Hello,

Do you think Automatic Directory Submission is a Waste of Time?

I paid for a few times on directory submission guys. They said they 'd use manual submission method but I think they used automatic software to submit to about 500 directories. Their work was done fast.

After about 3 weeks of submission, my site got indexed on google for some keywords. However, these keywords were not indexed after few weeks later and even got worse than before submission.

My question is "does it hurt my site ranking if we submitted too many directories in a short time?"

Is automatic directory submission waste of time?

Thanks very much for reading.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Submission to niche oriented directories in local network still work however it may not necessarily help if you only depends on directory submission.

I don't think it hurts your website to be submitted to about 500 webdirectories even if they use some software for it.

Most free submissions are in anyway approved month later, so maybe the first 30 or if you are lucky 50 webdirectories they submit your website will approve your listing right away, but the other 450 will take month.

But of course there are good solutions and bad out there, and while I have been looking at the same as you, then I found out that some people have build up networks of directories where they instantly approve without looking at what they approve, so maybe it isn't that good to list your site there, since it will not give you any google credit.

Yes, Automatic Directory Submission is really a waste of time. And it won't affect your ranking, if you've submitted to many directories in a short period of time. Also, although you've submitted your website to many directories, your website would not be listed in the directory site until it is a paid submission. Usually, directories would take a minimum of a weeks time to list a website in their directories. So, submitting a website to too many directories would not affect the ranking or SERP.

hmmm, if it is a waste of time, then I don't understand why it had a great impcat on our websites ?!

I still think it is a good idea to submit your website to different directpries, maybe you should look at the directories as another solution to increase your PR ranking and not just as the only solution.

Yes, because you are not sure wether your site is submitted in a right category or not.

"does it hurt my site ranking if we submitted too many directories in a short time?"

Yes, google can detect that. Google hate that kind of strategy.

I think you are right. Automatic submission is consider as spam technique.

Thanks
http://www.edact.com/holiday-songs-and-rhythms-song-book.html

Hello,

I paid for a few times on directory submission guys. They said they 'd use manual submission method but I think they used automatic software to submit to about 500 directories. Their work was done fast.

After about 3 weeks of submission, my site got indexed on google for some keywords. However, these keywords were not indexed after few weeks later and even got worse than before submission.

My question is "does it hurt my site ranking if we submitted too many directories in a short time?"

Maybe through google you can find also other effect ways to market and submit to bring traffic, i dont rely on just one way specially if it seems spammy to a search engine.

I do not agree that Automatic submission hurts the site or lead to some sort of BAN on the site.

However Automatic submission will not work in good directories because of the following reasons. So it is pointless to do the Automated submission. When I started my career as SEO I bought Dynamic Web Submission for $500 which claims to automatically post to 1000's of directories. I had used it and tested about 5 sites but not able to get a single good inclusion.

I then did a lot of trial and error experiments with IBP etc. But nothing works.

These are the reasons why an Automated submitter will never work.

CAPTCHA (IMAGE Identification) Almost all the directories will ask you to identify the characters in the randomly generated image while you do the submissions. This is possible only in manual submission.

Different categories Some directories have as less as 25 categories while others have more 3000 + categories. The category names are not consistent across the directories. Manual submission is needed to submit the web site in the right category.

Different types of form input. Some directories will ask for very few details while others may require much more details like having an user account to do the submissions. Providing appropriate data according to the directories is possible only by manual submissions.

Confirmation Most of the directories need a confirmation by which you have to manually click a verification link sent to the email and confirm that the submissions are done manually.

No automated software or service can take into account the above features of directories while submitting the web sites. The fact is most of the directories do a manual review on the submissions and will find out the automated submissions sooner or later and block them.

thanks guys, I will look in to this method manually.
thanks much.

Hello,

It's automatic when you used a software for the submission, but when you hired someone it's now manual submission. I think you must do it by yourself. But you can also hire some people who are really SEO professionals.

I totally agree with you.

Submitting to the 100's of directories in a very short period could make a bad impact on your site. Google does not like huge backlinks in a short period. If the hired guys have done the submissions very fast then i think they have used the auto submission software. Its always good to do it manually.

There are many directory lists available on web for submitting articles. You can go with these few:
directorycritic.com
directoryrecap.com
dyartts.com

Automated Directory submission tools are no good for you and your website. Manual submissions are good and you need to do it bit by bit.

Nothing can beat the hard way to earn a good reputation. Automatic is good but not in this techie world. We are dealing with humans here but computers. So its better to do the usual hard way - manual. In the long run, you will learn the trade of sending it fast, just like automatic.:)

tadisaus, what is your niche. you can post it also on my blog, i will let you put an link on the bottom :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.