I just read this article a moment ago about a Christian Couple giving each other full access to their login information.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i4K9oYt7cM-jdwRCVMU9TgajMsygD9AHAMUG1

So what do you think?

I personally dont agree with it. Why? Well, I believe there should still be a level of privacy in a relationship.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

There are many scooping online software to detect your significant other's online activity. Is this just wrong or has the level of transparency grown to another dimension?

I just read this article a moment ago about a Christian Couple giving each other full access to their login information.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i4K9oYt7cM-jdwRCVMU9TgajMsygD9AHAMUG1

So what do you think?

I personally dont agree with it. Why? Well, I believe there should still be a level of privacy in a relationship.

I agree with your belief in a level of privacy. I think that our culture of opening up about everything, celebrities going on TV to talk about the skeletons in their closets, couples going on Dr. Phil to talk about their marital issues, etc. is running amok. There is a reason that 'TMI' is my favorite acronym.

I do think that the sense of privacy does not really exist anymore - especially where people post the most details as possible on Twitter and Facebook updates, like "just got to work now" or "read a document for work". There was a funny clip on Current TV about this: http://current.com/items/89891774_twouble-with-twitters.htm

I do think that the sense of privacy does not really exist anymore - especially where people post the most details as possible on Twitter and Facebook updates, like "just got to work now" or "read a document for work". There was a funny clip on Current TV about this: http://current.com/items/89891774_twouble-with-twitters.htm

As I said in a previous thread, thiefs are monitoring Facebook and Twitter for people who post that they are away on vacation and targeting their property for robbery. It's like chumming the water for sharks.

As I said in a previous thread, thiefs are monitoring Facebook and Twitter for people who post that they are away on vacation and targeting their property for robbery. It's like chumming the water for sharks.

Yes people do need to realize this, especially tweeters! You may think it is safe to tweet your leaving for the weekend if your profile is locked to private and only your friends see it but what if one of your friends has a public account and retweets it with a question or something?? Now everyone can see that you will be gone because they have to put the users name in a Re-tweet.

Yes people do need to realize this, especially tweeters! You may think it is safe to tweet your leaving for the weekend if your profile is locked to private and only your friends see it but what if one of your friends has a public account and retweets it with a question or something?? Now everyone can see that you will be gone because they have to put the users name in a Re-tweet.

Exactly! Many people do not realize that just because they made an entry that is meant for their small personal community that each member of their community has their own community and if they comment on your entry it goes out across both communities. Sort of like the old shampoo commercial...I told two friends, they told two friends and so on and so on and so on ad infinitum.

Who cares what a couple does. It's up to them. If you don't want to share your login information, don't. If you are eager to share it with your significant other, then go for it. No one is stopping you.

Who cares what a couple does. It's up to them. If you don't want to share your login information, don't. If you are eager to share it with your significant other, then go for it. No one is stopping you.

Valid point. But by the same token, sharing this type of information can blow up in a persons face if the relationship goes bad and one part of the relationship turns out to be vindictive. From the point of view of an online community manager, having a bad breakup play out in your community (for example, in DaniWeb) could drive some people away. But in the end, your point is just as valid as everyone elses.

Valid point. But by the same token, sharing this type of information can blow up in a persons face if the relationship goes bad and one part of the relationship turns out to be vindictive. From the point of view of an online community manager, having a bad breakup play out in your community (for example, in DaniWeb) could drive some people away. But in the end, your point is just as valid as everyone elses.

It is a very valid point that couples can share email addresses and or accounts. I guess it would have to do with how strong they're relationship is. I'm not for people posting information like leaving for the weekend on twitter because that's available for everyone to see.

Yes I can see your points about couples and who cares. But at the same token, I do believe that couples should have some privacy and this includes email accounts and logins. Couples were not born attached so if there is a breakup, then vindicative actions by one of the partners is avoided by not releasing all social media logins.

Another aspect of sharing a logon, one that does not deal with potential vindictive behavious, is what if both people are posting in the same communities and posting conflicting messages without the other person (or their knowledge). Seriously, do all couples share the same opinions and points of view on all subjects. If they are both posting under the same logon in the same forum without the other persons knowledge and they are posting conflicting views then the logon persona ends up getting a bad rep.

For example, I have a friend who shared an e-mail address with his wife and they both posted on the same forum using similar logons. They had vastly different opinions about a certain topic and when they both saw e-mails with subject lines like 'response to your post' they would read the e-mail. This led to a lot of confusion and a warning from the commmunity moderator that they were causing trouble. When they realized the difficulty they got separate e-mail addresses. I know it is rare but it could happen and if the one person is working to cultivate a reputation and conflicting messages are being posted by the same logon it could be a real issue.

This is a very interesting situation you bring up. I can see this as a major issue. Even though accounts should not be jointly operated, this does happen.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.