We have all seen blog posts that seem to go on forever or forum posts that seem to run on and on before getting to a point. Is twitter with its 140 character limit going to influence what is acceptable for post lengths in terms of traditional blogs and forums like this one? What do you think?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Most posts here are fairly short (the large ones generally have about the same amount of text but just more code,quotes etc...)

Twitter message length is tuned to the attention span of the average twitter user :icon_rolleyes:

Hi

Well it is just a software where, memory limitation is fixed up to 140 characters. I think user generally are not patient enough to read the large text. I it just a means to write your view and that 's it. Not gonna influence he way othe posts are written.

<snip fake signature>

To Jbennet, Salem and Indiainternet...all of your points are valid.

However, you might want to consider this, which lends credence to Salem's point of view and could be a foreshadowing of things to come. About 30 years ago a politician or candidate for office was judged by voters based on long form interview done in the print media and on shows like 60 Minutes, Meet The Press and other political shows. Now, they are mostly judged on sound bites. This transition started in the beginning of the first Reagan administration and by the time of the Bush v Clinton campaign in 91 sound bites were the order of the day.

I do believe the success of microblogging platforms like Twitter is due partially to the fact that blog readers welcomed a fast, straight to the point communication rather than reading long blog posts. Just my once cent.

I do believe the success of microblogging platforms like Twitter is due partially to the fact that blog readers welcomed a fast, straight to the point communication rather than reading long blog posts. Just my once cent.

I also think that the topic will dictate the type of blog, micro or macro. Twitter reminds me of the Zipper that was in Times Square (I believe they have a new version). Back in the 40's and 50's the Zipper would detail short news items and then people would check their newspapers or listen to the radio to get the full story. With the use of bit.ly and tinyurl you can tweet a quick blurb with a link.

MktgRob's Reputation I got you point of view.
Still feel too much of mess with long blogs.
Ofcourse some topics/issues are complicated enough to be lengthy in nature.

MktgRob's Reputation I got you point of view.
Still feel too much of mess with long blogs.
Ofcourse some topics/issues are complicated enough to be lengthy in nature.

For reference, the screen name of the person posting is in bold letters at the top of the comment box, so I am simply mktgrob.

Welcome to DaniWeb. I look forward to the ongoing conversations.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.