

No body knows Google algorithm,...don't waste your time calculating best thing you do is to build related link to your site with high page rank.

If you cant understand the math, then you won't develop a suitable algorithm to create the rank either

bad translation
page rank = sum of all inbound links as (stability factor times number of inbound (links times rank of inbound linking page) / outbound links ) as variation in page rank approaches zero

postscript : i can calculate the math, because my calculator includes sigma functions, I cant write the math

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.