Hello friends,

My website is www.thisisswitch.com. To solve the canonical issue, I placed the tag <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.thisisswitch.com/" /> on the home page. I don't understand why my site still opens in two modes with and without www. My site now opens in two modes, when opening without www, the browser is not resolving to www while opening the website. As far as i Know with the above tag, the website should or browser should resolve to www when a person types it without www.
I request all folks to help me out and let me know what should be done to sort the canonical issue if it exists

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

No, in order to do what you are describing, you need to implement a server-side 301 redirect. Adding that bit of HTML code tells Google that both pages are the same and which one is your preferred version, but it doesn't actually go the extra mile and redirect the website visitor to the preferred version.

Hello Dani,

Thanks for the clarification. However, I have developed backlinks for www version of the website and also non www version of the website thinking the link relation htmk code fixes the canonical issue. As per your say, we need to write server side 301 redirect. what will happen to the backlinks for suppose if i fix the canonical issue by 301 redirect to www version. what happens to those non www version backliks.
Further, what is indexing of website? and indexing of backlinks. are both one and the same?. If not, what's the difference. How indexing of website and indexing of backlinks for a website occurs?. I request to give your insights so that I would be clarified. I searched in google for answers,but the explaination on those topics are not simple for me to understand.

regards
sam

Hello Dani,

I did server 301 redirect and the canonical issue solved.The google indexed my site with leading www. So I used server 301 redirect from non www site.Hence, solved, thanks for the advice.
Further, I would like to know what is the difference between Google index of a website and index of backlinks for a website. I request you to let me know about this aspect that would be more clearer for me. Thanking you.

regards
sam

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.