As I type this I realize I could be starting a major argument in this forum but what the hell. For people who blog as part of their online community, what is the best (in your opinion) blog platform to use?

For myself, I have set up blogs on Blogger and Wordpress and while both are easier to use, Wordpress is far more flexible.

So lets here your humble opinions.

Recommended Answers

All 37 Replies

I actually have used both as well as an ancient one called TypePad (I dont think it exists anymore) and a previous one on Lycos I think. Anyway, I actually like WordPress and Blogger for different reasons. But if I have to give the awards to the best - well I need to create award categories:
1. Best "Easiest Blogging System" - Blogger
2. Best "Flexible/Adaptable Blogging System" - Word Press

I actually have used both as well as an ancient one called TypePad (I dont think it exists anymore) and a previous one on Lycos I think. Anyway, I actually like WordPress and Blogger for different reasons. But if I have to give the awards to the best - well I need to create award categories:
1. Best "Easiest Blogging System" - Blogger
2. Best "Flexible/Adaptable Blogging System" - Word Press

I would agree with your awards but if we are talking the best overall I would tip my hat to WordPress.

OK, I agree with you, Wordpress is the winner.

Wordpress is the best, but you need to know which plugins to add to get the best from it

Yeah, wordpress gets my vote.

Wordpress is the best, but you need to know which plugins to add to get the best from it

And therein lies the problem. I find it is a trial and error process when searching for the not only the right plugins type but then which in each category will serve your blog the best.

I beg to disagree , the ultimate measure of any one particular thing is usability and of course functionality , and blogger beats word press squarely on this twin fronts
checkout...SNIP

I beg to disagree , the ultimate measure of any one particular thing is usability and of course functionality , and blogger beats word press squarely on this twin fronts
checkout...SNIP

Personally, I do not see either of them being miles ahead of the other in the two areas you reference. What I do not see is the massive amount of theme and plugin authorship for Blogger that exists for Wordpress.

Personally, I do not see either of them being miles ahead of the other in the two areas you reference. What I do not see is the massive amount of theme and plugin authorship for Blogger that exists for Wordpress.

Well said... while both Blogger and Wordpress are easy-to-use, Wordpress seems to be much more scalable.

While on the topic of themes for WordPress, does anyone know what goes into designing one? I have a client who markets to the labor union vertical and I have been unable to find an appropriate theme to make my client happy. So, I am wondering what it takes to build a theme. If anyone can point me in the direction of some good resources it would be appreciated.

Wordpress seems to be the most popular by far, but thesere are some other good like Typepad and Squarespace.

Andrew

Wordpress seems to be the most popular by far, but thesere are some other good like Typepad and Squarespace.

Andrew

Andrew, you are correct about Typepad and Squarespace. Additionally, there are many companies that use less commong CMS software to create corporate websites with blogs within the sites. But overall, what is your opinion what is the best one in terms of performance, flexibility, ease of use and overall blog reader/subscriber experience?

i had started off with Blogger, but off late i have been finding WO better, the best part about WP is the a mount of Plugins available on net today, it makes blogging so customizable and easy!

Wordpress wins hands down... largest support community, huge addon capabilites, very easy to setup and run, and tons of free templates for the beginners.

Mashable has been doing a weekly faceoff poll of its readers comparing two apps to one another asking which is better and this week it is the battle of the blog apps, WordPress v. TypePad. As of right now, with 2,700+ votes in, WordPress is looking like the 1927 Yankees (Murders Row with Ruth and Gherig) and TypePad is looking like the 1962 Mets (I love my Mets but they did set the record for losses in a season in 62 with a record of 40-120).

I like zzn the best... it has free email you can give away and free email marketing... the blog is simple and it works... no storage limit and you can put your own ads on if you want... AND it is all FREE.
SNIP

well, Wordpress is the best.

i use blogspot and thinking of using wordpress when i get or make content

Thanks all for your feedback and insights. It seems Wordpress is a true winner.

yes, wordpress is very good but you need to know which plugins to add to get the best from it

Well said... while both Blogger and Wordpress are easy-to-use, Wordpress seems to be much more scalable.

Agree with you Wordpress have a lot to learn before you can have a good start, or at least when you wanna change the layout and funtions of wordpress.

Wordpress and blogger are the two most popular blogging portal. I would like you to use wordpress for better scope and plugin utility.

When it comes to a blog or website that you own (where you own the domain name) then everyone says that it is wordpress. You cannot own a blog on blogger. They can take it away from you anytime that they want since they own it.

Now with wordpress it is awesome how many different great things that you can do with it but I guess that makes it much more complex than blogger. Actually the site below in my signature is blogger. Now they are supposed to have all these cool things that you can add to it, but when I try to add them, it does not work. So I think that it has bugs in it when it comes to blogger's gadgets.

But if you do not want one that you own and just want to get one right now that you can start using, then get blogger.

I agree with evryone as but i says both works well still my vote goes to blogger

Google's blogger is the best way to create a new blog. It is user friendly.

According to me Wordpress and Blogger both are good platforms for blogs. But wordpress is more superior than blogger.And you get more features in wordpress as compare to blogger.

SquareSpace (Web-Based, From $8 per month)
Posterous (Web-Based, Free)
These are good after facebook.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.