Hello,

I am addicted to social bookmarking sites now and stopped using web directories. There are several reasons I think social bookmarking sites are better than free web directories.

1. social bookmarking sites approve your web site, pages, immediately.
2. you can submit any inner page to social bookmarking sites.
3. web directories take time to approve but no guanrantee.

I think my web site, new pages get indexed on search engines faster when I submit them to social bookmarking sites.

Thanks for reading and I hope I contribute something.

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

I agree to this, even I find social bookmarking sites better then directories.

Uhm... I think that these are not an issue. Directories naturally get longer to get approval because most of the better directories are sorted by humans. As such, you get more relevant traffic from directories and have higher conversions.

If you look at it from an SEO standpoint, I still don't think that you should disregard any site that could give you a quality backlink.

Social bookmarking sites these days are more popular and can drive some decent traffic and links however, directory submission is not that effective unless the one you get linked are old authority sites.

Both directories and social bookmarking sites are useful. But directories are difficult to get listed and it takes time to be approved. But do you have the useful list of social bookmarking sites?

Yes, as far as considering traffic social bookmarking providing better traffic than web directories.

Both are good it depends on which channel you want to use any why.
Social bookmarking mainly used for traffic and link directories used for increasing the back links.

I agree with the fast approval rating of social bookmarking sites and they provide you immediate back links most especially if the site has good pr.

Hi, IMHO, the reason is:
1. social bookmarking sites can approve quickly.
2. you can submit any inner page to them.
3. web directories take time to approve and there is no guanrantee that they will.

And google does not give too much importance to web directories nowadays since webmasters have been abusing it.

And google does not give too much importance to web directories nowadays since webmasters have been abusing it.

Webmasters are also abusing so called "social bookmarking" sites. Which is why, like submitting to directories, you should only submit and try to get listed in the bookmarking sites that are established and have some sort of integrity.

yes
they are useful
they are seo friendly backlinks

Even I too agree with you, but the social bookmarking links only have short period of time, soon it will be deleted and you loose back links.........so do also web directories...
http://www.adnpost.com/

I think social bookmarking sites serve a purpose, but you shouldn't exclude directories, they all contribute to increasing traffic to a site. Using them both will help to ensure your sites remain popular and up to date.

You are right friend,I am completely agree with your knowledge. I am also believe bookmarking is better than free directory submission.

Can you tell me which is the best Forum or Bookmarking?

Waiting for your answer!

I m agree with you web directoryeds site take very long time to approve

In case of social bookmarking we get a good traffic and targeted audience by doing a single thing.but in case of directory we get only one benefit so in my opinion it is necessary to doing the both because both have their own importance

Social bookmarking sites are better as they take less or negligible time in approving then web directories take.

Social bookmarking is always better than directory, because of not only for backlinks, it also brings huge amount of traffic to website. Similarly, social bookmarking helps to get index the new pages of a website. For example, if you submit the news in Digg, it will be getting index in search engines soon than web directories.

Hello,

I am addicted to social bookmarking sites now and stopped using web directories. There are several reasons I think social bookmarking sites are better than free web directories.

1. social bookmarking sites approve your web site, pages, immediately.
2. you can submit any inner page to social bookmarking sites.
3. web directories take time to approve but no guanrantee.

I think my web site, new pages get indexed on search engines faster when I submit them to social bookmarking sites.

Thanks for reading and I hope I contribute something.

I totally agree with the reasons you mentioned.
BTW, submissions at social bookmarks are usually indexed by search engines faster than that at web directories.

A lot of useful points mentioned but of course not all directories are bad because there are some high quality and paid ones out there selling links which can be very useful to your web rankings. For example the Yahoo Directory is still believed to be an authority portal but you are right about a lot of low quality directories which may not add values to the websites listed there.

I agree that social bookmarking help in getting the page index fast and bring more traffic to your site but does not help in increasing backlinks...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.