Hi.
I use Win2k
PHP 4.3.1
MySql 4.1.9
Trying to install phpBB 2.0.11

My phpBB files are in C:\BB
There I added the directory ..\BB\forum

PROBLEM:
I can't get past the html "start install" page.

On that page - In Admin Configuration section:
a) Where it asks for ADMIN info; Is this my WIN2K login admin name and pw?

In Database Configuration section:
b) Where it asks for script path; I just put \forum\, as per instructions seen.

I get these errors:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]:
Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server;
consider upgrading MySQL client in C:\twBB\db\mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error():
supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\twBB\db\mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno():
supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\twBB\db\mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database"
Can you at least answer above 2 questions, if you please? Thanks.

a) Where it asks for ADMIN info; Is this my WIN2K login admin name and pw?

Just enter username and password for your future admin access to your forum. Can be anything really.

I get these errors:
"Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]:
Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server;
consider upgrading MySQL client in C:\twBB\db\mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error():
supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\twBB\db\mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno():
supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\twBB\db\mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database"

looks like you did not create a mysql database and user for this forum and did not grant all permissions to this user. Plus, it might require path to your MySQL server. The best way out is contact your hosting company and ask them the following:

- How do i create mysql database, user and grant all permissions to user
- What is the path to mysql server? Can i just put localhost?

If you have any more problems feel free to post here.

Goodluck

What if the computer is your Own webserver then?, i have the same problem, and for some reason i get the same messages when i try and setup it on my computer as well, :( , is Database Server hostname/ DSN: Localhost in that case if i am setting it up on my own computer, or have i totaly messed it up?

If you are installing it on your own computer then "localhost" is what you need to write for mySql. Make sure that mySQL server is installed on your computer as well and is launched and works properly :)

Thanks Gandalf. I finally can run MySql Administrator and MySql Browser and have finally gotten phpBB installed - thanks to you. Nothing is all that easy on Windows.

Is there some place I can now go to to learn how best to configure the newly installed code?

Thanks Gandalf. I finally can run MySql Administrator and MySql Browser and have finally gotten phpBB installed - thanks to you. Nothing is all that easy on Windows.

Is there some place I can now go to to learn how best to configure the newly installed code?

www.phpbb.com is the official website.

www.phpbbhacks.com is a great phpBB resource site where you can get code modifications (hacks), templates and graphics for your phpBB forum.

Those are two first places to visit. If you tell what spesifically you are interested in i could help you more.

I am a phpbb programmer and it seems that the information Gandalf posted, is correct, however if you would like further help try www.phpbber.com/support/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.