The most popular and important Internet directories are DMOZ and Yahoo
Some advantages of directory submission are:
1)link is indexed by the search engines quickly.
2)Directory submissions give you one-way links
3)Directory submissions allow the anchor text of your choice
4)Directory submissions are mostly free
5)Directory submissions send you targeted traffic

Recommended Answers

All 83 Replies

Yes, other than the two you mentioned as the most important, if your product/services is geared towards a niche, then it be good to find a site/community where that niche is at and be linked from there as well.

Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm but directories are not so hot for getting backlinks that actually help your SEO apart from DMOZ and Yahoo. At least not the free directories. The free directories tend to post your links on pages that have really low PR and a lot of them use no follow attribute

I also wish to echo the same opinion as expressed by other members who replied to this post. Other than Dmoz and Yahoo Directory, many other directory submissions are not considered links by Google. I have submitted to more than 200 directories, but only one link was taken by Google.

This is for your info.

I don't bother with DMOZ anymore either, rarely do I see a DMOZ link listed in Google's sample of backlinks. That usually means the link is negligible in value. The DMOZ editors are mostly dweabs too and are easily influenced in giving you either a great listing or a meaningless one. I've had both and either way doesn't amount to any additional traffic of significance nor a ranking influence. As far as Google is concerned, its directory is about as useless as the rest of them.

Good points there!

I also wish to echo the same opinion as expressed by other members who replied to this post. Other than Dmoz and Yahoo Directory, many other directory submissions are not considered links by Google. I have submitted to more than 200 directories, but only one link was taken by Google.

This is for your info.

The 199 other directory links that Google doesn't show doesn't necessarily mean they aren't accepted as links, they're just links whose derivatives are overly similar to each other and, being of little value to the Internet visitor, don't merit much value or even recognition in a backlink check.

Yes, is true I have submitted to hundreds of directories but zero backlinks taken.

Yes, is true I have submitted to hundreds of directories but zero backlinks taken.

exactly. Even if your link is approved, there are slim chances to get indexed by Google..

But it still worth for you to spend some time to submit i.e. top 50 high pr directories. Even if there are no backlinks, you will have the free traffic advantage from submitting your website to directories (if directories are not for driving traffic, why do directories exist in the first place?)

But it still worth for you to spend some time to submit i.e. top 50 high pr directories. Even if there are no backlinks, you will have the free traffic advantage from submitting your website to directories (if directories are not for driving traffic, why do directories exist in the first place?)

traffic from web directories? are you joking right?

Actually posting on those link farms may be deleterious for your SEO rankings.

Actually posting on those link farms may be deleterious for your SEO rankings.

i agree with InsightsDigital. Link farms tend to link to EVERYTHING - including low quality, spammy websites. Google and other major search engines can see this and consider the directory a "bad neighborhood" - thus negatively impacting your sites rankings.

If you are planning on submitting to directories, it is best to obtain citations from those that have editorial integrity and have established themselves as a quality resource. A directory that rejects spammy, low quality website submissions is a directory worth submitting to in my opinion.

In my own experiences, directory submission would still work but not so useful as it used to be. :) I would recommend social media instead.

Thanks,

Good trick...
Thanks for sharing this ....it's very helping me to understanding benefits from using directory submission..

These all oints are the best points, but the main thing is that we have to submit the url on such directory which provides the static links...not a dynamic...
then sure u will find out the best backlinks

i agree wtih canadafred.Directory submission is very easy process to submit and you can handle the submission task by your own.

I do agree with your points. However, there are directories which take lot of time to approve, even there are sites which do not approve at all.

I agree..all of the benefits is correct and it also help your rankings in SERPs when you use do-follow directories.

One of they key advantages is submitting to quality directories will help get your site into SERP's much quicker and bring in more quality traffic to your listing and your website!

Very helpful article to me.I came to know the benefits of directory submission.Thanks for sharing the tips.

Directory submission is help to get back links, but it is more time consuming and take long time for approval

There are such a lot of criterions that search engines follow to determine a web site’s rank for certain key or search words. One of those includes links to the site. The page rank of a site is directly related to the number of links it has. The a lot of links you have got pointed to your website, with some variation of the key phrase you would like to rank high for, the higher ranking in the search engines you may receive.

Good post lysandra but some important things to consider such as choose only dofollow directories, submit site under most relevant category, rotate page title etc..

But directory submission takes long time to give backlinks to sites

Try to submit the links on some very excellent and high PR sites for getting back links.

The benefits of Directory Submission are:
1. Back links
2. Search Engine Indexing
3. Anchor Text
4. Frequent visits by spiders

Directory submission is best way to get traffic as well as increase PR also.

commented: Absolultely horrible signature. -3

When would a directory submission not be free? Who isn't free to use?

it is useless to submit website in thousands of directories just submit in pr directory will help you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.