I'm stuck in a situation where I'm being forced to park www.parking.com at www.lot.com. As much as I wish I could do a 301 redirect, it's just not possible.

How do I make sure that lot.com isn't negatively impacted SEO wise?

My initial thought was to run $_SERVER (it's a php site) at the top of each page, and echo "index" if that returns lot.com or "noindex" if it returns parking.com.

Is this enough to keep me safe? Would this even work? A friend of mine told me that $_SERVER will return lot.com no matter which domain I go to. Is that true?

Thanks so much for the help.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Right, your friend is right since the $_SERVER[] would only return the current domain visitors are on. I think a 301 redirection via your CPanel or other hosting interface would be OK for this purpose.

have a nice day,

Right, your friend is right since the $_SERVER[] would only return the current domain visitors are on. I think a 301 redirection via your CPanel or other hosting interface would be OK for this purpose.

have a nice day,

Thanks, but like I said above I am unable to use a 301 redirect. For business reasons, the two domains must be kept separate.

For what it's worth, $_SERVER DOES give me what I need.

At the top of each page for the site that isn't mine I have <meta name="robots" content="noindex,follow" />

Is that enough to prevent me from duplicate content penalties?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.