I am little confused here.Google says it does not pass any value to no follow links but I have too many no follow links and my website still getting good rank.So what is truth..?

Recommended Answers

All 53 Replies

Backlink is backlink, no matter dofollow or nofollow. Of course, dofollow backlinks would benefit your PR at the same time. :)

Yeah I agree with you AirForceOne. It doesn't matter whether it is dofollow or not but now Google prefers nofollow. Maybe your site is in sandbox!!!

Backlinks is but one of many factors Google uses to determine rank. It is not the end all be all of ranking. However incredible this may sound, perhaps you have good content. Content is usually far more important to the search engine than incoming links. You can have a zillion links but if you haven't any content worth offering an Internet visitor you won't get high rankings. Five years ago, maybe, but not today.

Thanks.. Content is the King.. That's one of the factor that you can drive more traffic to your website.

no follow link is also a backlink it wil come into accout when pr comes into..

no follow link is also a backlink it wil come into accout when pr comes into..

... you mean when new PR values are assigned. Yep. that's about amounts to it. Any link building can be a great way to gain PR, follow or nofollow. Increases traffic too but not the knid that'll make a telephone call for your service or purchase your product, no, Internet noise. Robots, crawlers and marketing people looking to click and follow links don't matter whose site it's on. Great thing that PR. Impresses the hell of web site owners too. "Look, we're at PR 5!", and yet the search engine rankings are slipping or non-existent and the coveted PR5 website is being smoked by PR1 web pages in the SERPs. Why's that GreyHat?

Well, having too many nofollow inbound links is not a problem as however they do not have link juice but still they help in terms of diverting traffic towards a site.

Hi there,

Well, Google do not read the no-follow links, so google don't able to remove that links.

Many Thanks,

They don't influence your rank directly, but they help to improve your traffic and traffic is one of the reasons of your top position.

No follow links do not pass you any PR juice, are you sure your good rank are contributed by no follow links? I believe it might be some other factors boost your site, such as your own good content. Though no follow links do not pass PR juice, but if these links are highly relevant, they can also help, I think.

I am agreed with you skylarslad. no follow links help to improve your traffic and traffic is one of the main reason to be on the top.

in my point of view "no" ...bcoz we can get direct traffic to that links as well

Yes, I agree even I have a site with no-follow links and it ranks well.

Content,Keywords and related back links are Key factors

That's right..
You must choose "follow" because it can be increase website traffic...

Thanks and hope it can help

My humble 2 cents worth,

Traffic Wise - dofollow or nofollow link doesn't matter as long as the link is from a quality site that brings you good traffic.
So please do not exclude nofollow links in your SEO campaigns.

SEO Wise - some of my nofollow links do show up but some don't. I don't know exactly how the google algo works. Who does?

No-follow links are beneficial for diverting traffic towards your site.

Back links are always helpful and Google also importance to it.
Although these no follow links are important in some conditions.
Thanks.

I think a little value still is being passed but not confirmed.......

They're worth getting. Organic backlink growth says that you'll get both nofollow and follow links, not just one or the other.

Nofollow links help in getting traffic to your site - that's about it.

all no follow means is that search engine bots don't click the link and go to the site, but they still crawl the text

this is quite clear.... but how the link itself and its presence works for the rank? will be counted?

one million dollar question!

So, after reading all these posts, does no-follow link contributes to the pr? If so, why so many forums and blogs wanna put the no-follow attribute in their pages? :?:

So, after reading all these posts, does no-follow link contributes to the pr? If so, why so many forums and blogs wanna put the no-follow attribute in their pages? :?:

They add 'no follow' to encourage honest participation. In other words, they do not want people commenting who are only looking to get a link. Quite frankly, I would do the same if it were my blog.

No Google is definitely clear about no follow attribute. It does not confer PR but can help get pages indexed
Also doing well in the search engines i.e appearing high for your search terms is not the same as having PR
You probably have decent on page optimization or are after low competition websites

No there is not true no follow means crawler do not visit your site but it cached the link ...means google crawler do no not divert form that site it only cache that site content .....
people put no follow because in blog many people takes link so to prevent the diversion blogger use no follow code ..

No Follow links are not totally worthless.
If they are from your related niche, it will be an added advantage.
Yahoo search engine still gives some weightage to nofollow links.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.