I just read on mashable that Coke is now providing their own URL shortening service so as not to lose the branding opportunity. I am sure that other big names will follow suit, especially ones with massive web-presences that cause extra-long URLS like Microsoft. But is this a fad or the next big marketing opportunity in social media. I am think it is somewhere in between. Smaller companies will not have access to the technology because it may be cost-prohibitive. Mid-size companies might be able to afford it depending on their business model. The larger companies will grab the opportunity to keep control of branding opportunities. Eventually, someone will find a cost-efficient way to make this technology available to everyone (like WordPress does for blogging).

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I believe this is a fad, just like many companies created their own communities, but it is the ones that provide most value that will retain its users for the long term.

I believe this is a fad, just like many companies created their own communities, but it is the ones that provide most value that will retain its users for the long term.

While I do agree that it will be somewhat of a fad for some companies, the Cokes, Microsofts, Dells, HPs, etc will get into this and not stop. Unlike the communities some tried to start, this is something that will require little human intervention. Some mid-sized companies will give it a go and then that will be it but the corporations love to retains branding rights and opportunities.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.