I just read today that Twitter's traffic grew over 1,100% from Last Year. Additionally, there has been some talk about Twitter rolling out some new features like "geolocation API" and "Lists."

Personally, i think Twitter is a great tool for aggregating all the news, information, and people I am interested in following... BUT if you follow more than a few dozen "people," your main page can seem overwhelming and distracting. For this reason, I am excited to see the "Lists" feature. All too often I find myself wishing for a way to categorize my different feeds by topic. For example, have a group for sports tweets separate from a group from stock market tweets.

The new "geolocation API" will now allow users to follow tweets by location. This can prove to be a powerful way for local businesses to broadcast to a local audience.

What do you think of these new features and how well will they be received by individual twitter users and also business owners?

Are there any other features you would like to see on Twitter?

I just read today that Twitter's traffic grew over 1,100% from Last Year. Additionally, there has been some talk about Twitter rolling out some new features like "geolocation API" and "Lists."

Personally, i think Twitter is a great tool for aggregating all the news, information, and people I am interested in following... BUT if you follow more than a few dozen "people," your main page can seem overwhelming and distracting. For this reason, I am excited to see the "Lists" feature. All too often I find myself wishing for a way to categorize my different feeds by topic. For example, have a group for sports tweets separate from a group from stock market tweets.

The new "geolocation API" will now allow users to follow tweets by location. This can prove to be a powerful way for local businesses to broadcast to a local audience.

What do you think of these new features and how well will they be received by individual twitter users and also business owners?

Are there any other features you would like to see on Twitter?

While I agree that the lists feature has some promise, when I first wrote a thread about the geolocation API a month ago the main focus was not on the obvious benefits for businesses but the potential for stalkers and criminals to identify where private citizens live or work. In the case of private citizens who use twitter in less than intelligent ways (broadcasting to the world when they are away on vacation, home alone or working alone, etc), this could put them in danger or make them the target of thieves (the BBC had a reformed house thief on their channel talking about how IT-savvy crooks were monitoring peoples status on Facebook and twitter to know when they would be away making their house a prime target). Fortunately, twitter has made the geolocation API an opt-in feature.

As for new functionalities, I would like to see Twitter add a URL shortner of their own in twitter. Their had been talk of adding video to twitter but that has been scrapped.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.