About how many META keywords should you use? There are so many that relate to my business but I don't know how many is too many. Advice would be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 70 Replies

There is no set number since the search engines don't use that meta tag to rank sites. Put as many as you feel you need and put them in order of importance.

I limit myself to 10, don't put to much effort here, you can spend your time elsewhere and get more trafic. Good content is the key.

I think you can find the top 10-15, but I agree with stymiee, definitly put them in order of importance.

But it definitly is going to take more than keywords. Dont forget other important site elements when building your site!

IMO 8-10 keywords are fine. It should be a good combination of the important, less and more competitive keywords.You can't take all 10 keywords which are highly competitive.

meta keywords can be limit to 10 - 12 keywords ther must not be more repeation of same phrase in one certain line then it will good but most of search egnine are ignoring meta tag they onely take description's

well, I don't consider the "keyword" tag in META tags placement.

But yes, description tag would be useful and even shows it in website rankings.

Still, if you want to use the keyword tag; then place your most targeted keywords used for the web page.

Meta Keywords really have no bearing on rankings nowadays. That's because people used to use them so often to spam the search engines that the algorithm no longer focuses on keywords.

That said, it doesn't hurt to have a few, but don't exceed about 170 characters or so.

While meta tags really don't count towards much, they are so simple and easy enough to implement that there really is no reason not to do so. Spend the five minutes. The search engines are really cracking down on keyword stuffing (both in page content and meta tags) and future algorithms might be able to correctly (gasp!) differentiate appropriate keywords from black hat ones, and more weight might be put on them in the future. Likely? No. But for something that takes no more than 5 minutes, you might as well.

Yes i agree with CSCgal just spare five minutes on meta keywords and try use them also

regards
seomaster

About how many META keywords should you use? There are so many that relate to my business but I don't know how many is too many. Advice would be appreciated.

Select the best top 10 keywords. Keywords count actually does not affect your seo score...backlinking is more important..

Yes Scorring backlinks with different title text is important for google search engine to improve your ranking in google especially

thanks
seomaster

There is no set number since the search engines don't use that meta tag to rank sites. Put as many as you feel you need and put them in order of importance.

Agree, but some SEs still consider this meta thing...Focus more on contents and link build (gather more IBLs)...

A little history/reality check ...

Meta tags are used exclusively by search engines. The original major search engines (that's back in 1994/95) created them and the newer search engines, including Google, adopted the legitimacy of Meta data.

The major search engines read all meta tags. As a matter of fact, they read every single line of code that they can find within a web page in their effort to determine what the web page is all about and if the content is important enough to rank highly amongst other web pages of similar content.

The Meta Keyword Tag is always considered by the search engines.

Until the major search engines themselves declare Meta tags obsolete, it is most wise to keep using them as they provide additional indicators as to what the web page is all about and what the search engines should rank for.

Hello canadafred,

I agree with you excellent post you have done yes still some search engine meta keywords also considered to what the web page all about and how it's different from the similar web page and where to rank them in search engine for this purpose they play an important role for search engine's as my view also

regards
mallikarjun
www.directorywala.com

A general rule for the keywords meta tag is to never use words that do not appear on the page.

None of the major search engines have used the keywords meta tag since the 1990s.

From my experience, it is normally not very effective to have a lot of different keywords for any one webpage. Each webpage should have a single theme in order for it to get love from search engines, and that theme should be belted out in the title, meta tags, and on-page text, as well as in the anchor text of backlinks. So my opinion is 10 keywords is too many: go for 1-3 and stick to a single keyword theme for each page.

If your business has so many different keywords that are relevant to it, then you might want to consider creating a page on your site dedicated to each one, so that you can really push each one individually. That's my feeling about it.

there are small engines etc. that use them so the added time will pay off... just don't think it makes a huge difference... I usually just duplicate the title tag... three phrases per

SE's keep changing their algorithms quite frequently and you never know when they will again start to give importance to keyword meta tag, My point of view is one should target 8 to 10 keywords of similar category than using them all different on one single page.

IMHO, the major search engines are not likely to ever to use the keywords meta tag again, primarily due to the widespread abuse of this tag in the 1990s. People used to stuff literally hundreds of unrelated keywords into this tag on every page.

At one point, the most common keyword found in the keywords meta tag was the word "sex", which was said to be the word most commonly used in web searches.

The spider algorithms have become very good at determining keyword themes for web pages. The keywords meta tag was a precursor to this.

I have a quick question about keywords. I am writing an article (1000 words) in which the editor has requested the use of about 20 keywords. Is there a set system for noting keywords in web article content, or as a tech writer, do I merely use the keywords in the normal course of the article's text? Sorry, I know it's a simplistic question, but I'm afraid I will botch something in writing the article. Thanks for your help and all these great SEO-related posts!
Regards, mmchang

work the words in but repeat them throughout the article as appropriate.. also using headings with some of them in it would also be a big help

work the words in but repeat them throughout the article as appropriate.. also using headings with some of them in it would also be a big help

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed to know. Kind regards, from mmchang

Although most of Search engines do not consider the Keyword tags in their rankings, but the fact writing those tags are so easy and less time consuming that there is no harm, if used legitimately, in using them. It rather reinforces the keyword ideas in rankings and there are news that few big engines like yahoo do give these tags some credit.

Gaurav
Sr. Manager Prod. Dev.

well you want to take a look at a keyword density tool to ensure you do not have too many that would then be considered spam.
So take a look at the keyword density tool before starting.

My thought is that keywords are still important to let search engines know what your pages are about, but they will carry less weight over time. Build sites and pages that offer good quality content. Getting your site or article bookmarked or linked to is far more important than how many keywords are on the page.

Do we get penalized if we use too many keywords in our meta tags .

People People People!

I'm sorry to say, but most of you have NO CLUE what you are taking about. The limit is 6. Any good marketer will tell you this. You can also use submitexpress.com tool and it will tell you when you're over on your keywords. For those people that say keywords don't work...you're wrong again!!! BUT, because there is so much competition out there, keywords are great for misspelled words. Example: Many people would spell "Helio Mysto" like this (Helio misto) so we made it a keyword Meta tag. When we did, the search term came up in the #1 position. Still use your important keywords as it's like building a house...A support beam by itself does nothing, but positioned right...It will hold up your house!

All my sites are TOP performing sites. Like www.UsediPhones.net
Just enter the search term "used iPhone" in Yahoo #1 and #2 out of 200,000,000 sites and #5 in Google out of 113,000,000 sites for the search term "used iPhones".

If anyone needs help, just contact me for free advice CustomWebsiteDesigner.net
John and Cheryl Willis

Don't do stuff too much keywords only. I don't use more than 10 keywords and use those keywords which are also present in the body also.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.