hi ,

i am seeing people write to do SEO , SEM and PPC etc , what exactly is SEM ? I know its full form ;) but what does it do ?? is it worth for start-up as well as established websites ?

thanks

Marshal

Recommended Answers

All 36 Replies

SEM stands for search engine marketing.SEM is a way of improving site's ranking in SERP through SEO,PPC ads,paid inclusion&sponsor ads.SEM involves paid linking while SEO looks natural linking.

SEM is a broader term that describes doing both SEO and PPC

... and as the serach engine results pages offer video and news results, they too fall into the "broader term" cscgal refers to, I think.

SEM stands for search engine marketing.SEM is a way of improving site's ranking in SERP through SEO,PPC ads,paid inclusion&sponsor ads.SEM involves paid linking while SEO looks natural linking.

oh okay . So is it good for SEO ?? actually that was my question :)

SEM is a broader term that describes doing both SEO and PPC

so SEM is essential for SEO ?

... and as the serach engine results pages offer video and news results, they too fall into the "broader term" cscgal refers to, I think.

okay so SEM provides for web / images / video ?? for all ??

Hi,
sem:- sem stands for search engine marketing. its a paid process.

seo:- seo is a free service to get the rank high of your site in search engine.

Hi,
sem:- sem stands for search engine marketing. its a paid process.

seo:- seo is a free service to get the rank high of your site in search engine.

As i wrote in my thread i know the meaning ;) o SEM :) .. i wanna know is it good for seo ?? or they both are different ??

thanks

ursimrankhanna, you have it backwards.

SEO = Search Engine Optimization techniques such as on-page optimization (meta tags, keyword density, etc) and off-page optimization (getting backlinks)
PPC = Pay Per Click is purchasing clicks from Google AdWords or other search engines
SEM = Search Engine Marketing is a broad term to describe everything you can do to get traffic from the search engines. It includes SEO and PPC.

hi ,

i am seeing people write to do SEO , SEM and PPC etc , what exactly is SEM ? I know its full form ;) but what does it do ?? is it worth for start-up as well as established websites ?

thanks

Marshal

SEM stands for Search Engine Marketing its a type of internet marketing that promote a website by using search engine optimization techniques to increase the visibility of web site in search engine result pages (SERPs)

The New York Times restricts the definition to 'the practice of buying paid search listings

SEM stands for Search Engine Marketing its a type of internet marketing that promote a website by using search engine optimization techniques to increase the visibility of web site in search engine result pages (SERPs)

The New York Times restricts the definition to 'the practice of buying paid search listings

okay , so acc. to you it is Good for SEO / ? right /

SEM is often used to describe acts associated with researching, submitting and positioning a Web site within search engines to achieve maximum exposure of your Web site. SEM includes things such as search engine optimization, paid listings and other search-engine related services and functions that will increase exposure and traffic to your Web site. And yes it is good for SEO.

SEM is often used to describe acts associated with researching, submitting and positioning a Web site within search engines to achieve maximum exposure of your Web site. SEM includes things such as search engine optimization, paid listings and other search-engine related services and functions that will increase exposure and traffic to your Web site. And yes it is good for SEO.

okay thanks for your answer :)

This thread is solved :) i know what is sem and its importance :)

thanks to all

seo is search engine optimization and sem is search engine marketing

seo is search engine optimization and sem is search engine marketing

thanks for your reply " which i already wrote in my thread " . This thread has been solved.

SEM is a short form of Search Engine Marketing and it is a paid search marketing option. It is totally different from organic/natural SEO as the results are based on the price you are paying for getting ranked. The higher you bid, the better position you would get in sponsored search.

Good for SEO: Well, it depends on your budget, if you can afford SEM campaign than it would be a good thing to get targeted traffic. Otherwise, it does NOT have to do anything with organic search results.

Good luck,

Search Engine Marketing is a form of marketing where one needs to go for PPC, & other paid form of marketing whereas SEO is a free as well as paid form of marketing wherein one can go for off-page & on-page optimization techniques.

The practice of getting your website visible on the major search engines, such as Google, Yahoo! and MSN. Essentially, SEM is about delivering traffic to your website. Two of the most successful SEM strategies are search engine optimisation, and pay-per-click advertising campaigns.

Seo is part of sem, in sem we also include ppc.

SEO Means Search Engine Optimization ( Organic Listing)

SEM Means Search Engine Marketing like ( PPC, SMO, Paid Listing )

Thanks
Balu

As per mine knowledge SEM is only related to traffic either paid or free such as Yahoo,Google,Bing etc..It's just an form of paid advertising that guarantee placement over the leading engine search....

I agree with cscgal.. thanx for that information

SEM is just like ppc but its only appears in search engines.by this we can increse our search ranking for keywords

SEM is a short form of Search Engine Marketing and it is a paid search marketing option. It is totally different from organic/natural SEO as the results are based on the price you are paying for getting ranked. The higher you bid, the better position you would get in sponsored search.

Good for SEO: Well, it depends on your budget, if you can afford SEM campaign than it would be a good thing to get targeted traffic. Otherwise, it does NOT have to do anything with organic search results.

Good luck,

thnx for the usefull post mate :)

Marshal

Search Engine Marketing is a form of marketing where one needs to go for PPC, & other paid form of marketing whereas SEO is a free as well as paid form of marketing wherein one can go for off-page & on-page optimization techniques.

ahhh yes i think i have read it before :)

but anyways thnx

The practice of getting your website visible on the major search engines, such as Google, Yahoo! and MSN. Essentially, SEM is about delivering traffic to your website. Two of the most successful SEM strategies are search engine optimisation, and pay-per-click advertising campaigns.

thnx mate for your answer .. though there is one more thing comes in SEM .which i am looking ;)

Seo is part of sem, in sem we also include ppc.

wow very short ;) :D that i can GOOGLE it as well Jacks smith :D

As per mine knowledge SEM is only related to traffic either paid or free such as Yahoo,Google,Bing etc..It's just an form of paid advertising that guarantee placement over the leading engine search....

oh okay :) nice .. that was a simple defination :) .. though it wasn't the complete one but one of the good as here explained

thnx

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.