would it be smarter to optimize the same keywords in your content for each webpage on your site or to optimize different keywords for each page?

i am thinking that optimizing the same keywords in my content for each page would increase the amount of pages i have on the internet and give me a better chance of one of my pages coming up in a search engine.

my website has one major theme, and using the same keywords on each page would make sense.

what do you think?

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Pick one or two keywords that the entire site should target, and be sure to use those throughout as a common theme. However, every single page of your site should target its own small selection of keywords, and have its own page title, meta tags, and body content.

what do you think would happen if I used the same ones on each page and not different ones?

You would be struggling with the 10,000,000,000 other sites targeting those keywords, and wouldn't rank for many other terms. It's really just very poor SEO practice to not treat every page like an individual page.

so, if i have a website like myspace.com, where people create profiles for themselves, and made my url is: ourspacecom/people-profiles.php, and wherenver someone creates a profile it would make another page like ourspace.com/peopl-profiles.php2345.

and i had 1000 users and have 100 pages that start with ourspace.com/people-profiles.php and i targetd the keywords: personal profiles, people profiles,I would not have a better chance of getting my website found when people search for those keywords?

I am thinking that if i have the same keywords laced throught every people-profiles.php page, and peopel keep making profiles, i will have a whole lot of chances for one of their pages to show up in the search engine when peopel search for the keywords.

is that not the case?

Not necessarily ... you're just giving google a reason to think that every page on your site is just about the same. Why, then, should google take the resources to index every single page of your site? ;) Catching my drift?

i get it.

not to be rude or offensive, but are you hypothesizing or do you know this for a fact? i really want to optimize my website in the best manner possible.

No one knows anything about google's algorithm for a fact, other than the google engineers themselves. Besides, once everyone is ALMOST sure about something, google goes and changes their algorithm to throw us off. However, I'm telling you what I know from experience in running this site in addition to what I have read from other Internet Marketing forums in addition to visiting a lot of search engine marketing and internet advertising trade shows.

so optimizing every page forthe same keywords would be worse than optimizing each page for different keywords. Because if i do the latter then i will have more oportunities to get visitors to come to my site because i am optimizing for more keywords.

for example, if i optimize only for "dodge neon, neon parts," i will only get visitors that are looking for those two keywords, but if i optimize my homepage for that, and my browse page for "dodge performance, neon performance," i now have 4 chances to get visitors to my site, instead of only 2?

this is where the field of SEO copywriting comes to play. My favorite!

should this field exist in the first place? some say no. you write for humans, not for search engines. you'll notice that pages that are written naturally, without the SE's in mind, achieve the results desired: naturally.

some say to pay attention to keyword density when copywriting. i believe the range floats be between 3 - 7%, but everyone has their own opinions. don't make your pages read like rubbish - your audience won't appreciate it, and neither with the engines.

if you are interested in seo copywriting, i believe that heather lloyd-martin is the foremost expert on the subject; i recommend reading her materials.

First you should realize (if you don't already) the it's each page that is ranked, not the whole site. One of the risks that you run in making tons of pages attempt to rank for the same keywords is a duplicate page penalty. Also you should consider that in addition to the comments promediacorp made, that the top SEOs only choose a couple of keyword phrases to target on each page, and never try for multiple pages with the same phrases.

I would like to add to the previous comments that people are now becoming more and more put off by sites which are not customer focussed but SE focussed. There is an art to getting a good balance and keeping both the SE's and public happy. But remember there is no point getting traffic if they dont convert because your site readfs robotically, isn't informaitve enough, doesnt add value to the area you're serving.

its like going to a battle and firing all your bullets killing one man..:D

I look at the concept of web site theming this way.

First, do keyphrase search frequency tests. Determine what keyphrase is the most searched for and is the most specific to your target market. Then, find five more relevant, related, industry specific terms.

This becomes the web site theme. A web site should now focus on this theme throughout, the web site theme being one primary keyphrase and five secondary keyphrases.

All of these keyphrases demonstrate importance on the Entrance Page. That is where you want to start most of the spider crawls. You can control this several ways, but that's another topic. On the Start page, include the keyphrases in Header tags, bolded text sometimes, textual links to each other, first words in paragrahs etc, but do this logically, not as an effort to manipulate the search engine but rather in an effort to indicate keyphrase importance. The visitor should get the same impression.

The keyphrases should exist in the actual content throughout the web site. In other words, these keyphrases should regularly appear throughout the sub-level pages, in order to boost the Home page. However, the primary keyphrase should be found somewhat more frequently than secondary keyphrases. You can then create sub-level pages that focus exclusively on any secondary keyphrase too but try to include at least one instance of the primary keyphrase and when you do this make sure that you have a primary keyphrase text link to the Cover page.

I look at the concept of web site theming this way.

First, do keyphrase search frequency tests. Determine what keyphrase is the most searched for and is the most specific to your target market. Then, find five more relevant, related, industry specific terms.

This becomes the web site theme. A web site should now focus on this theme throughout, the web site theme being one primary keyphrase and five secondary keyphrases.

All of these keyphrases demonstrate importance on the Entrance Page. That is where you want to start most of the spider crawls. You can control this several ways, but that's another topic. On the Start page, include the keyphrases in Header tags, bolded text sometimes, textual links to each other, first words in paragrahs etc, but do this logically, not as an effort to manipulate the search engine but rather in an effort to indicate keyphrase importance. The visitor should get the same impression.

The keyphrases should exist in the actual content throughout the web site. In other words, these keyphrases should regularly appear throughout the sub-level pages, in order to boost the Home page. However, the primary keyphrase should be found somewhat more frequently than secondary keyphrases. You can then create sub-level pages that focus exclusively on any secondary keyphrase too but try to include at least one instance of the primary keyphrase and when you do this make sure that you have a primary keyphrase text link to the Cover page.

Nice.....

This should give a head start to others

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.